Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

another noob question - picking technique

Mass Effect

I notice the tips of my fingers that hold the pick inadvertantly brush across the strings sometimes as I'm playing.

Do any of you experts notice this in your own playing? Is it something that I should strive to eliminate so that only the pick touches the strings?

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it happening all the time. I think I'm semi-muting the strings from time to time, that way. Can make a real mess out of your nails though.

Should you stop? I look at it as a technique. I seem to have better control over the strings that way. It's certainly not something I do all the time, but do use it for certain sounds during a solo (Especially things like "False Harmonics".) If you are doing it by accident, try to gain control of it.

Depends, but I would try to eliminate it.

Why I say "depends" means that is this causing unwanted notes in your playing?

If you're using it like A-String and are EFFECTIVELY muting unwanted notes, then that's another thing.

I would strive for perfect note plucks with the pick and learn how to mute strings with the heel of your hand.

Yeah every now and then it causes some unintended string noise but it's not a real bad case. I'd just like for every note to be as clean and articulate as possible.

I do like to include the side of my thumb during a pick attack now and again for artificial harmonics. http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c20/ak511/bang.gif

As for muting, I usually use the base of my right hand, and left hand fingers that aren't being used at that particular moment.

Thanks for the insight, guys. I hope more of the experts here won't mind sharing their expertise on this.

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Learn to control it...don't discard it.

You can get all kinds of different tones just by how you hold the pick...loose or tight...how close you hold it to the tip...which portion of the pick you hit the stings with, flat, edge, half-way...and also how much of your finger tip touches the string, or not.

Popping the string with an upward stroke of a short, tight pick tip...and then letting it also hit the tip of your index finger as it comes down...will give you some wonderful harmonics that you can vary with each successive pick just by gently rolling the pick/fingers and adjusting the angle of attack with every pick stroke.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Hehe I just noticed my drunken quote in your signature Mass Effect.

Anyway, what Miroslav and others makes lots of sense. Work on different ways to hold the pick and your fingers and pay attention to the different sounds you can make, and if it is easy or hard to play physically. If there is a sound you don't like, analyze what is causing the noise and try to eleminate it.

Originally posted by Gruupi:

Hehe I just noticed my drunken quote in your signature Mass Effect.

Anyway, what Miroslav and others makes lots of sense. Work on different ways to hold the pick and your fingers and pay attention to the different sounds you can make, and if it is easy or hard to play physically. If there is a sound you don't like, analyze what is causing the noise and try to eleminate it.

Gruupi,

Thanks for the advice. Feel free to quote any of my "words of wisdom" :rolleyes: anytime you like. :D

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Archived