Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

King Kamehameha

The hand is getting better. I actually played for a few minutes last night.

2 more weeks till I get the cast off..

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IiiiIiIIiIi GOTTTTT

AN AMERICAN SERIES JAZZ BASS!

In sunburst. Possible names are: Steve or Paul.

I love it a lot! I will post pictures when I can.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

As Maisie knows from the other place I had a gig cancelled tomorrow. Apparently we might get a cancellation fee and it'll be the first time I've been paid not to play! That's how much I suck! ;) Man, I'd sooner play though!

Come on Maisie, your teasing us . . .

Why Steve or Paul?

Phil that is a difficult concept to come to terms with. Do you get frustrated at dinner and dances when they are still doing speeches at 10.30 and you were booked to play from 9.30?

Do you get a non refundable deposit or is there a cancellation time at which point a full fee is payable.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Do you get frustrated at dinner and dances when they are still doing speeches at 10.30 and you were booked to play from 9.30?

Yes, yes. I get frustrated even having to take a break or if the break goes on too long. I love to gig.

Do you get a non refundable deposit or is there a cancellation time at which point a full fee is payable.

Well I'm just a hired hand so not sure of the arrangement.

Served me right, I was hoping this gig would be cancelled so I could go to the Gospel gig of the year in London (and very bassocentric this year too!) Now I just logged on to buy tickets for that and that gig is cancelled too!!!! Aaaaaaaaarrrrgghhhhhh!

Yes, that probably came across wrong. Its really annoying if you're expecting to play for 2 1/2 hours and end up only doing 1 1/2, especially if you've been sitting around for 4 hours waiting. But thats why we get paid for those gigs. For the turn up and play what you want gigs, somehow don't pay as well.

Cancelled gigs, that doesn't look too good, hope it doesn't come in 3's. I'm hoping the weather sorts itself out. We're supposed to be playing a fete in Potters Bar on Sunday. It's either going to be too hot or thunder and lightning.

Cancelled gigs, that doesn't look too good, hope it doesn't come in 3's.

Well I had the 3 already. My last gig when the pub landlady passed away. Tomorrow's gig in Tottenham and also the Gospel music gig I was hoping to get to tomorrow after mine was cancelled.

Hope that's the end of the cancellations!

ArrrggggHHH! where is my soapbox... Oh there it is!... *A-hem*

Did a gig last night for a double wedding shower, Jack n Jill or whatever you call it.

We did some 'dinner music' stuff the first set then mixed it up as we usually do from current/popular stuff to the motown, classic rock, Top 40 all the usual suspects.

People; namely one female kept on coming up cryin/whinnin'/complaining asking if we were going to do any 'modern, current' songs?!?! (Best thing was the dance floor was packed with her friends, young and old and she never danced all night...hhmm.... and she came and left alone too! That must tell ya something.) We'd ask her what she wanted to hear and never got a name or group just modern music "Cuz I know there are old people here, but there are young people that want to dance."

I am thinking about making a shower curtain enclosure for me with a backlight to be left alone. But I am sure some will stick their head in to ask if we are going to play any FiddyCent or the 'new' JayZ tune.

Phil, I will take over your cancellations from this point on.

Maisie, clappin' for your Jazz! :) I'm catching Vai down in Providence this coming October. If you are going let me know, I can provide security for you so no one will mob ya! :)

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

Well it didn't get cancelled and we even played two 'requests' no prizes for geussing what they were.

One was to do with a Southern State and the other about a woman in a car.

Yes, Brocko! Those times are a drag. It's playing the events with a wide age group and finding something for both the over 80s and the under 20s. Personally I would probably learn a few old swing songs from the 30s/40s and a few current songs I liked (Amy Winehouse of something?) but the bandleader's attitude is 'we do what we do and we're hired to play it'. If he gets requests he just point to the set list (alright, that is about 100 songs anyway - but most from 1955-1975) and says 'Pick one off there!'

Sounds fun, Red!

Maisie, clappin' for your Jazz! :) I'm catching Vai down in Providence this coming October. If you are going let me know, I can provide security for you so no one will mob ya! :)

Brocko

I'm going to see him in Boston, EVO tix yeah! but honestly I'd go twice. It's not typical of a bass player but I love Vai.

PS Phil I think Steve and Paul are nice for the colors of the bass.....and I thought about people I know and great musicians with those names too.

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

It's not typical of a bass player but I love Vai.

I'm very fond of his playing. I learned a great deal from his Martian Love Secrets column in Guitar Player many years ago. I think his sense of humour comes across in his playing - he is not beyond self-mockery.

I've read that column online. He's a very smart guy, I love his approach.

Yeah... so I tried waking up some of the other parts of the MP forums with this thread:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1765762/page/1#Post1765762

No responses, although I guess the forum was down all day.

Here are the basics:

Looking for a new mixer, like to keep it under $150. Considering the following:

Behringer Xenyx 1204

Yamaha MG12/4

Peavey PV8

And this one, although it is out of my price range:

Peavey PV10

Probably won't go Behringer for multiple reasons, I'm strongly considering the Yamaha. Thoughts?

The Yamaha looks like it is the most versital but I do like the PV10. You'll be kicking yourself later if you need that extra.

I don't think you can beat the pricing on any of them... even.. *cough* the Behringer <---- last desperate, dying resort.

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

The Yamaha looks like it is the most versital but I do like the PV10. You'll be kicking yourself later if you need that extra.

I'm strongly leaning towards the Yamaha. I just can't justify the extra $80 for the PV10. I almost had myself talked into the PV10 USB that is going for $300, but better judgement kicked in. "Need" versus "Want" and all that.

Yeah I hate that, though I've done it. I think that once we habitually use acronyms, we rarely consider what the initials stand for and they linguistically take on a life of their own. For instance, the terms WAGs is now very common in the UK to refer to the wives and girlfriends of celebrities (usually sportsmen) and eventually this term and other acronyms might become a new word with it's origin as an acronym purely of etymological interest.

Can anybody think of any everyday words that have origins as acronyms that are rarely considered?

Apparently the origin of Laser is Light Amplification through the Stimulated Emission of Radiation and radar is RAdio Detection And Ranging. Obviously also AIDS, SARS, VDU and less obviously scuba (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus). Apparently there are a lot of fake etymologies out there involving acronyms so you have to be careful.

I wouldn't notice Scuba apparatus, Radar ranging or Laser radiation but we'd probably find Aids syndrome, Sars syndrome or VDU unit annoying.

For instance, the terms WAGs is now very common in the UK to refer to the wives and girlfriends of celebrities (usually sportsmen) and eventually this term and other acronyms might become a new word with it's origin as an acronym purely of etymological interest.

Odd. WAG is the acronym for Wild A$$ Guess here in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw some an African band (Sierra Leone's Refugee All-Stars) where the bassist was playing the bass on the top of his head. So I tried it at my last gig.

The outdoor stage was covered by a small tent thing (gazebo?) in case of rain. One of the tuning pegs got caught in the tent material/pole. I swiftly disengaged it (as coolly as possible) but it put my A string out of tune.

Serves me right!

I guess I didn't look so cool!

;)