Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can a Floyd Rose Bridge...?

Big Malky

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Up to a point you can have one installed on any guitar. At least any decent solid body. It may require routing so I would make sure you know what you are doing if you want to do it your self. You can destroy a good guitar if you are not careful. Also if the body is too thin that could be a problem.

The guitar has to have a routed hole of a precise size and shape for the Floyd to fit. If you have a guitar that isn't already routed for a Floyd, you can get it routed, but don't forget your're gonna need a locking nut fitted to it too, and between the two retrofits, it won't be cheap. It'll probably cost less to buy a used guitar with a Floyd in it. They are going for cheap most places. And, the Floyd thing can get old after a while, so you'd probably be better off leaving your present guitar as is, and getting a used Korean-made Charvel or something.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Tone killer schmone killer!

They are alright! Just a total biyatch if you want to tune down.

Think you have to route out a cavity on most gutiars that dont come with them.... Probably a pro job.. But Xplorer managed to put one on his Warlock... So I guess ANYBODY can do it! :D LOL

Originally posted by Trucks.Of.Love:

...Xplorer managed to put one on his Warlock... So I guess ANYBODY can do it! :D LOL

Hahaha very funny, http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/fawk.gif

funny and true! With the right tools and some patience it can be done in an afternoon.

Floyds are tone killers, that's why Dimebags tone sucked :freak: Ya right! You'll definatly need a floyd for Pantera stuff. Don't let anyone discourage you from it either! They are tons 'o fun http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/headbang.gif

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Originally posted by Big Malky:

Can anyone tell me if a Floyd Rose Tremelo Bridge can be fitted to any guitar body or do I have to buy a guitar with one fitted?

Cheers,

Malky

I would save up and buy a guitar with one fitted. You could ruin your guitar and end up with a freak. Any number of the cheaper Ibanez models ie the RG range will do a reasonable job on Pantera stuff.

Kid Rock

Originally posted by kid rock:

Originally posted by Big Malky:

Can anyone tell me if a Floyd Rose Tremelo Bridge can be fitted to any guitar body or do I have to buy a guitar with one fitted?

Cheers,

Malky

I would save up and buy a guitar with one fitted. You could ruin your guitar and end up with a freak. Any number of the cheaper Ibanez models ie the RG range will do a reasonable job on Pantera stuff.

Kid Rock

Or he could buy a Dean 78 Series ML with the Floyd Rose trem, then swap the bridge pickup out for a Dimebucker. Then you'd virtually have the same ax as the signature Dean Braziliaburst model for a few hundred $ less, minus the cartoon stuff.

Originally posted by Trucks.Of.Love:

Tone killer schmone killer!

They are alright! Just a total biyatch if you want to tune down.

Think you have to route out a cavity on most gutiars that dont come with them.... Probably a pro job.. But Xplorer managed to put one on his Warlock... So I guess ANYBODY can do it! :D LOL

i have to agree, they are not always a tone killer.

i have an 87 Kramer pacer custom 2 that suffers no problems from the routed Floyd rose.

in fact it suprises the hell out of me that it has more sustain than some guitars without a trem.

i am talking accoustic sound.

it has great string to string balance as well.

even with a set of "wangy" 9's.

The Floyd I used to have 7the Kahler Steeler solved that tone problem (or better than the stock floyd). It was a Floyd copy but made with tooled steel. The pivot points lasted longer. Thats the problem I have run into with Floyds. If you are an active player who uses the bar alot they stop staying in tune after about 8 or 9 months cuz the pivots wear out and get burrs on them.

I do actually want a Dean ML but my budget is as tight as a midgey's chuff at the moment.

A Razorback would be nice too... oh the addiction of it all.

Cheers for the tips all, I may hunt around for some used guitars you all mentioned and see what I can get on the cheap :)

Originally posted by McGeoff Down Under:

IMHO Floyd Rose are the biggest tone-killers you can get involved with.

Do you *really need* one?

Spawn of Satan.

IMHO.

McG.

I agree. Give me a nice brass Kahler Spider over a Floyd any day... Sustain for miles, plus you can do your goofy little dives and things...

How does the Ibanez Edge Pro rate among the FR & Kahler units? I understand it's supposed to have some improvements over the original FR design but don't know much about them. :confused:

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

I put a floyd rose on my old Ibanez Roadstar recently, much better than the old unit! You have to be constantly careful on stage with FR's because if you nudge the rollers (very easy to do) your totally out of tune. The Kahlers were better in that respect, because the rollers were recessed and harder to budge.
Give me a break!

Archived