Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

practicing with a metronome

Mass Effect

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Earlier in this thread he made some disparaging remarks and I let it go. I've done that time and again with him but not anymore. I'm tired of this sorry fucker stalking me. He's digging up shit from a year ago for chrissakes.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Mass Effect:

Earlier in this thread he made some disparaging remarks and I let it go. I've done that time and again with him but not anymore. I'm tired of this sorry fucker stalking me. He's digging up shit from a year ago for chrissakes. [/Q

I think he's trying to help you actually! he's only trying to find some consistency in your approach to learning now as opposed to a year ago. A year is a very long time when studying anything and a tremendous amount of learning can go on in that time span so going back is not a bad thing at all, in fact sometimes I go back and see what I said in different situation when they come up again. HT is a very very hard worker in his playing and his progress toward getting back his chops is amazing, he told you those things because that is exactly how he approaches his practice time with strict discipline.

Well the thing is, since that thread from a year ago that HT highlighted, I've been on the road for the majority of that time driving a truck.

When you are running all over the country and your guitars are in Tennessee it's hard to get any practice in. You barely have time to take a shower once in a while much less get a guitar out and study music.

I wonder how much it would cost to get a teacher to travel around with me and instruct while I'm trying to navigate rush hour traffic in LA.

He needs to understand the situation fully before he goes talking out his ass.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Mass Effect:

Well the thing is, since that thread from a year ago that HT highlighted, I've been on the road for the majority of that time driving a truck.

When you are running all over the country and your guitars are in Tennessee it's hard to get any practice in. You barely have time to take a shower once in a while much less get a guitar out and study music.

I wonder how much it would cost to get a teacher to travel around with me and instruct while I'm trying to navigate rush hour traffic in LA.

He needs to understand the situation fully before he goes talking out his ass.

I travel alot for my job. It is difficult when you travel.

You should consider trying to find a travel guitar, and take some books on music with you when you travel. Of course, this all depends on how seriously you want to take it. Most of the people who spend time on here take music pretty seriously, so its easy for us to assume that everyone is as fanatical as us. However, there is nothing wrogn withthis being a very basic hobby, just a way to kill time, for you.

A traveling guitar player is a lot easier than a travelling pianist......In fact guitar is about the easiest instrument to travel with...unless you count a harmonica with a mute?

Chad

<>

Since I do a lot of traveling, (about 100 days a year on the road mixing for a touring string quartet,) I've run into the same situation. You might want to look into getting a little travel guitar. I have a Traveler which fits into my suitcase. It's been all over the world with me, & it's been great to get in an hour of practice time that otherwise would be wasted in a hotel somewhere.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Yes, those of us who do something else for a living, and have wives and/or kids find it hard to find time to practice properly!

Still, I don't find it offensive when someone gives me good advice, even if I don't have time to implement as well as I would like to!

In other words, why take it personally?

There have been times when I would tell a young guitarists, "here's something you might want to try," and they were offended. And some others say, "that's nice.." and it's obvious they don't take my advice seriously. Once in a while someone will say, "OK, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.."

Which is all I'm asking. I'm not trying to be anybody's guru and put them into some kind of creative straitjacket, or force them to live up to MY standards, or listen to the records I like to!

Still, if somebody obviously only knows one scale in one position, or struggles with playing simple things in steady rhythm... might they not welcome a suggestion once in a while? It's not a personal attack!

PS I take mandolin lessons from time to time, and my instructor's comments are sometimes harmful to my ego... but I play the instrument a hell of a lot better than I used to.

Can't we all admit we're STILL LEARNING??

Archived