Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smoking in the control room

I can't figure out whether to make the studio smoking or non. (tobacco, that is - the herb is always welcome.. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]) The issue came up the other day with a local engineer friend that pretty much told me he wouldn't be booking my studio unless he was allowed to smoke, which got me thinking. I had intended for the studio to be non-smoking to save the value of the gear and keep the place from smelling like an ashtray. I smoke too, but most of the time I do it outside partly to give the ears a rest. I have only met a few engineers/producers that don't smoke, but I probably haven't been around long enough. How would the smoking issue affect your decisions in booking a studio? If you are a non-smoker would it turn you off? Responses appreciated, as always.. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Thanks, Harold
meh

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, Harold! How's things on the Westside [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] NO Smoking - period. EVERY control room I work in is deemed vehemently non-smoking , at least while I'm in it. And yes, I am a non-smoker. Not only does smoking make for shitty air-quality in the room itself, but the microscopic particles that comprise the smoke is extremely bad for the gear. You will actually shorten the life of your electronics. Breathing deeply..... Spencer
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

During my military service we painted the overheads every six months white......and it's because they turn yellow, almost orange from tobacco use onboard. Also electronic gear gets a film on it from the smoke.....I hear they banned smoking now, but it wasn't then. I have a no smoking policy in my little home studio.....but there's a patio with a bucket of sand for those who can't wait.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

I posted a similar question earlier and kinda got a scolding from the respondents. I have heard that smoke is bad for mic diaphrams. They are tiny creatures built to extreme tolerances so that makes sence. Most modern outboard gear have completely sealed pots so they are suppose to be smoke (as well as liquid) proof, but you'll still have to worry about the yellow film that forms on surfaces. All of my live stuff has been exposed to smoky rooms, bars and such. I haven't noticed any problems with any of it, even my mics. I do try and keep smokers out of the studio if any big expensive mics are out.

Smoking used to screw up analog tape heads... But, more importantly, if you're trying to cut vocals, you need air. I'd say, go ahead and smoke. OUTSIDE. That goes for tobacco or anything else.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'm a smoker, and I don't allow smoking around my gear or anywhere in the house. Whether or not it affects the gear, it affects the living/working environment. I make it plain to anyone who comes over that there is no smoking in the house - non-negotiable. If they can't deal with it, they can't deal with me. ------------------ What's on, your mind?
I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

I have a home studio that is not my primary source of income, so bear that in mind. That said, I dislike smoke anywhere in my house, and feel it would damage the equipment. There are plenty of nice, comfortable places to hang out outside and smoke. I've never had to even ask anyone not to smoke inside -- people are considerate and either ask or automatically go and smoke outside. Maybe I've been lucky. If someone is that insistent on smoking inside, they can find another studio where they can smoke inside. ------------------ Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/Nectar http://www.elevenshadows.com 4 music, travel, more! http://www.cdbaby.com/elevenshadows

I'm a non-smoker, so this bothers me more than it might bother someone else, but... Have you ever been in an older studio where people have smoked, for, say, 10-20 years? There is a smell you *can't* get out of the walls, carpet, gear, or furniture. A non-smoker will notice that their clothes smell like the studio once they leave... Even if no one has lit a cigarette. Yeech. This message has been edited by popmusic on 08-01-2001 at 11:50 AM

Engineers,producers and artists should be choosing studios based on: the gear,acoustics,staff and reputation.(I got that from Chris's book) If an engineer chooses a studio based on,"whether or not he can smoke in it?"I would have to question if he or she is putting the music first? But,If you blowin'doobies inside the control room,I would say the guy has a point?

More people DON'T smoke than do. You will have a more professional appearance if you restrict smoking in your facility, period. Smoke leaves a residue on equipment, fixtures and paint. It gets in everything. IMO, professional facilities and people are conscientious of their environments, regardless of their personal vices/habits. For example (hypothetically, of course) just because I like to play nekkid when I am at home working doesn't mean I should subject someone else to my preferences. Personally, I think it is arrogant as hell for him, friend or not, to impose a personal vice (many people might even say addiction) on you. It is YOUR facility-and even you don't smoke in it. Unless this person can guarantee a hit due to his work, you might want to pass and find another engineer that is a bit more professional in attitude and approach (I always say to myself to keep myself in check that there is always someone bigger/better/more-talented/richer, etc., than me-helps me keep perspective on my so-called talents). As a studio owner, not only should you be concerned with the creative atmosphere that you've created to work in, you should also be concerned with the health of those that will work in your facility. If he wants to smoke, let him take smoke breaks. I bet you will find there won't be much productivity in the session due to them, either. While it isn't particularly a deal breaker, every studio I have ever worked in has been smoke free. All things being equal if given the choice, however, I would book the smoke-free facility EVERY time. This message has been edited by MusicWorkz on 08-01-2001 at 12:27 PM

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Not a good idea, especially in an enclosed airtight space that may or may not have good circulation. Maybe if you have a nearby room that is not part of the studio /control room. Put in a Smokeeter and make that like a green room. Just make sure there is really good ventilation.

Harold, It's really up to you. You got the opinion of those who lurk here, that smoking around all your expensive gear is a no no. If this local engineer is going to bankroll you for a long time and allow you to replace the equipment when he dies of cancer, puff on puff daddy. I don't even burn incense in the studio, got to be in the next room with the studio door closed. Same with herb. As in Peaches and Herb. Reunited and it feels so gooood. -David R.
-David R.

i smoke in my room, so do others. i started out as a no smoking rule... even had one guy say that steve albini let people smoke, i told him if i was steve albini i would too. fortunately where i live, i can simply open up the windows during smoking sessions. personally i am about to try out the patch and then it will surely become a no smoking enviroment again. i also plan to stock nicorette gum for those smokers who have the urge but dont want to keep going outside. as a smoker, i even feel its generally bad for the equipment and so forth. but left-handed smokes will ALWAYS be tolerated as they dont have the same "residual" effect on the equipment and the enviroment of the room. anyone who says otherwise doesnt know what they are talking about... and has NOTHING to do with a "professional" enviroment [unless someone is just plain too stoned to do their job, which i have never seen happen].

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Yo Harold IMHO smoking is bad for the health, bad for equipment, bad for microphone capsules and bad for some other things. So nobody smokes in the studio and in the control room, it's simply not allowed. They can smoke in the relax room. Also drinks and food are not allowed in the control room, a visitor once spilled his cup of coffee over the SSL desk in a big Dutch studio. The engineer asked him: how about your insurance? Peace [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

As far as smoking inside a studio: Just don't do it. Unless you like replacing recording equipment every couple of years (if not sooner). Smoke outside of the building, period. Just don't do it. This message has been edited by Sui on 08-01-2001 at 01:58 PM

"Don't say I didn't warn ya.."

www.mp3.com/adamkittle

Wow - overwhelming majority in favour of non-smoking! Thanks for the responses! The only reason this was an issue in the first place is because the aforementioned engineer is the ONLY pro in town. Closest place to get pro business from is Vancouver, which is a half-hour drive and 40 minute ferry ride from here, which in itself might discourage some. Safe to say the studio will be non-smoking. Now, I don't want to open a can of worms here, but I HAVE to address the herb issue. The reason I allow it in the studio (which is a bedroom but soon to be a seperate building)is because you can't really chain-smoke the stuff and stay productive. A joint a session is not going to kill the equipment or make the place smell like a plant (providing the vetilation performs as expected). I have never met anyone who would smoke more than a phatty a session anyway. Also, the creative factor. Herb is awesome for creativity! Again, when paying studio time, people don't go overboard. If they have friends in attendance that do, they do it outside. Having said that, herb is an intoxicant and should be used in moderation in ANY circumstance, IMO. Similarly, it's alright if people bring some beer with them to the sessions, but again, being drunk will get them nowhere fast, and booted out if they get out of hand. As far as the professionality aspect of it, that depends on the client and everyone's role. I don't smoke much herb myself, and I don't smoke at all while trying to perform my job. Every engineer I've worked with is the same way: if at all, a toke or two, but no more. A fair bit of my clientele are going to be songwriters or bands, and in that situation it's generally cool (remember, this is BC Canada - home of the world famous 'Bud'...I haven't yet met anyone here who doesn't smoke pot). It's really up to who books the sessions. If they want to smoke pot, and it doesn't destroy the session or turn the place into a hotbox - cool with me. I've never stopped anyone from smoking a joint in the studio, and it has never done me wrong. Thanks for the responses guys! And spencer - things are good out here, thanks for asking.. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] How's life out east? Harold
meh

I'm a smoker...my initial response was going to be no, make them smoke [b]cigarettes[/b] outside until I read your last post: [quote]Closest place to get pro business from is Vancouver, - this is BC Canada[/quote] Well, it gets damn cold up there...freezing actually so unless you have an extra room (maybe a tracking room) that the clients can smoke in...well...making them go outside in the freezing cold wouldn't be too good for business. I live in near perfect weather all the time Los Angeles...we have a nice patio area set up outside 5 feet from the control room...it works out nicely...no one is allowed to smoke [b]cigarettes[/b] in the control room. I have no problem with smoking a bit of herb in the control room but we normally do it in our tracking room anyway because it's a bit bigger and more comfortable for that kind of thing. This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 08-01-2001 at 04:40 PM

