Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

King Kamehameha

You Sir are a http://talkwiththepreacher.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/pink_sprinkled_donut.jpg

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward Father's Day this weekend - at my house!

Not sure about the meat, but the family folks are all bringing something. We'll have burgers, but not sure what the "other" meat will be. Might be pork loin, might be grilling sausages or pinwheels. Should be a busy day Saturday cleaning to get ready...

Our life seems like it's in "keepin-on" mode. Nothing exciting, nothing bad. I'm not complaining...

And yes - we are still reading this.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

We'll have burgers, but not sure what the "other" meat will be.

Tom

OK, so wrong thread for this. But if you're having burgers then do it right. Try this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Napa-Valley-Cabernet-Burgers-108303

You don't have to put them on focaccia, but do put it on something other than that ubiquitous Wonder Bread type of burger bun. It is the bomb. I've done'em a couple of times, and have even had a 12 year old nephew say to me, "Hey, these are really good burgers!" Smart kid.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Wow! Fathers day. I forgot all about it.

I wonder what my son will get me - he got me an iPod for my birthday that I don't use. MP3 format sucks at volume.

I could always use a new framing hammer . . .

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Ah yes, Father's Day.

This will be my second Father's day and I expect it will be like the first. Though I expect to hear the plan at about 9pm Saturday, as usual.

- Clean house, vacuum pool, mow lawn

- Buy a lot of food and cook it (grill plus 2 kitchens). Grill portion will probably be steaks along with burgers, dogs and other meats etc.

- "Just the family" (wife's) comes by (10-16 people), mostly empty handed.

- Me, working the grill, and otherwise making everything happen.

- Me, no one to really even talk too, mostly due to the inability to speak each others language. But that's fine I'll be running around like a nut anyway. I typically expect about 30 trips up and down a full flight of stairs. Answer questions as to why I look so beat.

- "Family" leaves, wife passes out on couch 10 minutes later, I take care of my daughter until bedtime.

- I finally get a chance to eat something of what's left, start drinking.

- Clean the house and outside again, grab 4 hours sleep before going to work exhausted.

Oh joy, can't wait. The above isn't only a father's day affair but happens just about every other week.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Ah yes, Father's Day.

This will be my second Father's day and I expect it will be like the first. Though I expect to hear the plan at about 9pm Saturday, as usual.

- Clean house, vacuum pool, mow lawn

- Buy a lot of food and cook it (grill plus 2 kitchens). Grill portion will probably be steaks along with burgers, dogs and other meats etc.

- "Just the family" (wife's) comes by (10-16 people), mostly empty handed.

- Me, working the grill, and otherwise making everything happen.

- Me, no one to really even talk too, mostly due to the inability to speak each others language. But that's fine I'll be running around like a nut anyway. I typically expect about 30 trips up and down a full flight of stairs. Answer questions as to why I look so beat.

- "Family" leaves, wife passes out on couch 10 minutes later, I take care of my daughter until bedtime.

- I finally get a chance to eat something of what's left, start drinking.

- Clean the house and outside again, grab 4 hours sleep before going to work exhausted.

Oh joy, can't wait. The above isn't only a father's day affair but happens just about every other week.

Damn. And here I was missing the family life.

I gotta go taint smite myself.

vacuum pool

OK, so the pool needed a new solar cover this year; they only last three or four years. I figured I'd buy the clear one; more short wavelength electromagnetic radiation (uh...visible wavelength light...) makes it through the cover and gets absorbed by the pool liner thus radiates long wavelength electromagnetic radiation (heat) into the pool water that gets kept inside the pool via the insulating properties of the solar cover. So far, so good. Pool is unusually warm for this time of year. Down side is that I've had to attack the pool twice for algae growth even though I'm using the same amounts of chemicals. Damn photosynthesis. Ruins everything. More chemicals, please.......

Paul, maybe you should have gotten one of the solar heaters for your pool. I got one this year, pretty cheap, no ongoing costs. There is one problem though, it only works when it sunny, it hasn't been sunny for a long time.

Maybe you NY pansies need to suck it up and jump in the cold water and be thankful for what you have and not complain.

I have a kiddie pool we fill up on the roof deck on nice days to soak our feet while grilling.

Paul, maybe you should have gotten one of the solar heaters for your pool. I got one this year, pretty cheap, no ongoing costs. There is one problem though, it only works when it sunny, it hasn't been sunny for a long time.

The wife has been jonesin' for one of those numbers since our season is kind of short here. The pool pump is in the garage, so it'd be a short run for the pipes. An extra five or eight degrees F would make a huge difference.

I have a kiddie pool we fill up on the roof deck on nice days to soak our feet while grilling.

Your kiddie pool wouldn't stand a chance here in the arid steppes of eastern Wash. It would be a sandbox in five hours.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Davio, don't get your undies in a bunch. Me not going in the pool is largely to the fact that whenever I've been home, it's been pouring like crazy, not that I've never went swimming in the rain either. The extra few degrees is mostly for the wife and my (almost) 2 year old, I'm well insulated.

Have fun putting you feet in that cesspool of a Dora the Explorer pool you covet so much. I would imagine that the bacteria level is just above that of the hair-trap in the communal shower of a homeless shelter.

I'm well insulated.

Have fun putting you feet in that cesspool of a Dora the Explorer pool you covet so much. I would imagine that the bacteria level is just above that of the hair-trap in the communal shower of a homeless shelter.

ROFL............................................

Me? Three minutes in the pool and my lips turn blue.

OH SSSSSSSNAP!

Nicely done.

In my defense, I'll restate that we fill it up on nice days. Meaning it doesn't double as a mutant mosquito cultivating petri dish. It gets cleaned, deflated and stored in the closet. Like moot's girlfriend.

Nicely done.

In my defense, I'll restate that we fill it up on nice days. Meaning it doesn't double as a mutant mosquito cultivating petri dish. It gets cleaned, deflated and stored in the closet. Like moot's girlfriend.

Think about that a minute Skipper. Consider the cost of dating as opposed to a one time expense. Of course there is the occasional need for a tire patch and rubber cement but, really . . .

Nicely done BTW