Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: OMG!! I hate IPod Shuffels!!

Dr. Ellwood

Holy Toledo!! I just finished up loading FIVE IPod Shuffels for Xmas gifts! what a colossal pain in the keester that was... first thing is using Win Media Player is a pain in the ass and using the Apple Ipod website is one too, and the synchronization is a pain too and I'm still not sure how to delete stuff once it's on the Shuffle? because the Apple site is so lame! you delete on the screen and go back into the screen and it's still there! One Shuffle would have been more than enough but FIVE is insane ...NEVER AGAIN!!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

hehe Buy a Mac son.

Y? it's not the Windows computer it's the stupid Apple Ipod Shuffle, I should have bought a generic little MP3 player instead where you can just click, drag and drop like my Arcos Juke Box!!
It was a joke pops. itunes makes it easy. Make a play list, select is, then plug the thing in. It dumps it on to the ipod.

Maybe you should check out something like this.

http://www.mediafour.com/products/xplay/

EDIT: I jsut installed trial version of this ellwood and it looks like it should be alot easier for you to use. Just drag and drop mp3's etc... More like doing through windows explorer than iTunes.

I don't know about the windows side of it, but I've never found anything much easier than loading an iPod (Shuffle or otherwise).

Did you load iTunes? Its just drag and drop from there.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

See I'm not using Itunes to download new tunes from their site I'm just bringing them in from the cd drive. Thanks Trucks I will download that program and see how it works and thanks! EmptinessOFYouth yep and you where so right! but that Shuffle is what I was told they all wanted so had to get them, I don't want one myself I happy with the Arcos Juke Box for me.

Hey El, yeah the iTunes app should help you.....not sure as I am on a Mac and obviously they work great together.

Anyway, you should be able to select which folders to download. Assuming you create a folder named New Music and upload some CD's into it. You then check the boxes next to the songs and sync the Shuffle and it should take them and only them unless you have selected other folders/songs as well. Then if you want to remove songs from the Shuffle, just deselect them from the list in iTunes and re-sync the Shuffle and pffft they will be gone from the Shuffle but still in the iTunes app and library.

I am not a PC guy but I would assume this is correct.

I would imagine that once you are up and running you will find it simple. You must have been doing different playlists for everyone, and getting the CD's in is time consuming. Are you busting them down to 128Kbps when converting to mp3?....more space that way. A bit of sound loss but the average listener won't really notice mostly. That takes time too. It is way easy if you buy from the iTunes store and the albums are inexpensive. For me I buy an album from time to time and sync the iPod and it is there, no problems, same for photo's, don't know if the Shuffle does pics?

Hey a great Xmas gift.....should be smiles all around. You did a good thing spending all that time doing this for your peeps. I can see right through your gripe! :D That's love baby!! I am thinking of getting the Missus a 30Gig, so she can show photies of the kids and have music to go as well. She better play her cards right if I am going to download a bunch of tunes as well..... :eek: Just kidding!!!!

I didn't catch that you hadn't loaded iTunes. You don't have to buy from the iTunes store. As has been pointed out, you rip your cds into the iTunes program. Then created a playlist for everyone or just do a drag and drop. It really is a breeze.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Thanks Fumble for the info! I downloaded the program that Trucks advised me to do and it looks great (a least more of what I'm used to) but then when it tried to sinc. to my Ipod it said I didn't have enough disc space and that the Ipod needed 1.8 Gig and it said I didn't have enough? and I have tons more disc space than that? I dunno? maybe it means my computer does not have enough space allocated specifically for the Ipod use? and I need to open more for it??? And yep that is exactly what I was doing ..doing all the conversion to MP3 from .wav from the cd albums before I put them on the Shuffels! and not just a straight dump I was taking off tunes that I knew they would not like! which is more tedious, but it will make a nice present.

lee

Sorry mate i feel partly rsponsible for recomending the shuffle but as i said i dont know anything about them but my other does and funnily enough she also uses a mac !!!! so maybe thats why you had the pc nightmare.

sorry mate

G :D

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

That brings up a question. iTunes songs are encoded. I have not been able to make them work with any app other than iTunes unless I first burn them to a cd. How are you guys using other apps to run iTunes songs? It doesn't work for me. Other apps won't open them.

The MS version, buymusic.com is encoded as well, but they play fine on a variety of mp3 players.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Bbach1:

That brings up a question. iTunes songs are encoded. I have not been able to make them work with any app other than iTunes unless I first burn them to a cd. How are you guys using other apps to run iTunes songs? It doesn't work for me. Other apps won't open them.

The MS version, buymusic.com is encoded as well, but they play fine on a variety of mp3 players.

That's part of the copy protection scheme. It only applies to downloads from the iTunes store.

mp3's that you personally import from CD are not affected, nor are mp3's downloaded from sites other than the iTunes store.

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

i told ya to get one of the creative zen thingy's but my posts seem to be invisible as of late...

Where'd ya go? :eek:;):D

Kidding, just KIDDING....I SEE YOU!! :wave:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Hey, Ellwood, you can rip the songs at different bit rates. 192Kps is about the norm. But you can go as low (and crappy sounding) as 32Kps and as high as 320Kps (CD Quality) with MP3s.

The iPod Shuffle only has 1GB of flash memory and the software to run it takes up about a meg and a half, I think.

If you _really_ want to put all those songs on there, you can re-rip them at a different bit rate. But you can't cram more than 1GB of data onto that machine (it doesn't have a hard drive, only flash memory -- that's why it's great for joggers).

If you must have more than 1GB of space you'll have to go with a different device.

The best software to interface to an iPod with is iTunes. You can rip from CDs with it and it's got an interface that I like a lot. It's easy to use and syncing to an iPod takes very little time.

The newest version of iTunes 7.0.2 makes it even easier to setup the iPod connection and your preferences for updating it. You can select all your audio and video or just selected playlists (you can sync more than one to the iPod). It also separates the media by type. You can tell it to just sync music and not podcasts or video (since the Shuffle doesn't do video...).

The iTunes download is free. I just wish you could download it and tell it NOT to install QuickTime. I despise some Quicktime's bad habits. But Apple is guilty of quite a bit of hubris in the way they do things. You can always remove iTunes and Quicktime if you want to.

I use iTunes for music. It's a 2007 Lambourghini Diablo compared to Windows Media Player's 1962 Volkswagen Beetle (IMHO) :D .

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by The Big G:

lee

Sorry mate i feel partly rsponsible for recomending the shuffle but as i said i dont know anything about them but my other does and funnily enough she also uses a mac !!!! so maybe thats why you had the pc nightmare.

sorry mate

G :D

Oh no it's sure not your fault Big G.. it's just me the nut behind the wheel trying to get used to the software. And LPCustom thanks for the help I will keep working with the Itunes and I will get better at it.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

hehe Buy a Mac son.

Y? it's not the Windows computer it's the stupid Apple Ipod Shuffle, I should have bought a generic little MP3 player instead where you can just click, drag and drop like my Arcos Juke Box!!
feel partly responsible becaue I told you how much I loved mine, but I'm confused. I use iTunes (it' on the CD that came with the Shuffle, or you can download it). Then all I did was import all my music files, it alphabetized them for me, and I just plug-in the iPod and click and drag. I'm not sure I understand what process you are using. It takes me less than 5 minutes to fill up the 1GB iPod. I spend more time choosing which songs I want on there than anything else.

I use a creative muvo^2fm player. Unlike the iPods, it's a true cross-platform product. That's because the microdrive's one of those uHDD drives. I can read/write to the thing on any PC that recognizes a Windows FAT32 file system. It's also easy to find a replacement battery for it, and can run with the included AC adapter (120/220V), or a car adapter. Smart.

Need some proof? http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdev.php?id=3901

Archived