Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poll: Do you use a distortion pedal?

sduross

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes...when the song calls for it. I've used or tried quite a few different things. The best sounding bass distortion I own is the MXR M80...however, it gets just a little too buzzy for my tastes (unless I need something that's completely over the top). I actually like the grit of the Sansamps a little better (bought the MXR because I liked it's clean tone just a little better). I'm eyeballing those MXR Blowtorch's though...those have a nice sound and quite a bit of flexibility.

In fact, I was playing with the M80 a bit tonight. It's amazing to me how analog pedals sound so much better than even some of the high-end multi-effects and amp modeller gadgets. Just amazing...why is that?

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

IMHO, sound is an analog phenomenon.

Indeed! I guess I'm :deadhorse: here, but you'd think with the expense of these things and all the technology that goes into them...well, you'd just think that these multi-effects would sound *better* than a simple analog pedal...BUT, the reality is that this just isn't the case, especially if you're talking about good or even just decent analog pedals. Some things in life are just surprising, I guess.

I'm on the verge of ditching the digital crap and just going all analog...especially since some of the digital stuff just isn't letting me do what I would expect it to allow.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I remember when the CD first came out. A lot of audiophiles that I knew were breathlessly waiting for that day. No more hiss, crackle or pop, no more skipping. When the CD's arrived, they all pretty much said that there was a certain something missing that was plane to hear on vinyl; a depth of sound that was evident on vinyl but unable to be created by CD. I have never heard anyone really say that technology has closed that gap. Me, I don't know if it was an issue of vinyl snobbery, a Luddite fear of new technology or what.

Not an opinion at all, sound is an analog phenomenom. By virture of the physics and understanding the mathematical conepts, I don't think it can be 100% faithfully replicated by digital means. Maybe my ear isn't able to decerne it, but there are lots of better ears out there.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Nah I don't use one. I used to when i first started but just use the overdrive on my amp.

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Archived