Actually, it's fairly nice here year-round. I'm on the Sunshine Coast, which is a little more northwest than Vancouver, but the weather stays fairly consistent year round. It's a bit warmer in Van due the greenhouse effect - worst air polution in all of Canada. It does get a bit chilly at night time due to the proximity to the pacific - we're 200 feet away. Having said that, the room the studio is in now will be the lounge once the building is set up, and the bulding will be attached to this part of the house. Thanks for the input Steve.. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
meh

Just my $0.02 In the studio, there's no smoking, no pot, no food and no naked twister. There are other studios, both better and worse that either charge more or less that have a more tolerant position on the above. I share this info with my prospective customers The worst is when people light up and then forget to smoke (like the classic butt stuffed in the strat's headstock). I may or may not regret losing a client because of this policy but not an engineer. And it can get bloody cold up here in winter (north of Montreal) Andy

The control room is non smoking except for VIP's - the guy that fixes my mac, Lone A&R visitors Acts that can not at all cope with not smoking while playing gtr (I need them right next to me to do my production work on em) When I meet with an act... It's too much a pain in the ass to go through my speil, and listen to a bands story with out having to pause for one of the fuckers dissapearing for a ciggarette, so I tell em they can all smoke to get 'the meeting done" only..... I have a big air filter unit I switch on at these times (and when dusting too) Jules ------------------ "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Jules

Producer Julian Standen

London, UK,

Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com

Wow! I can't believe all the non-smoking responses. I'm most surprised at the lack of flames on this thread. Kudos to all. That said, I'm a non-smoker, and I'd hate to screw up a session because my head was pounding from the smoke, so, no smoking in the control room, and in my own space, not in the house. (Laugh all you want about my smoke-headaches, Alpha, but if you can't empathize now, just wait til you've been smoke free for a while. You'll be able to notice a single cigarette from across the room in no time! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Also, too bad I was OOT at NAMM! Everyone online says you're so nice!) Every smoker I know has been most considerate regarding no smoke around me, in general. If they must, they go outside. It ain't the cold that's a problem in Nashville. It may not be Austin, TX, but you can just about scald your lungs on the humidity and heat here, right now. As for bud, I don't smoke it, I've never smoked it, so that's a no-brainer for me. And since it is still illegal in the states, it DEFINATELY stays out of the house. Lose your own gear to the US government if you want, but don't put mine at risk. ------------------ Neil [b]Reality[/b]: [i]A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.[/i]

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b] As for bud, I don't smoke it, I've never smoked it, so that's a no-brainer for me. And since it is still illegal in the states, it DEFINATELY stays out of the house. Lose your own gear to the US government if you want, but don't put mine at risk. [/b][/quote] Man, this alone shows how silly and harmful that US drug war is. Not just on you; the DEA tries to impose that on every country they deem a problem. Think about it: put a harmless joint in your mouth and go to jail and lose your studio over it? But meanwhile it's ok to take any harmful drug the FDA says is ok and you are encouraged to do it. arggh. Frustrating. Naked twister even sounds good compared to this... [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]
meh

[quote]Originally posted by rold: [b] Man, this alone shows how silly and harmful that US drug war is. Not just on you; the DEA tries to impose that on every country they deem a problem. Think about it: put a harmless joint in your mouth and go to jail and lose your studio over it? But meanwhile it's ok to take any harmful drug the FDA says is ok and you are encouraged to do it. arggh. Frustrating. Naked twister even sounds good compared to this... [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] [/b][/quote] No arguement on the hypocritical situation existing there. But, although I believe you understand me, I'll say it again; just protecting my gear and my family from harm, whether by the U.S. gov't. or otherwise. ------------------ Neil [b]Reality[/b]: [i]A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.[/i]

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Oh, no worries, Neil - I completely understand your point. I wouldn't want to lose everything either, regardless of the silly reasons it would go. Thanks for the input.. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]
meh

One thing to keep in mind tho: I live in Canada, where over 2/3 of the population - cops included - think pot should be legalized. I am at absolutely NO risk at losing everything over just being caught with weed. Even the local head of our federal law enforcement agency says: "If I come into your house and see a pot plant in your corner, I don't see a pot plant in your corner." Despite the US DEA presence (and influence) in Canada, pot is still not that much of an issue here. If this were the US, I'd think twice about openly displaying this.. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]
meh

of course im nice [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] just because i like to argue.... actually its easier in person since you see and hear my delivery. i can even make a "fuck you dude" sound nice, or at least it wouldnt piss one off. besides im a lover, not a fighter. well i bought the patch today, its going to cost me $160 to quit!!! ack! life without my darlin nicotine. im so depressed already.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Archived