Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Poll: Do you use a distortion pedal?

sduross

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...
Yep, I have the EH english muff'n. It handles the bass frequencies VERY well. Actually I can get it to boost the bass frequencies. Ive been through ALOT of distortion pedals (vintage big muff and little big muff, modern big muff and little big muff, boss bass overdrive, Danelectro Blue paisley(actually very good), DOD grunge, etc.

I'm lucky enough to have access to the Bass Player pedal locker... which is actually just a few US mail tubs fulla pedals. So I've taken home several distortion boxes to play with, and I gotta say, I've brought every single one of them back, opting to stick with my tried and true Boss Bass Overdrive. Maybe I'm just not much of a pedal guy, and I know the Boss is nothing special, but I prefer things simple, and I like the basic driven and distorted tones in that pedal. Hmmm... but now that I'm thinking about it...maybe I'll try something else tonight...
Web Director, NewBay Media. msidman@nbmedia.com

sometimes. an overdriven tube amp sounds way better of course, but i do not always have:

a) the time to fiddle with the knobs on the amp

b) a tube amp that i can distort

i use a sansamp programmable bassdriver. it's still a world of difference against a real tube amp (at least a real tube amp keeps your dynamics) but it is something i can afford. i've been playing for 15 years now and this is my second distortion pedal (if you could call it that). my setup consists of this pedal, a tuner pedal and an old 4x10 trace elliot combo (nope, no tubes here :( ).

cheers!

I've seen that locker....the stuff in there is the stuff that no one on the BP staff thought was worth it to move it 50 feet down the hall to their offices. ;)

AHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... oh man, Jeremy, too true!

It's also full of half-cool pedals with no AC cords and funky plug sizes...which are only useful for throwing at interns who get outta line.

Web Director, NewBay Media. msidman@nbmedia.com

I have a Boss ODB Bass Overdrive and never use it. I´m not patient with knobs (I love the P jeje). I want a tubey distorted sound. I plan to buy a Sansamp to run into a decebt GK or directo to PA, cause tube preamp + poweramp are expensive and complicated configuration, and a tubed head its very heavy.

I've got through a few distortion devices over the years, Zoom 506 & Boss BE-5B multi-FX, Voodoo Lab Superfuzz and Sparkledrive, I still own a Fulltone BassDrive and Sovtek Big Muff, and I have an MXR Bass Blowtorch enroute. I don't use distortion often nowadays but when I do it isn't a subtle effect by any means!

Alex

Archived