Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tube Maintenance

J_2012

I bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe about 7 or 8 months ago and I love it and haven't had any problems with it, but today as I was driving home with it in my back seat I could hear the tubes rattling and it made me realize that I have no clue when it comes to tubes. Should i check them, replace them, cover them when I transport the amp, or ect...? It'd be a shame to spend all that money on an amp and have something go wrong because I was under-educated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they're rattliing, they probably need ot be pushed back up into their sockets. The way to tell if they are going bad is if the starts amp sounding bad.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

It seems odd that you would hear them rattling around in the tube socket. It's not like there's a bunch of room for them to move. Are you sure you weren't hearing the reverb tank's spring bouncing around? I get that all the time with my Deluxe Reverb in the back seat of my rig.

It's something in ther trunk.

Look in the trunk first and then check the reverb like D.Fox said. I don't think a tube in a relatively new amp could rattle given the design of the socket. Most tubes I've tried to pull were quite snug and to have all of the contacts be sloppy enough to permit a rattle suggests the sockets are faulty and need to be replaced. Sloppy contact will be permenant, cause arcing and lead to tube failure eventually.

You will know if they feel sloppy in your hand. They shouldn't.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

I guess I was wrong. It probably wasn't the tubes rattling, but that really wasn't the point. I wasn't worried about the rattling sound, it just made me think about the tubes and how I don't know anything about them. Sorry for the confusion.

Hi there..

If you just take a trip to the Marshall site you can read through the Tube Primer they have on their web site. It applies to all tube amps and give all the do's don'ts and some understanding of what and why tubes are preferred.... by some.

Valve Primer

There are better sites but this is quite user friendly for the common man, woman or child.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived