Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT:The state of things

Fumblyfingers

Isn't technology great!

I see posts here like stuff about MySpace and whether it is a crock..... Kramer questions the advent of recording. Other discussions cover the internet, speed of information, affordable home studios, 1000's of choices for guitars and other instruments and effects. We can shop and order this stuff from an armchair and have it delivered. We can check on it's shipping status from a cell phone and then plug that phone into a computer and update the contact list or sync it and save the info in that phone on a server somewhere. The pictures and video we can take with that phone we can send through the air to a friend or save it on a website for free.I can call my Mom overseas and video conference with her, for free using my computer.I can pay most of my bills using my computer, do most of my my personal banking online as well as investing.

I can also give my kids a phone that has a GPS in it and I can go to my computer and look up their whereabouts.

We can jam with each other, play solo's on people's tracks, who we have perhaps never met, talked to in person or even seen a picture of. We can create these recordings using totally free software that sounds pretty good and put them on the web where countless people can listen to them.

It's crazy!

Now I see there is a big name studio in the UK with a famous client list, that offers to mix your songs. You electronically send them the files by computer, they mix them on their famous gear and you can watch the session via your computer and camera's in their studio.... and discuss things. $800 a song......On the cheaper end of things there is now a Numark USB turntable you connect to your computer. It comes with Audacity for Mac and PC to remove pops and scratches from the vinyl records you transfer to your computer which now can end up in your iPod or other mp3 player.Tons of gear coming out every month aimed at you and your computer and your need to keep up the pace.

It is fricken incredible to say the least. Some of you grew up with it. I did not. In my day vinyl was the norm and they warped and got scratched. Computers were things university's were trying to develop or something and the Bible warned about them. Phones went tring and they had permanent wires coming out of them. If you wanted to show Bob the pics of your new girlfriend, you had to carry the prints around with you....all dogeared and shit in your back pocket. Now it's like pull out the iPod or phone and "hey, check it out dude...hmmm,hmmm, fuken awesome or what??"

10 years ago I was computer illiterate, was afraid to turn on my girlfriend's computer in case I fucked it up! Now I go deep into my Mac and even help my now wife with her questions about her apps on her PC or whatever. She kicks ass with word processing and Excel, presentations and stuff though, that stuff I am not up on at all.

Funny thing is that it seems that now everything is so fast, life is moving faster also. I can remember snail mail and landlines without answering machines. I can remember the wait to hear back or be called back. I can remember having to order something and wait to get it. I can clearly remember not being available between point A and point B and how much could happen in that time....but those trying to get a hold of me..... they had to wait also.

Nowadays, if I don't get through right away or cannot reach someone, if a store does not have it in stock, if a page takes a long time to load....I'm starting to get annoyed....come on...come on, come on !!!!!

Isn't technology great!?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes. And all of it has `revenge effects` (not my term), such as, the faster it moves, and the faster things become obsolete the more waste is created. Computers were supposed to make life easier but anyone who has had a job moving data around might be hard to convince of that. I am impressed with much of it, don`t get me wrong. But the degree to which things foul up, are prone to theft and error sometimes suggests a `work in progress for sale` to me. But that`s my take, there`s cause to be happy too-have your sunny day :)

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yip its a crazy world, 15 years ago mobile phones just started to break into the market properly and now you can run your whole life through them if you so desire. recording was difficult and expensive now open to all via PC and cheap recorders for home, yet the sound is great!!!

Strangely enough we havent revisited the moon?????

Some of the advancement is great, some i am not so keen, a mixed bag

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

I often get this feeling like, the world I grew up in is slipping away at an alarming rate. More and more, I find myself living in a strange foreign world. I adapt and learn as I go, but it's shocking that some of the kids today, have never seen a record, or heard of The Beatles. They are growing up in a world that is very different then mine was.

My wife's Grandmother is 101 years old. The world she grew up in, was devoid of technology, as we know it. For her, she must feel as though she's living in an alien world. From airplanes and space travel, to cell phones and computers. Her world no longer exists.

I think that, as we get older, our world disappears. Replaced by a world that just isn't the same to us. The technology is different, but so are the values, the speed of life and even the general feel of things.

Nostalgia can draw you back in to the world that you miss, but the feelings of being "homesick" for the way things were, doesn't pass. The stories our elders told of "The good ole' days" was their way of trying to hold on, to what little of their world was left.

Now that our world is being replaced by High Definition DVDs and the prospect of public space travel, I can feel my world slipping away. Don't get me wrong, I love the new technologies, but I really yearn for the "Good ole' days" sometimes, myself.

Just think we still got a long way to go in our lifetime too!!

In 30 years, I will no doubt be saying "you remember when we all had poor eyesight and RSI from using a computer" and "cant beleive we didnt want to realise what cell phones were doing to us until we all grew big fat thumbs and got brain tumours" "we used to have nuclear equipment to cook our food in"

Its the sheer amount of data that flows through our bodies, digital.. analog... so much interference.. that amases me.. Yuo cant go ten feet without a cell phone mast pumping out its goodness, or digital & analog tv/radio signals.

Like we didnt have enough to worry about with natural radiation passing through us on an atomic level LOL

I often wonder what the hell I used to do before I had the internet. Now a lot of my free time is spent in front of the screen.

Sometimes I have to force myself to shut it off. People around the world know more about me and my life than the people I work with everyday. Sometimes I feel I have better friends on the internet.

Life is short and I'm living it but it's better for me to go on a hike with my kids and enjoy nature once in a while before its gone...

I have to question whether the Internet/computers/cell phones and all the other gadgets/devices that have so rapidly permeated our every day existence...really DO speed things up...?

Seems to me...they actually slow everything down!

When you get on the Internet...you usually end up bouncing through at least a half dozen sites every time as part of your regular routine....and that often takes awhile!

Check this forum...make a few posts...hit Yahoo and check one mail account...then hit your other 2-3 mail accounts...then Google for some quick research....then off to another forum...then back to the email accounts to see if you get responses to the emails you sent out 15 minutes ago...and on and on and on...

...and before you know it...you burned up 2-3 hours JUST checking on a few things!!!

You really didn't do anything of any true value at all!

Same thing with cell phones...

Before cell phones, you only took and made calls when really needed.

Now...it seems like everyone is permanently on the phone (especially those people with the little headsets they have on all the time :rolleyes: )...

and the number of calls we take and make has increased ten fold.

THAT...takes up another couple of extra hours in our short day.

Then there's the pagers and Blackberries and little Palm devices that all of a sudden people just can't live without. :eek:

The large amount of time spent daily poking around on them is also something we did not do 5-10 years ago.

So...we ain't moving any faster...where just doing a lot more things than we never, ever use too...and it only seems like we get more accomplished, when in reality...we have less and less quality time.

And shit...I too live at my computer...it's my job.

And when I'm home, I go through that whole 2-3 hour routine in the mornings...checking emails and forums...

...and then again later in the day...sometimes checking back 3-4 times during the day.

It takes a LOT of discipline to "just say no!"...and shut the damn computer off and go do something that is REAL.

Usually, when I do break away from the computer...and I end up actually DOING something (like working in the studio)...I'm often much more satisfied at the end of the day than when I just spend the whole day mousing around on the Internet.

It's really quite sad that we all now use the Internet as our main social outlet/center.

While it does make some things available to us that we never had beforemost of those things are not all THAT important in the big picture of our lives (though Im sure many people think they are).

I think the Internet/cell phones/electronic communication devices are THE drug of the new millennium!

There will be rehab centers popping up in the near future for people wishing to disconnect and get out of the electronic/communications loop!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by A String:

I often get this feeling like, the world I grew up in is slipping away at an alarming rate. More and more, I find myself living in a strange foreign world. I adapt and learn as I go,

That's all you can do. It's important to respect where you came from, and what came before, but it is vitally important to live in the here and now.

but it's shocking that some of the kids today, have never seen a record, or heard of The Beatles. They are growing up in a world that is very different then mine was.

Paul McCartney was in a band before he did that Visa commercial? ;)

My wife's Grandmother is 101 years old. The world she grew up in, was devoid of technology, as we know it. For her, she must feel as though she's living in an alien world. From airplanes and space travel, to cell phones and computers. Her world no longer exists.

I disagree that her world no longer exists - read on.

I think that, as we get older, our world disappears. Replaced by a world that just isn't the same to us. The technology is different, but so are the values, the speed of life and even the general feel of things.

I disagree.

If you took me aside when I was fourteen and at the height of my "youth culture/teen rebellion" phase and told me what was going to happen to me in the next 14 years (and the 12 more since then too) I would have been like "Pfft. Yeah, right. :rolleyes: "

Life is fluid. Trying to preserve something you think is ideal at any given moment will make you feel left behind, make you miss out on things, make you crazy.

I thought I had a pretty good thing going on when I was about 25, good pay, good hours, doing some things with my music... By the time I was 30, I was in a different job, different hours, doing different music.

The stuff I'm doing now is different still, and after I finish the project I'm focused on, I'm looking forward to some other things I haven't adequately explored and developed.

I'm proud of what I've done before, and what I'm doing now. I don't think I've left too many stains on the carpet.

Nostalgia can draw you back in to the world that you miss, but the feelings of being "homesick" for the way things were, doesn't pass. The stories our elders told of "The good ole' days" was their way of trying to hold on, to what little of their world was left.

I see the "good ol' days" as foundation for these days, which in another few years will be even more "good ol' days" to reflect on. A lot of the "good ol' days" were the "crappy ol' days" at the time, but with perspective they take on a certain sheen. I lived through some real ugly shit when I was 16-17 years old, but looking back I can see the roots of some important core values that still shape my decisions. If you would have told me at the time that having both my parents hospitalized within a span of a week would be a good thing in the end, I would have smashed my head against a wall.

You never can tell.

Now that our world is being replaced by High Definition DVDs and the prospect of public space travel, I can feel my world slipping away. Don't get me wrong, I love the new technologies, but I really yearn for the "Good ole' days" sometimes, myself.

Live long enough and you can look back and say "remember when we thought looking at moving pictures on a screen was entertainment."

technology has done some good things, it has made the world smaller.

here i am talking to buds from several continents.

if i had the pc recording software i could "jam" with tunes posted by players all over the world.

almost instantly i can get info from experienced players from all walks of life.

i have replaced mindless TV watching with interaction with all you guys.

i have more info when i go to the store.

think about it, just yesterday i listened to Rehearsals of Led frikin Zep!

as far as cell phones and other advancements.

i don't have a cell phone or palm pilot.

i don't get gadgets for gadgets sake.

i do miss my era. the 60's and 70's were a cool time.

i don't like the throw away aspect of the now.

the push for constantly offering something "better" before anyone has actually tapped the potential of the "soon to be obsolete" is annoying as hell.

to me it is only a push to constantly sell you soon to be redundant crap to maintain the market place that only benefits a few.

buy buy buy, it is cool, you can be cool, blah blah blah.

the technology is less of a problem in my eyes, the big problem is the marketing that pushes it.

i would guess there is a very small pecentage of people who actually use thier technology for it's intended purpose.

the rest are just buying what they are told.

Originally posted by Billster:

Trying to preserve something you think is ideal at any given moment will make you feel left behind, make you miss out on things, make you crazy.

Yeahbut now you are talking about the natural growth/experience process that we all go through.

This thread is more about the high tech world that has taken over our lives and controls our every momentevery movement!

That was not the case 10 years ago100 years agoa 1000 years ago.etc.

Yeahthe automobile replaced the horse a 100 years agobut thats not the same as today where almost everyone is connected almost 24/7.

That constant connectivity is not healthyand we are all becoming too dependant on it and we feel the need to maintain it 24/7otherwise we might miss out on something. :rolleyes:

Shitthese days, people go for a hike in the mountainsand they bring along their cell phone or Blackberry.

And thats NOT just for emergencies. Its because they NEED to be connectedits an addiction!

Originally posted by miroslav:

Trying to preserve something you think is ideal at any given moment will make you feel left behind, make you miss out on things, make you crazy.

Yeahbut now you are talking about the natural growth/experience process that we all go through.

This thread is more about the high tech world that has taken over our lives and controls our every momentevery movement!

That was not the case 10 years ago100 years agoa 1000 years ago.etc.

Yeahthe automobile replaced the horse a 100 years agobut thats not the same as today where almost everyone is connected almost 24/7.

That constant connectivity is not healthyand we are all becoming too dependant on it and we feel the need to maintain it 24/7otherwise we might miss out on something. :rolleyes:

Shitthese days, people go for a hike in the mountainsand they bring along their cell phone or Blackberry.

And thats NOT just for emergencies. Its because they NEED to be connectedits an addiction!

OK, I'll play.

The only people who are enslaved to technology choose to be. The wisdom to choose well is not dependent on the availability of any particular technology, but on the ability to decide on how to use it, or even to use it at all.

High tech doesn't control me, my time, or my movement. I don't own a cellphone. My tv and computer have off buttons. I pay cash for most things, without "preferred shoppers" cards so my purchases aren't tracked. I turn off the ringer on my "regular" telephone when I don't want to be bothered.

I use the technology I want, when I want, to enhance my life, but I'd be perfectly comfortable with a horse and buggy as long as I had indoor plumbing......

OK, I'll play.

The only people who are enslaved to technology choose to be. The wisdom to choose well is not dependent on the availability of any particular technology, but on the ability to decide on how to use it, or even to use it at all.

Agreed, 100%!

But what I am getting at is that is no different than saying that the people who are enslaved to heroin choose to be. :D

Computer/communications technology has many addictive qualities...and too often, MANY people feel the need to be "connected" 24/7...even if they really don't.

And just like with a chemical dependency...they CAN'T disconnect without experiencing withdrawal-like symptoms.

So try telling a heroin addict to just choose NOT to be an addict...it won't work!

Also...I feel that a lot of people think that all their little devices are truly making their lives better in some(?) way...and so that makes it very hard for them to even consider giving any of them up.

I wonder how many people who are device addicts could spend a week or two unconnected...out in the woods or on some distant beach...etc.

And not where they are put there against their will...but where they consciously commit to leaving their gadgets behind.

Who can honestly live without their email for a week or two if they really didn't have to?

Though in most cases....95% of the email they receive is either spam...or just mindless chatter that can be easily lived without?

I agree that technology is just a tool that can be used any way you likebut theres no denying that its very addictive and it has quickly become a real big part of almost every minute of every day in our liveswhen it really isnt THAT important or necessary.

We have elevated it to a high level of importance and theres no turning back for most.

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

High tech doesn't control me, my time, or my movement. I don't own a cellphone. My tv and computer have off buttons. I pay cash for most things, without "preferred shoppers" cards so my purchases aren't tracked. I turn off the ringer on my "regular" telephone when I don't want to be bothered.

I use the technology I want, when I want, to enhance my life, but I'd be perfectly comfortable with a horse and buggy as long as I had indoor plumbing......

SO THERE ARE MORE OF US OUT THERE!!! People sure do act like im a wierdo when they are like "i tried calling you last night!! :mad: " "oh right, yeah the phone was unplugged, what did you want?" "oh just a chat" "I see... :freak: "

...I'd be perfectly comfortable with a horse and buggy as long as I had indoor plumbing...

Hey...my goal is a nice little cabin in the woods...with none of the high-tech gadgets around.

:D

But there is a rapidly growing generation of tech addicts that could NEVER go for the horse and buggy...or the cabin in the woods.

Take this thread for instance.

Yes, we are having an exchangediscussing the state of thingsgetting each others opinions on the issuesetc.

But what if none of us did that? If we spent this same time on something else?

Would it really matterare we really getting anything substantial out of this exchange?

Im not knocking the value of small talkbut for a lot of people, THATS what comprises their each and every dayin HUGE quantities!

Lots of mindless chatter via Internet or cell phone or some instant messaging deviceand that is supposed to fulfill a social interaction requirementthough it really doesnt.

Imaging if you went out for a long walkand you DIDNT take your cell phone along for those possible calls/instant conversations you might miss while walking.

Or if you skipped your email for a day??? :eek:

It just seems that the ONLY way most of us connect with each other these daysis by emailcell phoneforum

Heckwe email or instant message our coworkers who probably sit only ten feet away from usrather than walk over and have an eyeball-to-eyeball conversation

Originally posted by miroslav:

...I'd be perfectly comfortable with a horse and buggy as long as I had indoor plumbing...

Hey...my goal is a nice little cabin in the woods...with none of the high-tech gadgets around.

:D

But there is a rapidly growing generation of tech addicts that could NEVER go for the horse and buggy...or the cabin in the woods.

Exactly. My youngest daughter(27) lives attached to her phone. She thinks nothing of spending 2 hours watching tv "with" me long distance 3 or four nights a week. While we do that she surfs the web....

I'd rather sit on the front porch with an acoustic and watch the stars.......

Where have I heard this before...

I expect technology to enhance my life and not unduly influence it to the point where it is either and extension of who am or what I'm transitioning to or that the expectations of others attributes those technologies as an integral part of who I am.

It's decidedly not in the interest of government that we think this way. When somebody says "We cannot let the terrorist achieve their objective of frightening our nation to the point where people do not shop" we know our purpose in life.... at least from their perspective.

The candy was sweet. We chew away watching the door close fast on a salvation as we prepare for submission unknowingly. Ask not from those who have had none when we are full and the cause and example has been us.

How do you answer your kids when they ask you "is it truly screwed" and then what do you do about it as an example?

I think all those years in AA changed me somehow.

Don't know where that came from.. but it's out there.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I was just talking to someone about how much has changed on the highways, something that's been around a half century.

When I grew up in the 1970's, we had to pay close attention to the, "Next rest stop in ____ miles" signs that occasionally dotted highways. My parents would drive us from Chicago to relatives in New York or New Jersey, and later from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale. The highways were largely trails through vast deserts of fields or forests, with few gas stations and fast food every 40 or more miles.

Today, you can exit every second or third stop between Nashville and Chicago and know there will be gas or food. And the toilets at modern gas stations are often much better than the place around the back of an old service station. ;)

Of course the other side of that coin is incredible urban sprawl around big cities and even in areas that used to be farm fields as far as the eye could see.

You take the good with the bad and hope today's development planners are paying more attention to the consequences of their decisions than those of a generation ago.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

A couple of years ago I mentioned a Blues course I was taking at the Harvard Extension school, I ended up dropping it but am going back in the spring, and with the latest technology everyone here can take the course too!, it's offered online...not all technology is bad.

It's my habits and personality that determines how I'm living, I happen to enjoy sitting on the computer but on the other hand I sometimes feel like it's a major waste of time. I'm happy to have it-but as my professor often mentioned in environmental science as we talked of global warming...who would have thought 20 years ago that today almost every home would have a computer and how much energy and power is being used while the computer sits running for hours and what is this doing to our environment??...yet you will not find one day out of the week that my computer is not turned on...

Yeah, I'm always amazed when you see films from say, the 1970s and they live in a world that, thanks to retro fashion and nostalgia, doesn't look all that different to ours. And then they go and do something bizarre, like stopping to ring someone from a public phone(!)

The last time I tried to use a public phone say, four or five years ago, I discovered that a) they no longer took coins, you had to have a phone card and b) I couldn't figure out how the damned thing worked anyway! :rolleyes::P

I think computers (and I'm happy in the IT industry, so I'm not exactly for going back to farming) have made life a lot better, but somehow, the only things that really improve are the things that computers are good at.

I know, that sounds really "duh, Fred!", but even though I can order stuff online and talk to you guys and check out a webcam from the South Pole, it hasn't really made my life any happier. Except for talking to you guys, of course. :thu:

I suppose that "The Big Lie" was that progress would make us happy, whereas all that progress can do for us is make us more efficient. And they DID sell us that lie, ever since the Industrial Revolution... that idea that if we no longer got our hands dirty, we would all become better people.

I think that if we all accepted that Progress simply means Efficiency, we'd all be a lot happier because we'd see a lot more clearly. We wouldn't confuse buying stuff online with being happy.

I'm also worried about the way that "the computer" has become a sort of surrogate witch for so many people. How many times have we been told that something "is a computer error" where what has REALLY happened is that some clerk made a typing error? It worries me that people are so ready to blame computers for problems, in the same way that they'd blame the freaky old lady in the village whenever the kids got a cough.

Fumbly: The thing I find most amazing about modern life was in an article in the SF mag, Analog. It described a new process whereby lasers pointing into a vat of liquid plastic could produce parts thanks to instructions sent via a telephone line. So, theoretically, you could fix any sort of machinery, even in the wilds of outer Mongolia. Now, if that ain't magic, I don't know what is.

Great thread, and thoughtful comments, Fumbly!

I now work to keep OUT OF TOUCH.

It's actually not so hard. I don't actually like people that much!!! ONLY KIDDING! ;)

Turn the celly off. Screw a pager, I won't own one. I climb up a tree, and sit there for hours thinking and contimplating while I deer hunt....I really don't care if I see a critter or not. That's how I sort things out.....it's a form of prayer...

I don't mind if I DO HAPPEN to see a critter. But, it's the peace and isolation that helps my brain. Now, if I could bring my '50's tele and deluxe up the tree with me, I'd really be on to something..... :D

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I do feel that the internet (and TV, vid games, etc.) has contributed to a society that has lost valuable interpersonal skills, such as civility, common manners, and the ability to actually speak face to face with one's neighboor, and become connected to one's community. Today it's easier to be nasty to, or shoot, stab, etc. one's neighboor WHEN they piss you off. It used to be that we were friends, and perhaps actually liked or felt a comradery with our neighboors. It's easy to express a primitive negative response to a computer screen. So, it happens too often. After a while, it's only second nature to exhibit that same attitude to real live people.

I MUST be getting old!!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Not to get too off-topic, but I used to make fun of older folks who always complained about how hard it was when they were younger. Now, I'm still not that old, but feel like I'm edging toward the former. For instance:

1. Three tv channels (4 if you count UHF!) and dad had to climb up on the roof throught the snow to adjust the tv antenna. When the remote came out it was a giant brick!

2. 8 Tracks. My mom had Neil Diamond, John Denver, Barry Manilow, and the Gatlin Brothers. We had a player in our van.

3. In high school I had a case full of tapes--VH, ZZ Topp, etc. I remember spending $9 a piece (minimum) for them. I'm not sure what became of that $1000 worth of tapes.

4. I remember LOVING 80's music, but I was in high school through the prime 80's years.

5. At least half the people I knew didn't wear seatbelts and there were no baby seats.

6. There was no PC (political correctness...oh, and personal computers either).

7. I vividly remember spending hours on a friend's Commodore 64 and staying up all night playing Atari 2600 with my little brother. We had at least 50 games and they cost $40 at Toys R Us.

8. No microwave ovens.

9. Every telephone had a cord, and most had pulse dialing.

10. What's a Walkman?

11. We had a VCR in 1982 and I can remember seeing a VHS tape of Beverly Hills Cop at the department store for $79.99.

12. Record players (can you even buy one anymore?) had 3 speeds. I had a handful of 45's and at least one 78 (Gene Autry's "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer".

That's all for now...

I agree it is GREAT!!! Only going to get better too. I can already visualize some stuff that we will have in the near future.

Like, imagine if you had an exercise bike in your home, and when you rode it you wore some kind of headset so you could ride it in virtual reality wherever you wanted. Then on top of that you can ride with your friend or family member over the internet and they appear real to you in your virtual 3d environment. I think that is the future of exercise. When the internet 2 arrives maybe.

I also think because of the virtual reality stuff and the increasing bandwidth of the new internet that people will be able to explore deeper dimensions of thought and awareness, creative expression.

Hi guys....back from a two day stint in bed with a vicious 'flu that hit the stomach and came with nasty body aches....the whole family went down at the same time....what a mess. Felt it come on as I got up from posting this.

This got interesting. Lot's of good points and thoughts.

I have to say that mostly I really enjoy what technology has to offer.

I can reach or be reached by my wife, school or day care in event of an emergency....right now....unless I am out of a service area.

I love PS2...my escape late at night with the headphones on, when I do not have a good movie to watch.

I love the connectibility of the internet. I am new to the video conferencing thing but I still get a laugh out of a new-to-it buddy when we get hooked up for the first time. It's always like" dude this is so cool! "

I love being able to play guitar and interact with more people, to learn more and offer teaching or advice.

But yes there are excesses and downsides, I guess they come with everything.

I suppose the big one is people being put out of work by technological advances, automation etc. Little stores are dying everywhere and maybe only the big ones will survive the internet shoppers. Take a look at Tower, down and out!

Lot's of different ways this manifests. But the thing is, we are on this roll. It is not going backwards anytime soon. So I suppose the smart thing is to roll with it and grow as much as possible.

My old neighbor , he's late 70's-early 80's is really into the computer. He just bought the latest HP, I went to Costco with him to help him load out and in. This is his 2nd computer. He has a cable modem, a headset and camera and he Skype's his buddies and family overseas. He has a digital camera and Mini DV and he loads and edits his stuff in the PC. He told me, "you got to keep your brain working or you die"

His wife died a few years ago. She had some crippling disease. She would not do anything, just sat around waiting to go, had no interest. He got a PC so he could play Soliatire and he taught her how to use the mouse to play it. It was one of the few motions she could handle. She loved it and got a revived ineterest in things, and he said there was a big improvement in her.Supposedly she kinda picked up for a good period of time. The disease still got her, but the quality of her life had improved in the mean time.

My Mom is old but and has her PC and sends E mails and we swap photo's. Soon I will have her on Skype.

I think we are in a good place, despite the bad of it.

Well if we`re talking about technology in general, here`s a `tale from the darkside` for you. Actually there have been stories going around for centuries about people said to have these kind of abilities, personally my jury`s still out:

http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usawc/Parameters/98spring/thomas.htm

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived