Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

finally went to the elevens

Guitarzan

i finished putting the 11's on the LP last night.

i did the over the top of the stoptail technique.

this dramatically lowered the angle of the strings over the bridge even with the stoptail down low.

it plays like butter.

i was finding the 10's annoyingly "wangy".

the action is uber low right now. about 1.4 mm at the 12th fret with minimal relief.

tuning stability is awesome.

had a bit of a jam today with some buds.

there was 2 PRS's and my LP.

every time i see Wayne's McCarty it looks better and better.

Greg has a black CE22.

had some fun and i got to hear how a set of Burstbuckers sound compared to other buckers.

i think i will slowly try to work in a higher action.

but all in all the 11's are there.

no problems bending, even with the low action. the angle of the strings over the bridge help that.

i was digging the low gain tones so much.

my shoulder was killing me after 4 hrs of a mahogany necktie.

but bottom line is i am quite happy with elevens on the LP.

doesn't stop me from having some gas for a PRS. ;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for you Zan!! When I'm playing a lot, I always to to 11's on a LP. IMO, it plays better, sounds better, tunes better...you name it. Also, a good LP sort of plays back at you. And, it seems to play back more dramatically with 11's.

I also like bends on heavier strings. Light strings bend too easily for me. I seem to be able to control the bends better with "big boys" on my axe!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by ellwood:

"lower guage strings seem to allow me to snag on the frets more.

if that makes sense."

:eek: ..........well that doesn't make any sence AT ALL!!! :eek: are you trying to mix us up OR WHAT!!! ;)

picture your fingers as a "tight rope walker"

the tighter that rope is the easier i can walk over it. :D

lighter guages let me fall into the cracks.

i know, i know.. just lighten up on the pressure.

:D

I think too much is made out of string thickness for electrics.

On an acoustic...a heavier gauge brings out more tone from the body.

On an electric...you got PUs and an amp thrown into the mix.

Yeah...you might get a slightly beefier tone with the heavier gauge on an electric...but often, you can achieve the exact same thing by how you set your electronics at the guitar and the amp.

Some people just like the feel of heavy strings...

though some think heavy = better...or heavy = "pro"... :rolleyes:

There are a LOT of pros that use 8s/9s/10s...so don't let that be your only motivation.

Also...some guitars may prefer heavier strings...other may not.

You gotta find what works best and sounds best on your rig...and then go with that.

Tone is in you hands...in your playing...the guitarthe amp

and not just the string gauge. :thu:

I got 12s on the acoustics and 10s on the electrics...

...works for me. :cool:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

i am not motivated by any stars or "heros".

i play and then if i find there is a need for an adjustment to dial it in for me i proceed.

i have a heavy picking hand and lighter guages don't seem to like that.

the tonal improvment i gained is from the fact the strings don't go all snakey when i hit them and i get more clear notes.

i do like the fact that i glide over the frets a bit easier from the added tension.

don't get me wrong, i love light guage and how they seem to get more excited when struck.

i am always experimenting with setups and strings.

i never try to copy any pros, the only thing i do is try to absorb as much info i can to use when i want to make a change to my setup.

i have 9's on the pacifica.

because i like it skanky and snarky.

i am a zero. :D

don't rush on that. i am so eratic i may end up with 9's before next year.

with 9's i can dial a higher action for blues.

as for now i am very happy.

some of this "feel" stuff is related to the fact the neck is thick like a 59 LP. making me palm it and get a decent grip.

on a thin neck like my Yammy i use lighter guage.

and yes i am guitarded, it is my curse. :D

Originally posted by ellwood:

"lower guage strings seem to allow me to snag on the frets more.

if that makes sense."

:eek: ..........well that doesn't make any sence AT ALL!!! :eek: are you trying to mix us up OR WHAT!!! ;)

Fatter strings keep your fingers further from the frets. )Think bass strings.) Hard to feel the fret sliding up and down the neck.

Yeah...I find the 10s a lot more touch-sensitive than the 12s on my acoustics.

As you go up in gauge...the strings get tighter feeling...so you have to press harder to get the same effects...which for me, kills the finger-to-string-and-fret sensitivity.

Plus...I don't play my guitars 5 hours each day.though I know some of you do play quite a lot.

Heck...sometimes weeks go by without me touching a guitar, as I am too busy doing other things in the studio...like when I'm in the middle of a marathon editing session at the DAW.

And...I also play the piano/organ, and the bass as needed...so it cuts into my guitar time.

With the 10s...I can have my occasional hiatus and still be able to just pick up and play when neededwithout killing my fingers. :)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I play the blues and I use .12's. I don't pay attention to which pros use what. I like the tone I get with .12's. It's not a big change but I do like it. I use a heavy guage pick also. I won't disagree that tweaking your amp and other things may achieve simular results, but I will say that playing for 35 years and recording for 12 years or so I never was completely satisfied with my sound until I switched to .12's. Believe me, I know it is a personal thing but I love my .12's

Fernando

If you can't say it in 12 bars... then it can't be said!

Originally posted by Durockrolly:

I play the blues and I use .12's. I don't pay attention to which pros use what. I like the tone I get with .12's. It's not a big change but I do like it. I use a heavy guage pick also. I won't disagree that tweaking your amp and other things may achieve simular results, but I will say that playing for 35 years and recording for 12 years or so I never was completely satisfied with my sound until I switched to .12's. Believe me, I know it is a personal thing but I love my .12's

I love the 12's. The sound of a wound G string rocks.

Recently I've been using 10 - 52s.

I tried 11 - 50s but didn't like the feel of the lighter gauge strings, but liked the tone of the lower strings - hence the 10-52s.

Works for me - I have them on all my guitars.

McG

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I think I just found out why I've been using 9's for 30 years.

http://images.music123.com/products/full/Gibson/517248.jpg

If they're good enough for Ace ....... actually a lot of my influences used 9's and that is why I first went to them. I'm just used to them now, even though my hands are plenty big to play heavier gauge strings.

A.K.A. TRGuitar

Hey, glad it worked out for ya!

I love running .011"-.050" DR "Pure Blues" solid nickel strings on my sunburst/humbucker LP, employing that same wrap-around set-up. I have a bit of extra relief and a sort of a medium/low action on it...

But I also long for a spanky low-action Tele with a set of nickel-plated "tens", too! :cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived