Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

King Kamehameha

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little "Hooray For Me!" post. The Steely Dan cover band killed last night. Totally rocked, crowd ages ranged from barely legal to social security range. No nerves at all when singing now. That's a big step. With big support from the diaphram I hit all the high notes. Well...most of them, anyway... Lots of kudos on our vocal harmonies. Bar numbers were great, owner wants us on a regular rotation.

I have to admit that the lead singer makes me sound better than I am. When I'm doing backup vocals I often can just sing the melody of the chorus and he sings a solid harmony. Methinks backups are much harder than singing lead.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Congrats Pablo!

Backups can be a lot tougher if just one person is out of key. Before you know it everyone is warbling thinking it's them.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

'Twas about, oh, nine months to a year ago where Starbuck's here in the US were closed for an entire morning so that the baristas could be "trained" to make a decent cup of coffee. It appeared that so many stores had opened so soon with so little training that there were 50 ways to have your mocha, and 42 of them were terrible.

I have a hard time getting all weepy-eyed about poor Juan Valdez and his free-trade, organic, environmentally friendly coffee when they are gouging me $5 for a poorly crafted medium mocha.

... and don't get me started about the tool owner who sold the Seattle Sonics to bankers in Oklahoma City that publicly stated their desire to move a basketball team to the 47th largest television market in North America, then carped when they moved the team.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Never have cared for Starbucks coffee. It's mediocre at best - and I am a terrible coffee snob. Why, I am enjoying a cup of fresh burr ground Italian Roast this very minute and yes, I know it's 4:17 a.m.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I don't know if you guys have it there, but in Europe there's Nespresso a Nestle brand popularized by George Clooney, they have this strong expresso called Arpegio. My favourite.

I'm a bit of a coffee snob myself, it's close to impossible to find a decent cup of coffee in England.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

'Twas about, oh, nine months to a year ago where Starbuck's here in the US were closed for an entire morning so that the baristas could be "trained" to make a decent cup of coffee.

Baristas? Why do they get a fancy name. It's basically a fast food joint. 6 basic items arranged in different ways. You wouldn't give the french fry guy at McDonald's a title of Fryilator Extraordinaire . These people need to get over themselves. Spell check doesn't recognize the title so I won't either. The first time I heard someone proudly call themselves a barista I spit my coffee out of my nose so far the custodial engineer had to wipe down the walls and floor. Oh wait, that was a barista that wasn't busy, sorry. And really sorry about that incident in the bathroom, you know guys don't quite have that "hover" thing down to a science yet but given the product they sell, they should be used to sudden inspirational moments in the lavatory.

I'll take a good honest cup of coffee from a busy diner or breakfast spot any day.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barista

Folger's Columbian Roast and Cap'n Crunch w/ Crunchberries.

Yeah, Folger's may not be the best coffee, but it taste the same every morning I make it. I'll hit a small "mom and pop" stand down the road. Since they aren't Starbuck's, they have to be good to get the repeat customers. I'm thinking iced mocha right now (high of 103 today).

You're a Fryilator Extraordinaire.

or, consequently,

You're a sudden, inspirational movement.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

'Twas about, oh, nine months to a year ago where Starbuck's here in the US were closed for an entire morning so that the baristas could be "trained" to make a decent cup of coffee.

Baristas? Why do they get a fancy name. It's basically a fast food joint. 6 basic items arranged in different ways. You wouldn't give the french fry guy at McDonald's a title of Fryilator Extraordinaire . These people need to get over themselves. Spell check doesn't recognize the title so I won't either. The first time I heard someone proudly call themselves a barista I spit my coffee out of my nose so far the custodial engineer had to wipe down the walls and floor. Oh wait, that was a barista that wasn't busy, sorry. And really sorry about that incident in the bathroom, you know guys don't quite have that "hover" thing down to a science yet but given the product they sell, they should be used to sudden inspirational moments in the lavatory.

I'll take a good honest cup of coffee from a busy diner or breakfast spot any day.

Nice. THanks for the laugh.

The compound they called an office building where I last worked had a little convenience store next to the cafeteria that sold Green Mountain coffee. It was quite good and ever since we got a Costco membership I've been buying a 3 lb. bag of their beans every trip. It also happens to be one of the least expensive coffees they have per lb. I used to be a pretty finicky coffee snob but I've settled for anything that doesn't require financing or taste like it was used to clean an ashtray.

There is also a local icecream shop here that I'm in love with that has extraordinary coffee.

Dunks 4 Life, beaches!