Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Formula: What song is this?

Currently popular mainstream song: HOOK: "Pulling Teeth" (I think) Greenday INTRO: "Did it for the Nookie" chorus feel VERSE: "Fly" (I think this is the song) Sugar Ray feel; lyrical style "Hold It Now, Hit It" Beastie Boys VERSE: "Basket Case" Greenday, lyrical style "Offspring chorus style" CHORUS:"Basket Case" "MTV Theme Ripoff" bit Greenday, lyrical style: "Blink182 chorus" style" INTRO (Nookie) BREAK: (Hold it Now Hit it second break)) VERSE: ("King Ad Rock/That's Me") VERSE CHORUS BREAK: "My Own worse Enemy" Eve6; "Man in the Box" AIC maybe? Metallica? Makes the song a bit more "seriously heavy". MIDDLE 8: "voc./gtr. pedal/oblique arpeggio Sing-song ala Everclear "Wonderful"" VERSE: Modified Anthrax "I'm the Man" alterations to "Hold it Now Hit it". CHORUS CHORUS REFRAIN: Weezer nasal/high register harmony END: "So This is Love?" VanHalen ? [ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Chip McDonald ]

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by wager47: [b]hmmm... not sure, but there's a band called Sum41 that's kind of a cross between bboys & green day. i like 'em. i tried singing to myself the song sections you mentioned, and it kind of sounds like one of their tunes.[/b][/quote] Man, that's funny, I hadn't even typed out anything past the first verse (I just edited it completely) and you got it.... That was too easy I suppose...

damn i was just posted on the brainwashed thread... i was wrong but not to far off.....i said alien ant farm....but my first thought was sum41....damn. those two bands fought like cats and dogs on the warp tour....but both where cute and entertaining in there 15 year old girl just luvz them kinda way...and they did sound good live....oddly enough. oh yeah...the stage managers really did not gel with either band to well... shameless plug....>look out for the new SQUISHY cd...not very main stream but someday it will be ;) [ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: spacebass ]

[quote]Originally posted by spacebass: [b]damn i was just posted on the brainwashed thread... i was wrong but not to far off.....i said alien ant farm....but my first thought was sum41....damn. those two bands fought like cats and dogs on the warp tour....but both where cute and entertaining in there 15 year old girl just luvz them kinda way...and they did sound good live....oddly enough. oh yeah...the stage managers really did not gel with either band to well... shameless plug....>look out for the new SQUISHY cd...not very main stream but someday it will be ;) [ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: spacebass ][/b][/quote] Spacebass, it seems like you have some pretty good intel about the Warped tour. Since Dryden's (AAF's lead singer) has been dating my daughter for the past two years, I know pretty much all the W.T. stories... and you're correct about some problems between certain people. AAF wasn't the problem from what I've heard, although I'm sure some others would disagree with that. FWIW, they ARE pretty darn good live, and while you may think they're pretty good, but more for the "15 year old girl" crowd, I can tell you (since I've known them for years) that at least they're honest about what they do... they like their style and they want it to be more melodic than some of the harder edged stuff out there. That was the band's style from the start - they are definitely NOT just some label "creation". Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html email: pokeefe777@msn.com

I haven't heard the band in question, but I have a theory that modern rock bands with a number in their name are almost always so-so from a musical standpoint... :eek: :eek: :eek: [ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: popmusic ]

originally posted by Chip McDonald: [quote][b]Currently popular mainstream song: HOOK: "Pulling Teeth" (I think) Greenday INTRO: "Did it for the Nookie" chorus feel VERSE: "Fly" (I think this is the song) Sugar Ray feel; lyrical style "Hold It Now, Hit It" Beastie Boys VERSE: "Basket Case" Greenday, lyrical style "Offspring chorus style" CHORUS:"Basket Case" "MTV Theme Ripoff" bit Greenday, lyrical style: "Blink182 chorus" style" INTRO (Nookie) BREAK: (Hold it Now Hit it second break)) VERSE: ("King Ad Rock/That's Me") VERSE CHORUS BREAK: "My Own worse Enemy" Eve6; "Man in the Box" AIC maybe? Metallica? Makes the song a bit more "seriously heavy". MIDDLE 8: "voc./gtr. pedal/oblique arpeggio Sing-song ala Everclear "Wonderful"" VERSE: Modified Anthrax "I'm the Man" alterations to "Hold it Now Hit it". CHORUS CHORUS REFRAIN: Weezer nasal/high register harmony END: "So This is Love?" VanHalen ?[/b][/quote] that was fun. you nailed the comparisons, chip. do another one! [ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: wager47 ]

hey phil....aaf was good live.....i was surprized. they had a good "shtick" going with the lead singer calling all the fans his freinds.....it was a very cute and positive thing to do. sum41 where very "punk" the lead singer looks like he is 12 and swears like a sailor....and they wheren't bad either... the most rocking band on the tour was the rollins band....the drummer and bass player where like a machine while the guitar player shreaded some very tasty blues/old school rock licks that just kicked...very refreshing to see and hear imho.

Dryden's certainly capable of swearing like a sailor AFTER a show - especially if he's had a few to drink, but they don't swear much (or at all) in their songs or onstage. They never have, which I find refreshing in this oftentimes overly "potty mouthed" world. And as far as their shtick, what you see live is pretty much just Dryden's personality. He's semi geeky in real life too! :D He's a really nice kid though. If my kid has to be dating a "rock star", I could think of much worse. Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html email: pokeefe777@msn.com

[quote]Originally posted by wager47: [b]originally posted by Chip McDonald: that was fun. you nailed the comparisons, chip. do another one! [ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: wager47 ][/b][/quote] Give me a week, a student will no doubt bring in a song to learn that is "rather obvious"....

Archived