Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marshall: Guys, is this any good?

Imagine

RE: Marshall MG100HDFX and MG412

I've been looking for something like this for a while, but I don't know how good it is. It's strickly for recording. I'm currently using the POD, so I don't think I have to say anymore. :eek:

What are your thoughts?

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=MG100HDFX

Thanks in advance.

-Dean

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought low watt amps were better for recording because these didn't sound good until your ears were bleeding - not what you'd want in a studio. Though I could be very wrong.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Mg...

well, i dont really like MG models, i;d rather have kone of marshall's valve or valvstate models myself. the DFX effects are decent, but not really versatile enough, for example the reverbs are VERY hard to set to exactly how u want them

hope this has helped you mate

A Life Lived In Fear Is A Life Half - Lived

Originally posted by Imagine:

I would only be purchasing the head without the cabinet. I think it has a direct out. Is this the incorrect way?

Thanks!

i was wondering if you were going to mic it.

seeing you allready have the POD for direct recording can i ask why you want a 100 watt mg head for direct use?

Originally posted by caprae:

I thought low watt amps were better for recording because these didn't sound good until your ears were bleeding - not what you'd want in a studio. Though I could be very wrong.

Don't tell that to guys like Slayer. They've always recorded with at least one 4x12 straight cab for guitar tones.

At one point, some heavily padded Neumann solid state mics were used, esp. on the album "Diabolus in Musica." Combine that with a Studer 24 track analog tape recorder (not sure of the mixing console used), and wow... sounds awesome. I don't have that one on CD, 'cause the (analog) cassette version sounds terrific. The gigantic guitar sounds really jump out on that one with the right stereo system.

I should buy the CD sometime to rip into my mp3 player, though. :)

Back on topic... the poster might be better off with a 4x12 cab that uses something like the 75 watt Celestions. Sure, it might cost more, but it'll give the MG head a more tube-like tone.

I have the MG100DFX 2x12 combo. It is actually stereo 2x50w. In my opinion, for a solid state amp, it is excellent for playing out....I don't know that I'd use it for recording, though. I guess I would if that's what I had to use but I'd much prefer a Class A tube amp for that...maybe 15 watts. The Epiphone Blues Custom is actually pretty impressive..it can be switched from 15w Class A operation to 30 Class AB operation and comes in a 1x12 combo cabinet loaded with Eminence speakers....for about $500 bucks street price.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I would only be purchasing the head without the cabinet. I think it has a direct out.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!!

You NEVER want to record the direct out on a head. It WILL sound like crapola, even if you use a DI box in the chain.

If you're buying an amp just for recording, and you want to use it at low volumes, get a super-low-watt valve combo, and crank it up!

I use a bashful little Randall 1x12 50 watt tuber in recording and it's STILL too loud without a power soak.

There is really no point in getting a 100W solidstate amp unless you play jazz. Or for that super clean 80s JC120 sound.

Get a 50 watt tube-powered Marshall instead - it'll be way more powerful and sound a whole lot better.

For recording, really low wattage amps are usually better. . . except for metal! Most classic metal records were made with tube amps cranked through 4x12 cabinets. You really cannot duplicate this sound with a small amp or an amp simulator as it involves a lot of air being pushed really hard.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Griffinator,

What would it sound like if I came out of the Marshall's "Emulated Line Out"? I know I won't get the identical cabinet sound, but how crapola will it sound?

Thanks!

It would sound the same as if you put it through a direct box. The "Emulated Line Out" is basically just a fancy description of a dummy speaker load. Doesn't come close to the sound of a real speaker.

It will sound like polished crapola - slightly superior to unpolished, but still crap.

For reference's sake: I used to play in a band whose guitarists used high-end Hughes & Kettner direct boxes with dummy speaker load functions. We went that direction because the headache of wiring up extra mics onstage was a nightmare, and the sound of the direct-out from the amps was godawful. With the H&K boxes, it was better, but not nearly as good as the real tone from the amps.

That's in live applications. In recording, any flaws in your sound will stick out even bigger. Take it to the bank you'll hate the way the DI sounds on tape, with or without dummy speaker loads.

The MG series...Alot of people hate these amps, And don't know why marshall made them. My thing for them is that they are low priced, And probally a great First stack for any guitarist. I don't like them, I don't like the cabinet, But listen to it, And see if it gets your tone for you.
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

Originally posted by trguitar:

If you wanna record direct, get a SansAmp. They sound good.

Sometimes...

Sounded like crap versus a miked cab in the last studio session I did with one. Granted, that was 6 years ago, so I don't know how much they've developed their circuitry, but...

Well, after a few days with the MG, I'm not really a big fan of it. If I were to get an amp that I can mic, something small (50 watts) for alternative/rock music, is the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT Guitar Amplifier worth looking into?

Thanks for your help.

-Dean

<

I used the "emulated speaker out" on my JCM900 just once for a recording. It didn't sound at all like the amp/speaker combination. It was rather sterile & a bit too noisy to constitute a good clean tone. Not worth it in my opinion.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Archived