Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please suggest some cool solos for me to learn

Mass Effect

Originally posted by Phillidor:

Another great Jimi tune - Third Stone From the Sun. Teaches you a lot about using octaves.

I also regularly practice with Albatros by Pete Green (Fleetwood Mac) and Oh Well, also by Pete. As well as surf tunes like Walk Don't Run and Pipeline.

Other favourites are Guitar Boogie (best version is Tommy Emmanuel's) and Honky Tonkin' - with these tunes you're starting to get into rockabilly territory!

I think I've tried to pick something up from just about every guitar player I've ever heard - for people who get bored learning scales etc, I think this is a perfectly valid approach to learning. Whatever works for you. I always enjoy practicing because I'm playing tunes I love.

"3rd Stone" is great! It was tabbed in some guitar mag I have and learning it was a clinic for me on using octaves. Now, from time to time, I'll augment a note in something I'm playing with that higher octave.

"Manhattan" and "Chitlins Con Carne" are a couple other good ones for playing around with octaves.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Mass Effect:

the world's greatest surf band...LAIKA AND THE COSMONAUTS!

And for surf don't forget Los Straitjackets and the Croation surf band "The Bambi Molesters" (I'm not kidding here!)

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Yeah Los Straitjackets are great but alot of their songs sound the same after awhile. They are a great live act with the masks and coreographed antics.

You promise you're not kidding so I'll have to give the Molesters a listen.

Also, The Surfcoasters from Japan are really good.

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Yeah Los Straitjackets are great but alot of their songs sound the same after awhile. They are a great live act with the masks and coreographed antics...

I love these guys! I used to have some personal connections with them, years ago.

Eddie Angel was my neighbor, Danny Amis was brother-in-law to one of my best friends and I used to go to parties at his house, and I was acquainted with Jimmy "Les James" Lester from managing a band that played him during his hey-day with Webb Wilder and the Beatnecks back in the 80s.

It seems like they have moved farther away from surf lately, although they do continue to stick to instrumentals (except when they have guest vocalists like Big Sandy).

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

That's cool that you know them. I didn't know they were from around here. Saw them years ago at the Hard Rock not long after it opened and they were great.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Everything seems to be in a minor key. Can you think of any songs that use the major pentatonic scale?

First solo section in "Comfortably Numb" uses a lot of major pentatonic figures.

Also happens to be one of my all-time favorite works by Gilmour. Tear-jerkingly beautiful passage.

Thanks for pointing that out. Just looking at the TAB for that solo you mention, it doesn't look all that difficult. Conjuring up the same feel that Gilmour does it what makes that hard for me.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Everything seems to be in a minor key. Can you think of any songs that use the major pentatonic scale?

First solo section in "Comfortably Numb" uses a lot of major pentatonic figures.

Also happens to be one of my all-time favorite works by Gilmour. Tear-jerkingly beautiful passage.

We play that song and my bandmate does a perfect note-for-note and bend-for-bend rendition of both solos, albeit on a LP. I really didn't get into Floyd that much until I started playing with these guys.

One thought - listen to the famous "one note" solo Neil Young does on "Cinnamon Girl". It's not always an intricate scale or shred-fast playing that brings emotion to the table.

A lot of old country stuff has major pentatonic playing.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Well I was able to pick out a few of the notes at the beginning of the "Stairway" solo but ended up having to look at the TAB.

I've got the first few licks nailed and I must say it feels great! I got a Tascam guitar trainer so I could slow the music down and it has really helped me hear the notes exactly as they are played.

I can see the benefit of practicing scales now because it really felt natural to play those licks once I had them memorized.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Now I gotta go learn the rest of the song...

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Omaha:

I think that's all good stuff too. He should learn keys, notation, scales, modes, everything. But I also believe that most beginners would be well served by a concerted effort at ear training. Once you get that direct "idea to guitar" path going, you can play anything.

I agree. Nothing wrong with singing along with things before picking up the guitar, for example. And if you're looking to solo over changes (as opposed to a static harmony) it doesn't hurt to play very simple things and hear how the individual notes sound against the chords. Nothing wrong with having good technique and playing fast licks when they fit, but if you can't HEAR it, it's going to sound like steaming hot crapola...

I love jamming, but a couple of years ago I was in a church situation alongside a very fine sax player who could really making a melody SING, and he got me to change my thinking about that. Just cause you can play the NOTES doesn't mean you can make it come alive!

Then when you go back to playing hot licks, your melodic sense is better.

Leads to learn? You could do far worse than learning some of Steve Still's leads on the first CSN album!

Buy yourself a Mountain album, the Best of Mountain would be a good choice, and listen to Lesi West's licks. He wasn't all that fast, but he put all the notes in the right spot.JMO.

Another good song is All My Love on the Bluesbreakers album featuring Eric Clapton. It's a good basic Am pentatonic with a Am arpeggio thrown in. It's a fun song.

Life is two periods of play interupted by 40 years of work.

More great suggestions. This has - and will continue to - help my playing. Thanks again!

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by haywired:

Buy yourself a Mountain album, the Best of Mountain would be a good choice, and listen to Lesi West's licks. He wasn't all that fast, but he put all the notes in the right spot.JMO.

Another good song is All My Love on the Bluesbreakers album featuring Eric Clapton. It's a good basic Am pentatonic with a Am arpeggio thrown in. It's a fun song.

+10 on the big man :thu:

Another thing about learning off records...I've always preferred to listen to the track enough that it's stuck in my head and then work it out based on memory. Often it comes out being not even in the same key, but there's enough changes, and enough 'me' in it for me to feel it's not a complete rip-off. (That's when I'm not pinching stuff straight off Tabs!)Currently this is how I'm working out 'Silvia' by Focus. (See the Yoodyoodyloodylumpumpum thread) That's a great tune to learn by the way. :thu:

This guitar trainer I got is great. You can slow it down to a crawl if you want and the music still plays back in the same pitch as if playing at regular speed.

Hit the "in" button just before the lick you want to learn and then hit "out" when the lick is finished and it'll loop over and over. Makes it easy to learn a long solo bit by bit.

I can see even advanced guitarists finding use in that for very difficult material.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Archived