Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite disk right now and why

I notice a real lack of discussion of music around here lately. I just got some new disks, and that magical thing happened when i actually really really dig one of them. I've listened to it probly 14 or 15 times already in 4 days. My entire perspective of what music can be is usually altered when i find a release like this, It doesn't happen often, but it sure is nice when it does. What are you listening to latley and what do you like about it. Here is a chance to rave about your favorite music. What draws you to it, the production, song writing, players involved? It doesn't matter what but try to desribe it, i think that this will be very educational for everyone to hear the different ways that we all listen to things. Share your enthusiasm and maby we can all find some new stuff to listen to. If it's a rare cd or record, tell us where to order it from if you can. I for one will be checking some things out. Please, let's NOT turn this into a thread about bashing each others interests, we all like different things, have some respect for each other please. I'll start.... The newest Garbage CD, Beautiful Garbage. This is a fucking work of art. What i love about it is, well first off, the thing just SOUNDS stunning. It is crystal clear. The songs are top top notch. So is all the musicianship and production ideas and arranging. I just can't say enough about it, it is everything that i love about pop rock music rolled into one ultra modern little pack. I couldn't be happier. (Giggle giggle) Next.......

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmm..Blue Green Orange from I Mother Earth is in my CD player right now with "summertime in the void" on repeat...that break in the bridge and the BASSLINE - my GOD! Sounds incredible at 800 watts maxed out in this tiny bedroom... :D Favourite Disc? Damn...where would I start?
meh

Stone Temple Pilots - "Shangri-la Dee Da" They finally nailed the whole Zeppelin meets the Beatles thing they've been striving for on this one. They rock as hard as anyone on some tunes (Coma, Dumb Love), and then they throw a beautiful pop work of art (Everything) at you. And the first time I heard "A Song for Sleeping", I felt like crying. It's such a wonderful expression of a father's love for his child. I'm not kidding, this album is miles beyond anything else they've done. The arrangements are compelling, the sounds are gorgeous, and the songwriting is top notch. And, everytime I listen I swear I hear something new. And speaking of BGO, what the hell has happened to I Mother Earth? Their web-site hasn't been updated in forever. Are they still a band? Frank http://www.mp3.com/spigots

Michael Jackson "BAD" Special Edition Michael has just released a new CD of new music and in addition to that has released remastered special Editions of "Off The Wall", "Thriller", "Bad" and "Dangerous". All these CDs come with the outakes which didn't make the record along with Quincy Jones interviews. There incredible and most have taken home grammys for "Best Engineered Album of the Year" along with numerous other awards. When I was first starting out I got to work on the Bad album (2 year gig), there are outakes on this CD I've not heard in almost 15 years. I HIGHLY recomend these CDs enjoy

I've noticed myself putting in my Mannheim Steamroller discs lately ("Christmas In The Aire" and "The Christmas Angel"). Every now and again, I just get in the mood to hear music that (I feel) is a benchmark for what a really good recording should sound like. Those discs really reach out of the speakers and grab you. Plus, the music is just plain fun to listen to, you know? Now, I don't want to be self serving or self important, but I am also really enjoying this remastering project I've embarked on for my family, for two reasons: A) I get to hear my grandfather playing the piano, both solo and with the Santa Barbara symphony. (He died a couple of years before I had the chance to breathe fresh air, so...) I'm definitely not a huge fan of classical music (No we don't need another 17 variations, PLAY THE INTERESTING PART AGAIN!), but it grows on you when it's a family member playing it, and when you've heard the pieces 20 times over trying to breathe life into the recording. :D B) I get a good challenge in trying to scoop the muck out of the recordings and make them as good as I can possibly get them. There's such a blurry line between getting the mud out and sucking the life out of recordings like these. -Danny [ 10-30-2001: Message edited by: Danny M ]

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

Shiner -- The Egg. Impeccable rocking, impeccable songwriting and performance. Amazing production. It just sounds positively huge. Houston -- Head Like a Roadmap. Another indyrock special. I actually hate the mastering on this one because there's so much dynamic range I can't listen to it in the car. Then again, there's tons of dynamic range on it. Rare for a rock album these days. Awesome songwriting, "lower" production values but appropriate for the indy vibe. Moloko -- Do You Like my Tight Sweater? It's not brand new, but very very funky. P-Funk meets trip hop. --JES

God Hates Us All By SLAYER is getting some serious play these days. I think it's their best album since Reign In Blood. Beautifully hellacious and just as brutal as ever. Definately helps me deal with all the madness and disease going on these days. JLB :mad:

ATOMIX! :evil:

http://www.abc.net.au/common/logos/whtblkgrn.gif

[quote]Originally posted by spigots: [b]Stone Temple Pilots - "Shangri-la Dee Da" [/b][/quote] Man, are they getting deep-sixed or what? I never remember to buy that whenever I'm somewhere where they'd have it because I never see/hear anything about it.... No video? Not on the radio at all? How does that work (we all *know* how that works, don't we?). Got to remember to buy that.... I've been listening to the new Diana Krall (the apparently "bad sounding" one). That and a free Windham Hill sampler. Listening to Debussy's "LaMer" now, thought... The Krall cd (too bad that's her real name: another great name for a death metal band... K R A L L) has some really cool string arrangements on it, syrupy but in a novel way, with Claus Ogerman's penchant for curious voicings evident. It's nice and smoooof. I don't want to hear NIN at the moment, with the world coming to an end. [ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Chip McDonald ]

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I just heard Mushroomhead for the first time live at the Alrosa Villa. These guys are genious. They kicked my ass. The next day I took off work and drove 3.5 hours to see them in Cleveland (Home show!). I don't usually care for the theatrical thing. Strip it all away and these guys still kicked ass. They have some songs on these cd's that are total genious. Not the mall/horrorcore trendy shit I was expecting. (My bud convinced me we had to go.) :) And I'm one of these hardcore Discordance Axis/Napalm Death/Assuck/Slayer/Underground thrash/death/grind/crust metal maniacs from way back. (Aside from all my other wacked tastes.) P.S. I was really impressed with the new Slayer, too. Tom is fucking hilarious. Who told this guy to sing? My buddy has a theory that the other guys torture Tom in the studio buy being assholes so they can get him all pissed off. [ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: dr destructo ]

"Time Out" / The Dave Brubeck Quartet This is an amazing account of a magical monent in history. I used to listen to this (vinyl) as a kid. If you 've listened to this CD reissue from 1959!, you'll agree that it still kicks ass!

GY

[quote]Originally posted by JES: [b]Shiner -- The Egg. Impeccable rocking, impeccable songwriting and performance. Amazing production. It just sounds positively huge. Houston -- Head Like a Roadmap. [/b][/quote] I ordered The Egg yesterday. I've been wearing out the mp3s of "The Egg" and "Play Dead" they relaesed a few weeks ago. Do you have a URL for Houston? I know they've toured alot with Shiner, but I've never heard any of their stuff. TIA, Frank

Chip, I think you're right about STP getting buried for some reason - I don't think I even knew they had a new record! Thanks for the heads-up spigots, I definitely wanna hear that one! Can't say that I'm listening to much new music right now cuz since my band got together I'm totally immersed in writing and recording my own stuff for a change. Although I'm enjoying the hell out of "Girl With A Job", the new CD from our own d. gauss, and I just got my FATCO CDs in the mail yesterday so I'll be checking that out too! --Lee [ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Lee Flier ]

[quote]Originally posted by spigots: [b] And speaking of BGO, what the hell has happened to I Mother Earth? Their web-site hasn't been updated in forever. Are they still a band? http://www.mp3.com/spigots [/b][/quote] Last I checked they were working on a new album. The band is notorious for just falling off the face of the earth whenever they work on a record. I'll give the band a call later and see what's up. If I can't post the news here, can I get in touch with you from the mp3 site? Peace, Harold
meh

Is it possible that the Stone Temple Pilots newest work is being promoted by non-promotion? Now, I'm not trying to be zen here. What I mean is, is that they and/or their label may have had the sneaky and brilliant idea of letting the music either connect with people or not. And, from your own comments, it has. Think of how much more effective the "build" on that will be once it gets underway-music that catches on only based on "word of mouth". No corporate push, no MTV shyster-sell. And, who really goes along with that anymore anyway? Ya think?

[quote]Originally posted by 'rold: [b] Last I checked they were working on a new album. The band is notorious for just falling off the face of the earth whenever they work on a record. I'll give the band a call later and see what's up. If I can't post the news here, can I get in touch with you from the mp3 site? Peace, Harold[/b][/quote] I did some investigating yesterday. My URL Link to them was to the BGO site. On a whim I just typed in http://www.imotherearth.com . New site, new graphics and a few tid-bits of news. Lets hope they put something out pronto! Frank [ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: spigots ]

Archived