Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I must be brainwashed...

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but there have been a few times when I've written what I've thought is going to be the hit song that makes my music career, only to discover that the catchy hook riff that I've been churning out on my guitar is actually a blatant rip off of a famous song.... Still I suppose if it worked for Vanilla Ice :) Word to your mother...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, that's a royal pain in the ass...happens to me every once in a while...if it's vague enough, I let it slide and keep working on the song; in my own heart I know I didn't intentionally borrow it. Besides, by the time the song goes through all its changes there is little chance it will even remotely sound like what it started out as.
meh

Dionne Warwick (as penned by Bacharach/David): "What do you get when you kiss a guy, you get enough germs to catch pneumonia" (circa 1968). James Taylor: "Whenever I see your smiling face, I have to smile myself" (circa 197-something). Same melody line basically. Both relative hits. Did JT rip off Burt Bacharach? Perhaps subconsciously. Perhaps not. Play the song for someone else. Maybe a few people. If it's too close by general consensus, tweak it a bit. If not, proceed.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

hmm... "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" and (not sure of actual title) Floyd's "put me in the sky and let it fly"..I believe both were recording at abbey road near the same time...the choruses sound EXTREMELY similar...someone heard something from down the hall? Randy Rhoads' "Dee" and the intro to "Love Song" by Tesla Doors' "The End" and Tea Party's ( :rolleyes: ) one instrumental (not sure of name) I'm sure I'll think of more later... :D Peace, Harold [ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: 'rold ]
meh

[quote]Originally posted by audio-idiot: [b]It is true that only the melody and the lyrics of a song are copywriten, am I correct?[/b][/quote] Correct. You can not copyright a title, or chord changes. Just the melody and lyrics (and in some cases, the arrangement). Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html email: pokeefe777@msn.com

I've had the converse experience- hearing songs on commercial radio that sound very much like something from my (unsuccessful) band from around 10-15 years ago. Usually a combination of chords, arrangement, & melody. In one case, a song that was quite popular this past summer contained the same sort of detuned acoustic guitar driving the groove, similar chords & melody, and very similar lyric theme as one of the last songs we recorded, in 1988. Even the title was similar. And we used to wonder what happened to all those demos that we submitted. Ah well. Paul Berolzheimer

Paul Berolzheimer

Progenitor of 2 amazing sound sources

[quote]Originally posted by 'rold: [b] Doors' "The End" and Tea Party's ( :rolleyes: ) one instrumental (not sure of name) [ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: 'rold ][/b][/quote] That one's not really surprising. All of the Tea Party's crap reminds me of the doors/zeppelin. They should have called themsleves the Lead Doors, instead of beating around the bush. MArk

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

[quote]Originally posted by PBerolz: [b]I've had the converse experience- hearing songs on commercial radio that sound very much like something from my (unsuccessful) band from around 10-15 years ago. Usually a combination of chords, arrangement, & melody. [/b] In one case, a song that was quite popular this past summer contained the same sort of detuned acoustic guitar driving the groove, similar chords & melody, and very similar lyric theme as one of the last songs we recorded, in 1988. Even the title was similar. And we used to wonder what happened to all those demos that we submitted. Ah well. Paul Berolzheimer[/QB][/quote] Absolutely!!!! This happens to me all of the time. (dopehead voice) People are always stealing my stuff, man!!!! It always takes me a long time to write songs, because I'm always looking for any way possible to avoid having it sound like somthing that's already been done. :rolleyes: Steve

While watching ESPN a few weeks back a commercial came on with a melody I wrote back in '91 in an old band I was in. The chances of someone conjuring up the same notes are slim and none. My wife even commented on the familiarity of the tune. I was tweaked all week. I have every plan of releasing this as a song on my current DP3 project. I'm going for it anyways. Makes me want to hurry and finish some albums before this sort of thing pops up again.

[quote]Originally posted by PBerolz: [b]I've had the converse experience- hearing songs on commercial radio that sound very much like something frm my (unsuccessful) band from around 10-15 years ago. [/b][/quote] Used to have a band wayyyyy back that got into the first Chili Pepper's record. Used to do James Brown meets Black Sabbath. Of course, this was pre-grunge and pre-anything not blatant corporate pop music. "That's weird, it doesn't sound like Dokken, or (insert trendy alternative group from 1987)". Oh well. Which lead to a band that had the idea to combine rap with really heavy metal, and soul grooves. Had some record people interested, blew up before anything could happen. Sounded like 311 meets Korn meets Beastie Boys with more curveballs. Predated all of that by years. Snuck some jazz changes in there over hip hop grooves, I thought that was a cool idea. (I remember telling people "this is GONNA HAPPEN!!! *really*! Trust me! Don't laugh, I'm serious!! It doesn't sound like anything you've heard NOW, but it *will*!!". There's still plenty of angles the "nu-metal" bands are missing, mostly due to musical incompetance. Oh well. Went directly into another heavy band. Downtuned to A on regular 6 string guitars. Super choppy/stacatto riffs. Well before Korn's first cd. People thought it was too heavy then. I hear some of those exact riffs on records today. Oh well. Hmph. I remember as a joke, back in the Iron Maiden days, making a recording of a friend about his nickname "Scrapper Man". Tuned really low, hyper fast. The big joke was this guy could talk 2 octaves below anyone else, and he made up these lyrics about how he was Scrapper Man, getting naked in a bathtub and going Krogering in hell. Sounded like the Cookie Monster over sped up Black Sabbath. Sound familiar? I remember a pizza delivery guy showing up at the house while he was doing the vocals and the guy having a very pensive look on his face, hearing what was going on somewhere in the house. Then, a few years later, this thing called "death metal" started to happen that was "Scrapper Man", but not a joke. Weird. Had a jam band that sounded a bit like Pink Floyd with a funk groove. "Nobody wants to hear people jam like a bunch of hippies". Oh well. Used to show a finger exercise in 9ths to students a long time ago that essentially is Dave Matthew's "Satellite". That was weird. A fusion band I did had the same changes to Matthew's "Lover Lay Down", same accents. Had a grunge band pre-Nirvana Boom that did riffs I hear all the time, but that's to be expected with a lot of Soundgarden fans around I suppose. Collective Soul... ahg. There's a Radiohead song that's the same as an instrumental I used to do in one band, I can't remember the name of either. STP... Uhg. I hear stuff like that all the time, brings me down. Particularly considering struggling to get something to certain point and no one seeing the potential if done a certain way, not "diluted", things that were discarded, trying to coach someone into singing a melody a certain way (that is remarkably similar to things that are now on the radio. Oh well.), and .. ahrg. Great, I've been clinching my teeth for the past 10 minutes thinking about this. Now my head hurts. Frick. You know, what sucks more than anything is that if someone has a vision that is clear-cut but different than previous genres, you'd better be in the exact right place with the exact right peoeple to believe in you or else it won't happen. Because people are close minded short- sighted idiots in general and I naively never considered the import of the required social engineering involved with making pseudo-diploid non-imaginative musicians think that even though what they're presently doing isn't "cool", that it would be cool one day and worth their while to pursue it. How innovation occurs with groups by sheer serendipity is such an amazing phenomenon it defies all reason. Blithely stumbling into something that is a different angle... totally amazing. Now my head really hurts.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

...No, I'm not finished. Music is so blatantly formulaic these days, there must be producers just sitting around writing fictional song structures based on bits of established pop songs - like the Garth Brooks cds, or Mutt Lange with Shania Twain. Today I taught three different songs to three different students. Each song was ripping off the same Greenday song, Basket Case. Interestingly, all three kids told me almost right off what song it was when I said "you know.... this is really Greenday". One particular band is a clever assortment of parts of Greenday songs with Beastie Boy's tricks over the top - I'd say they're the band with the bullet at the moment, thanks to clever video marketing but also to the triple threat of incorporating Blink182 tricks for Maximum Youthful Consumer Potency. Hmm, actually, they slid some Limp Bizkit in there as well. Amazingly formulaic, and no one cares I suppose. How does one get that job? After teaching pop music on guitar for the past 16 years, I could make these little songs all day... Let's see if anyone can figure out what currently popular group/song this is based on the formula: No, wait, I'm going to make this a seperate post.

[quote]Originally posted by wager47: [b]i wrote "house of the rising sun" on my first guitar when i was 8.[/b][/quote] That's ok, I heard a guy write "La Cucaracha". ....The only problem was, he though he was playing VanHalen's "Finish What You Started".

[quote]Originally posted by spacebass: [b][b]Let's see if anyone can figure out what currently popular group/song this is based on the formula:[/b] ???alien ant farm???[/b][/quote] lmao. no that would be covering a MJ song ;) how about SUM41? it was even mixed by CLA... how formulaic can you get?

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Archived