Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Graphics

Big Malky

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know a way to make your own decals.

i seen this in an older hot rod mag.

find a very glossy pic from a magazine or poster.

it has to be glossy.

spray the front of the pic with acrylic clear coat several times in alternating patterns each time, allowing each coat to dry.

after it is totally dry, put it in water and rub the paper off the back carefully with your hand.

what will be left is the picture on the acrylic, with a slightly transparent look.

now spray the back with white paint to restore the solid look of the pic.

find a car or guitar to apply it to.

spray the surface with a clear coat, stick the decal on and then cover the whole deal with more clear coat.

works great but But, it will fade if exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods.

i have done it, and it works.

or find an auto/sign decal trim maker like the local auto dealers use to dress up cars with graphics. take them a pic and have them make a vinyl sticker.

i am toying with having our local trimline design do a Peace sells who's buying album art for the top of my Kramer.

I think there's a guy on eBay UK who does this, Malky.

Go into Ebay.co.uk & search in the guitars section for decals and he might turn up if he's still trading.

McG. Down Under

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Wow, great answers from all. I've got a guy in the uk says he can make an acrylic vinyl for £40 more or less, but I will be tryin' that neat trick Zan. Go for it with the album art, pretty cool choice.

Now... I Wonder where I can get a Jolly Roger pic in a magazine (See Avatar) lol

I've heard that it ruins you finish. I guess that doesn't matter if you don't plan to remove the sticker.

I'm a purist though. I think guitars are beautiful just the way they are.

Although, I have heard that a heavy finish can effect the tone of a guitar, I'm thinking may a sticker can effect the tone as well.

In either case, I just hate seeing stickers and decals on one of God's most perfect creations.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

nah, come on to the dark side. :D

Dark side yes... blind side like NO!!! those things are always leaning into your car window in downtown Detroit asking if you want a date!! :eek::thu:
hehe - used to have em hanging in the car in 1968 in Detroit - I see the Motown hasn't changed much 'eh!
"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

Originally posted by strangedogs:

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

nah, come on to the dark side. :D

Dark side yes... blind side like NO!!! those things are always leaning into your car window in downtown Detroit asking if you want a date!! :eek::thu:
hehe - used to have em hanging in the car in 1968 in Detroit - I see the Motown hasn't changed much 'eh!
LOL! pretty much except by the looks of em the selection is much worse :eek::thu:

Archived