Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Military Thanksgiving

LavaMan

Although I will not do it this year, many times during my military career I along with other senior officers and NCO's have served our fellow soldiers the Thanksgiving meal. I have done this in Korea, Afghanistan and at Ft. Bragg and it has always been a pleasure.

As you give thanks today, please remember all those serving in the military who are in harms way. I am thankful for them and the opportunity that I have serve with them and to be safe now here in the United States.

Lava Man

www.lavacable.com

Your One-Stop Custom Cable Shop

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mark!

I gave my troops the day off to enjoy with their families. Another NCO and I are holding down the fort today since our ops are 24/7.

Shoot me a PM if you're ever in the neighborhood.

God Bless & Happy Thanksgiving! :wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

God Bless our troops. We pray for them every Shabbos. (Sabbath)

I was fortunate to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with troops in Oman. I think every chance they get it's Thanksgiving Day when stationed in nations full of those hostile to the U.S. They certainly treated our arrival as a cause for great thanks, though the band I accompanied were relative nobodies. But we were there for them and even if we didn't fully understand that at first, they sure did. :thu:

Be safe, troops everywhere, around the world.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

God Bless our troops. We pray for them every Shabbos. (Sabbath)

I was fortunate to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with troops in Oman. I think every chance they get it's Thanksgiving Day when stationed in nations full of those hostile to the U.S. They certainly treated our arrival as a cause for great thanks, though the band I accompanied were relative nobodies. But we were there for them and even if we didn't fully understand that at first, they sure did. :thu:

Be safe, troops everywhere, around the world.

Oman is where I pulled my "gig" a month after 9/11. I was in Muscat sending supplies & troops downline to Afghanistan- where the real war was and still should be.

At least we were afforded the opportunity to eat daily at a 5 star hotel downtown. Check it out:

web page

Take the virtual tour. :thu:

I could have sworn I saw Donald Trump there from a distance, probably checking out the hotel for inspiration. If I was as big a fan of him then as I am now, I would had approached him. :D

God Bless :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

How long were you there, BiC?? We came through 6 months after 9/11. I mixed for a Nashville band called Mink. We played an airforce base that had an outdoor bar and stage, then hopped a C130 to Pakistan and Afghanistan during our week based in Oman.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

How long were you there, BiC?? We came through 6 months after 9/11. I mixed for a Nashville band called Mink. We played an airforce base that had an outdoor bar and stage, then hopped a C130 to Pakistan and Afghanistan during our week based in Oman.

There are a few bases in Oman. Which one were you at?

- Thumrait

- Masirah

- Seeb

- Al-Masanah

I arrived at Seeb in Oct then left in Dec to join my Wife in RAF Mildenhall, England.

Basically, we were one of the first ones to arrive at the civilian airport in Muscat to get the Air Force base up and running so we could get supplies to "The Fight". For those who don't know, the base was basically on the other side of the civilian airport. We shared the same runway. The locals were really friendly. We stayed in what I would call "townhouses" downtown, across the street from that 5 star hotel I mentioned earlier. Once "tent city" was established, we moved into tents.

Peace :thu:

We were based at Seeb in the tent city. But that was 3 months after you left. :( (Remember, we played for Seeb on St. Patrick's Day. ;) )

That place was a gas. I remember hearing how difficult it was for them to get permission to lay a slab for a basketball court next to a sand pit for volleyball. The slab constituted a "permanent" installation which made it hard to get ok'd by the locals as Seeb was supposed to be a "temporary" base. No permanent structures were to be made. In the end, not only did they get approval for the b-ball court, but they also laid a slab for a "beachfront" bar.

Now lest you think everything was hunky-dory for the service people there, I should remind you at the time we were there few base personnel were allowed off base the way BiC and his co-workers apparently were.

It was an amazing base.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived