Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Digital Piano Amplification

ferran rc

Hello,

I have a digital piano (Gem promega 3). I use a Roland KC-500 with it in the concerts, as a main PA for the keyboard in small concerts, and as a monitor in bigger places. I'm happy with it, but I've read in the forum great opinions about the Motion Sound KP-200 and the Traynor K4.

Has anyone compared these two amps with the Roland Kc-500?

Which do you think is best for the piano sound? I like the KC-500, but I've never seen the MS or the K4, so I don't know if is there many differences in the piano sound compared to the KC-500.

Another question I have: I need a stereo system to amplify the promega 3 at home. I know there is a big difference between a mono amp and a stereo system. Many people use a pair of powered speakers, like the EV, Mackies... but I need a small system to use at home. I suppose a pair of studio monitors would produce a good piano sound.

So which studio monitors do you recommend me to amplify the Promega?

Sorry for my english...

Thanks!!

Ferran

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Studio monitors work similarly to keyboard amps in that you really need to test them out.

Ideally, you would hook the GEM up to a pair of monitors within your price range. If this is not feasible, take a CD of the music you really like to the music store and listen to it through the monitors.

Insure there is no additional outboard gear between the CD player and monitors to avoid further coloration of the sound. Good luck. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

It's been a couple years since I've worried about amplification, so I'm not up to date. But I've been happy using Klipsch 2.1 multi-media speakers for my keyboard/computer. It looks like they've given their design a goofy update - but they probably still sound great.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/gangsu/400x400.jpg

I wasn't budget-driven in my search for good sound. The Klipsch took me by surprise.

Is M-Audio still making BX8's and BX5's? Good and big sound.

Dynaudio 6-somethings (sorry I forget), even more detail.

ADAM Audio, maybe one day...

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Is M-Audio still making BX8's and BX5's? Good and big sound.

Dynaudio 6-somethings (sorry I forget), even more detail.

ADAM Audio, maybe one day...

AFAIK, the M-Audio BX monitors are still around. They sound decent too.

Those Dynaudio and ADAM boxes are the cats meow. Unfortunately, for many folks they cost more than a few tender vittles. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

well, you're already paying several grand for a keyboard, what's another, uh, several?

Of course there's always that possibility that really good speakers will make your keyboard sound really digital. :)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Archived