Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking at banjos and...

Kramer Ferrington III.

If you could have an extra string, like the fifth string on a bluegrass banjo, to what note would you tune it?

For those that hadn't noticed, bluegrass banjos have an extra string that only goes half way up the neck and is not frettable. it is, AFAIK, tuned to "G".

http://www.eaglemusicshop.com/deering/assets/banjos.jpg

You can see the extra string on the banjo on the left. That's the tuner at the 5th fret.

So what note would you choose? I think I'd pick a high "D". Any others?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...For those that hadn't noticed, bluegrass banjos have an extra string that only goes half way up the neck and is not frettable. it is, AFAIK, tuned to "G".

Hey Vince. You have one significant mistake in the above statement. The high string on a 5-string banjo is, indeed, frettable. In fact, in order to play 5 string banjo with a capo it is typical to hammer model railroad spikes at the first 3 or 4 frets above the zero-fret of the high G string in order to hold the string down similar to how a string tree holds strings down on the headstock of some guitars. You capo across the 4 string section of the neck and tuck the string under the appropriate spike to match the high G string to the rest.

I can't say how I'd tune a string like that on the guitar. It completely changes the nature of the instrument, how it's played, etc. I find 6 string banjos, tuned to standard guitar tuning, interesting toys, but they don't sound like bluegrass banjo because of the lack of a high string on the bass side of the neck.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I found a picture that illustrates the point. This is a Shubb 5th string capo that mounts to the side of the neck, slides and clamps at several different frets rather than using the model train spikes.

http://www.folkofthewood.com/Images3/shubb5thstrcapo.jpg

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived