Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Back to One USB Mike this week

Dr. Ellwood

Yep, back to one, and moved way back in the room, placed near the coat room sorta in the center. You hear a combination of the PA mains, two overhead flown monitors pretty close to the mike. This is a old standard by Sammy Davis Jr. What Kind of Fool Am I. A little change of pace LOL! :eek::D ...LINK: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=372411&songID=4688364

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a kid, I was a bus boy and then a waiter at a catering hall that did weddings and Bar Mitzvah's, etc.. They had a group of bands that played the affairs. And, while I was working my ass off, I'd always pay attention to the bands. They really had it covered...the right number of up tempo, then slow songs. They always played a couple of traditional songs...I was always impressed with how professional they were....making the people happy is very cool :thu:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by mdrs:

As a kid, I was a bus boy and then a waiter at a catering hall that did weddings and Bar Mitzvah's, etc.. They had a group of bands that played the affairs. And, while I was working my ass off, I'd always pay attention to the bands. They really had it covered...the right number of up tempo, then slow songs. They always played a couple of traditional songs...I was always impressed with how professional they were....making the people happy is very cool :thu:

Yep and sometimes it's a nice change of pace for the bands too. I hesitated putting this up on here because I know most guys here are rockers and so am I and my guys,but having a load of things in your bag is not always a bad thing. I like to tackle things that show a little different side of the bands depth and lots of people appreciate it. Music is for the people not just for musicians and it's all the better when you can do a good job on lots of different kinds of material. We do an arrangement on Wichita Lineman that I like too.

I think I preferred the sound with two mics. The mono sound is just to flat to my ears.

Also, what are you using to convert to MP3 and what rate is is set to? The sound is getting butchered by your software or settings. You can really hear it in the cymbals, at the beginning of the song.

No it only deals with .wav, so you have to export it out and do the conversion in some other program, yeah I can see if it did MP3 right within the recording software it would be better. Oh an another question, how many different kinds of .wav files are there? there seems to be allot? which one is the best to record in?

Originally posted by ellwood:

No it only deals with .wav, so you have to export it out and do the conversion in some other program, yeah I can see if it did MP3 right within the recording software it would be better. Oh an another question, how many different kinds of .wav files are there? there seems to be allot? which one is the best to record in?

You're right, there are many .WAV file formats. You should record at least 44.1khz/16bit files. Then, convert to MP3 at least 128kbit/sec. That *should* give you a good quality result. :) S.

I like the overall sound of the recording. I can hear through the .mp3 issues that you're recording well, however there is a glaring problem that has nothing to do with the recording. The vocalist's mic was distorting horribly when he dug in for powerful notes, and not in a wonderful, Little Richard kind of way. ;):D Either the mic needs to be replaced (unlikely) or the channel input needs to be backed down quite a bit.

I tend to agree with A-string. It would be nice to hear the sound of the space by mic'ing X/Y stereo with both mics, especially because you distance mic'd the stage.

Great job, Lee. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Thanks Craig/Neil, I think that distortion has something to do with that flown monitor almost right above where the mike position was. I think there is something wrong with it and I will have our soundguy take a look at it, it might have to come down? he monitors our vocal channels so closely I'm very suprised and I sure do hear what you are hearing when Bill digs in. It sure does NOT sound like that through our IEM's or the mains, I'm betting it's one of those flown monitiors doing it, nobody is back there actually listening but this time the MIKE WAS LISTENING!!! LOL!! Thanks you guys!

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Another advantage of recording... Identifying issues you didn't know existed. ;)

Yes sir! you are so right, this flown speaker is Community Sound 2X12 with a horn there are three of them hung way out from the stage and we never walk back there, our soundguy wants to take them out of the system completely they belong to the venue. I think those are history!

Be aware that the feed from the board will only be a representative mix if:

• All instruments are mic'd
  • Your soundman is not adjusting EQ at the channels to compensate for poor system EQ/amp/speaker setup. If he's making adjustments at the channels it will affect the direct output to your recording.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Mic's aren't necessarily the issue. The keyboards run into either the Leslie speakers or direct to the board, right?

But as for EQ, what I mean is if the system was setup, then additional EQ was used on individual channels to make up for deficiencies and irregularities in the system, then those modifications will show up on the record outputs (and will overcompensate for those affected channels.)

Basically, if you monitor through a headphone jack and instruments sound bass heavy/light but through the PA cabs those instruments sound perfect, then your recording will reflect those changes. This is often the case when someone has a system with too many subs. The tendency is to back off the bass frequencies for most instruments at the channels, yielding outputs that are bass deficient on most channels.

It's much easier to demonstrate than explain. :freak:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived