Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hey gamers: Xbox, gamecube, or PS2?

i'm going to sell my DC (it was great for awhile- soul caliber & nba2k), which will be the next great system? i have a dvd player, so that capability doesn't matter. [b]PS2[/b]: tons of games, backwards compatibility [b]Xbox[/b]: PC game developers, gates factor (i'm a mac guy, but bill has major connections) [b]gamecube[/b]: seems to be last choice, but i hear nintendo won't be just for kids anymore c'mon Chip, popmusic, etc: what'ya think?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oooohweee, it's such a hard choice. On the one hand, there's the PS2 and the "Final Fantasy" series. On the other hand, there's the Xbox and "Halo". Of course, "Halo" is coming out for both Mac and PC platforms as well, albeit with a (probably) hefty hardware requirement. PS2 may be edging ahead... -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

PS2!!!! I'm gonna treat myself to one for Christmas...unless someone else wants to buy me one.... ;) I love RPGs and I LOVE the selection for playstations. Final Fantasy X looks amazing! Gotta have it... Any of you tried the Game Boy Advance yet? I love mine... handy for all the remote recording I do... :D Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

ah, RPG...i can remember playing "adventure" on atari and thinking that someday that type of game would be so good i'd never leave the house. chrono trigger on SNES was pretty great, too. shenmue crossed with FF would be the ultimate. i'm a little behind, but i just got into diablo- the original was on sale at best buy for $9, i'm not getting much done these days... i'm sure the other systems will have some good rpgs too. hey chip & pop- opinions on the consoles of 2002?

Thanks for the link KikkyMonk! I've seen some of those images..but not all... It looks great! I can't wait! I guess I should try to finish FF8 first... :rolleyes: :D I never really found FF9 very interesting... I've now got a great new wallpaper for my desktop! :D Valky

Valkyrie Sound:

http://www.vsoundinc.com

Now at TSUTAYA USA:

http://www.tsutayausa.com

Hey! I have a DC and the PS2, and maybe I'm getting old, but I am finding it harder and harder to find good games that hold my interest. My favourite has to be the Resident Evil series, which is moving over to Gamecube. Nintendo has Resident Evil, Zelda, Mario and everything looks great. Cheaper than the PS2 as well. I have to say get the Gamecube AND the PS2 (Final Fantasy!), but if I had to choose, I would sell my PS2. I think Nintendo is going to do really well this time 'round. I have no comment on the Gates project. :p Chris.

PS/2 is already established. Watch: they'll drop the price right before Christmas. Just as the others were slow getting their systems out, they'll be slow to respond and they'll be dead a year and a half out from now I think. Looks like Nintendo is trying hardest between them and Microsoft, though. I predict XBox will be dropped by 2003. Gamecube may last longer, if they get their game developement in gear. I think what's interesting to note here is that these units represent the pinnacle of the *current* era of video games. As such, they're relatively closely matched; because of that, it's a content battle really instead of a platform battle. Sony being already established makes it their win. I think there may be one more platform to come out in the next 3 years before we see a paradigm shift in capability that will make a whole new array of games viable in a different social manner. What I mean by that is that the systems that will come out around 2005 should be basically photo-realistic and probably full contact voxel space realized. That will be a paaradigm shift. Not PS/2 photorealistic but real deal photo realistic. When that happens a new audience will appear. I think this is something no one has contemplated as of yet: when the games become indistinguishable visually from "real", their appeal will go off the scale. Note that as the realism increases the stigma against "playing games" decreases. It becomes more enthralling to a tertiary audience that would never have been caught playing a game before this era. When a guy can control a game on screen that looks *just like what he sees on Monday Night Football*, or some such - a large portion of the current television audience will transfer over to videogames. At that point it will essentially be television where the visual/audio content is interacted with: that's impossibly appealing I think. Which, by 2010, will lead to the equivalent of virtual reality "channels". I think society wlil become transfixed by interaction with each other in a common medium with such a "solid" visual/auditory reality. It will be like a drug. Everything will be moldable onscreen; advertising will only occur through the creative use of virtual reality agents, which have to vie for positioning in whatever "reality" people create. The internet folds into it as the propagation medium; when this new generation of consoles come out, the sudden increase in interest in large numbers will create a new demand for an increase in IP bandwith, maybe a radical one. Meanwhile, small groups of people will still interact in reality. By 2020 it won't matter, the AI's will have taken over by then. So, the thing to be learned here is to have fun with the next generation of videogames since we're all doomed anyhow, we'll probably not make it that far past the the nano-tech/programmable matter stage of things. Heck, we'll probably not make it past next year, but here's hoping. So see, it doesn't really matter which game console you buy now, unless you don't have a DVD player. That's why I'll probably end up with a PS/2; besides, Grand Turismo III is worth getting it alone. (an imagination can be used for things other than music) (I'm just joking, right?)

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]PS/2 is already established. Watch: they'll drop the price right before Christmas. Just as the others were slow getting their systems out, they'll be slow to respond and they'll be dead a year and a half out from now I think. Looks like Nintendo is trying hardest between them and Microsoft, though. I predict XBox will be dropped by 2003. Gamecube may last longer, if they get their game developement in gear. I think what's interesting to note here is that these units represent the pinnacle of the *current* era of video games. As such, they're relatively closely matched; because of that, it's a content battle really instead of a platform battle. Sony being already established makes it their win. I think there may be one more platform to come out in the next 3 years before we see a paradigm shift in capability that will make a whole new array of games viable in a different social manner. What I mean by that is that the systems that will come out around 2005 should be basically photo-realistic and probably full contact voxel space realized. That will be a paaradigm shift. Not PS/2 photorealistic but real deal photo realistic. When that happens a new audience will appear. I think this is something no one has contemplated as of yet: when the games become indistinguishable visually from "real", their appeal will go off the scale. Note that as the realism increases the stigma against "playing games" decreases. It becomes more enthralling to a tertiary audience that would never have been caught playing a game before this era. When a guy can control a game on screen that looks *just like what he sees on Monday Night Football*, or some such - a large portion of the current television audience will transfer over to videogames. At that point it will essentially be television where the visual/audio content is interacted with: that's impossibly appealing I think. Which, by 2010, will lead to the equivalent of virtual reality "channels". I think society wlil become transfixed by interaction with each other in a common medium with such a "solid" visual/auditory reality. It will be like a drug. Everything will be moldable onscreen; advertising will only occur through the creative use of virtual reality agents, which have to vie for positioning in whatever "reality" people create. The internet folds into it as the propagation medium; when this new generation of consoles come out, the sudden increase in interest in large numbers will create a new demand for an increase in IP bandwith, maybe a radical one. Meanwhile, small groups of people will still interact in reality. By 2020 it won't matter, the AI's will have taken over by then. So, the thing to be learned here is to have fun with the next generation of videogames since we're all doomed anyhow, we'll probably not make it that far past the the nano-tech/programmable matter stage of things. Heck, we'll probably not make it past next year, but here's hoping. So see, it doesn't really matter which game console you buy now, unless you don't have a DVD player. That's why I'll probably end up with a PS/2; besides, Grand Turismo III is worth getting it alone. (an imagination can be used for things other than music) (I'm just joking, right?)[/b][/quote] Ever read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson? Many of these ideas are conveyed in that book. It's worth a read. Anyway, I agree with your ideas, and I think it's also worth mentioning that once we get pretty far into a more realistic virtual reality, many will have difficulty distinguishing between the two (especially kids). Who knows what's going to happen... -- Jimmy

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]I predict XBox will be dropped by 2003.[/b][/quote] I dunno, Chip. Microsoft has invested a ton of time and money into this, plus, they already have a ton of developer support. I'm debating getting a PS2 over the Xbox, but I just can't decide :D . I have a PS One right now that I've had for years. While the PS2 has been out for a while and has great game support, the specs of the Xbox totally crush it! Check [url=http://www.xbox.com/Hardware/consoles/xbox.htm]this[/url] out for starters. I mean, a 733MHz processor for a gaming console. That's crazy :D ! [ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: Dylan Walters ]

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]I think there may be one more platform to come out in the next 3 years before we see a paradigm shift in capability that will make a whole new array of games viable in a different social manner. [/b][/quote] As a first step, console manufacturers need to get rid of the controllers with a zillion buttons and replace it with an entirely different interface... If you think about it, game controllers have not progressed all that much since the Atari 2600 days. Today, they're basically the same thing except with more and more buttons... As a result, too many modern games are like memorizing patterns a la Simon Says. If you're playing a football game and you want to tackle another character in the game, there needs to be a direct way to tackle them without resorting to patterns that have [i]nothing[/i] to do with the action on the screen. The controllers have to allow a direct connection between the player and the desired onscreen action. In Pac Man, if you move the joystick up, Pac Man moves up. If you move the joystick down, Pac Man moves down, etc... Pac Man is an excellent match between the user interface and the onscreen action. Games are graphically more complex now, but the controls are still the same... And oftentimes, what you're required to do with the controls to make an onscreen action happen are too far removed from the way our bodies naturally react. You shouldn't need to "learn" the moves for a game -- you should be able to pick it up intuitively. There really needs to be a breakthrough of some sort with the user interface if we're really to progress to the next level of video games. Otherwise, we're going to be recycling Street Fighter II for years to come... Likewise, they need to get rid of the TV screen too... State of the art games in the future shouldn't be restricted a flat screen... [ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: popmusic ]

What I would like to see is espn2 coverage of gaming as sports. The amount of time that some people spend playing games like Unreal Tournament or Gran Turismo is unbelievable. Their mastery of such games is mind-blowing. I think some of them spend more time perfecting game play than many well known athletes in real sports. Hey, remember my name. When there is a Gran Turismo world championship, I am taking home the gold medal. Somebody borrowed all my cars and I guess he liked them too much cos he never returned them. Not even my fully upgraded viper. :(

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b] The controllers have to allow a direct connection between the player and the desired onscreen action. Likewise, they need to get rid of the TV screen too... State of the art games in the future shouldn't be restricted a flat screen... [ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: popmusic ][/b][/quote] Try pinball! :D

[quote]Originally posted by Jimmy Foster: [b] Ever read "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson? [/b][/quote] My life seems to have something synchronistic happening in it everyday. No, I haven't read Snowcrash. But I *just bought it today*......

[quote]Originally posted by popmusic: [b] In Pac Man, if you move the joystick up, Pac Man moves up. [/b][/quote] I think that's why Galaga still survives. People notice latency, even if they can't explain it. Doing button combinations to see something unrelated onscreen is kooky, I don't get that at all. It's weird watching a kid get off seeing something on screen do a move that *they* can't literally do, doesn't make sense to me. Force feedback though - that's a great advance.

[quote]Originally posted by clock: [QB]Their mastery of such games is mind-blowing. [qb][/quote] A student of mine won $2,000 last week in some sort of video game playoff tournament. There's some pretty serious people into it.... [b]ey, remember my name. When there is a Gran Turismo world championship, I am taking home the gold medal. Somebody borrowed all my cars and I guess he liked them too much cos he never returned them. Not even my fully upgraded viper. :( [/b] When they come out with a photo-realistic driving game I'm going to have to be very careful to avoid it. No more than 5 years off I would say...

Galaga lives on because it [i]plays[/i]. I should know...I have a coin-op Galaga (and Ms. Pac-Man) in my apartment. In fact, Galaga is 20 years old this year, and Namco re-released it for the anniversary in a dual game cabinet featuring Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man. That is why the arrival of photo-realism doesn’t mean much of anything to a gamer. Sure, it is a neat trick, but that is something for the technophiles, not the gamers. Gamers care about one thing...how a title [i]plays[/i]. The golden age of video games existed from 1979-1984...because the limitations of the machine meant the focus was on the killer gameplay. Now, huge budgets exist for games to pay for all the eye-candy, but the real focus is lost...making it fun to play. So, Xbox, Gamecube, or PS2? I say buy all three systems, and then only buy the best games for each. This way, you spend no more money than having only one system with many games and you have the true cream of the crop. Given the track history of the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast, Sony Playstation, Nintendo64 and Neo-Geo releases, this will be a smart way to go in the future.
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

[quote]Originally posted by aeon@mediaone.net: [b]The golden age of video games existed from 1979-1984...because the limitations of the machine meant the focus was on the killer gameplay. Now, huge budgets exist for games to pay for all the eye-candy, but the real focus is lost...making it fun to play.[/b][/quote] Amen!! If I had been practicing as much as I had been playing video games when I was younger, I'd probably be good enough to be on MTV today! :D Anyway, I recently discovered MAME (an emulator that utilizes the source code from the ROMS for most of the games developed from Pong up to Mortal Kombat) - any Atari coin-op fan should definitely check it out - [url=http://www.classicgaming.com.]www.classicgaming.com.[/url] -- Jimmy

Archived