Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Attenuators

Durockrolly

Does anyone have experience using an attenuator. I would like to use one at home (for practice) to get more of the true cranked up volume sound of my amp at low volume. Can they be used at mid amp volume. For example... I play at blues jam nights around town. Most of the venues are small and we usually don't have our volumes past 4 (of 1-12). I have a Hot Rod DeVille 410 and the volume set to 4 or 5 can be fairly loud. I would like to get more of the true cranked up sound this amp produces at higher volumes without having to crank it to 10 or 11. I use a TS-9 pedal but would like that amp sound.

Fernando

If you can't say it in 12 bars... then it can't be said!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a Weber. It is a breeze to hook up, and is great for practicing with the amp cranked but not loud. It does change the sound, not that I'm willing to back that up with any detail. I didn't A/B the sound that much, I really just used it to practice all cranked up while not shaking the walls. For that it is good.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

Yes, I think I could easily use it at a gig. I wouldn't play an extremely small place with an extremely loud amp with the hopes of "tone of 11, volume of 1", but to tame a loud amp a little bit. The more you have to dial down the attentenuator the more the tone will suffer.

You will perceive a tone difference, and we all know some guitarists that will never be able turn their trebles up to compenstate enough without freaking out. For the guys that can't play unless everything sounds "right", then this might not be the solution. The guy that won't turn down out because he "can't get his sound" at lower volumes without caring that he's single handedly chasing everyone back 15-20 feet away from the stage: that guy will feel like his morals are being compromised by an attentenuator. I used to do sound (briefly) in a club with too many of "those" guys. I think an attenuator will at least help you find a middle ground between "great cranked" tone and holding back the amp too much.

If you were local to me I'd let you check it out, as thatis the only real way to see.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I have a Weber too. Everything that musicalhair said pretty much hits the nail on the head. I use mine with my Valve Jr head only at home, and for the $$, it's great. If ever the ocassion came about, I wouldn't hesitate gigging with it. Check out Weber's website(I don't remember exactly what it is, but doing a search for Weber mass or weber attentuator will get you there) for more info, they make several different models, all of them are priced very reasonable. Good luck.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I have heard the Dr. Z Air Brake in a live situation and thought it sounded great. Forumite Lee Flier uses one. You may wan to send her a PM or e-mail to get some feedback on her experience with it.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

The THD HotPlate sounds sweet...easy to hook up...though it's not cheap at around $275.

You can find 'em on eBay for around $200-$225.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/hotplate.htm

I've used it on my 100W Mark 3 Traynor and also on my 40W YCV40 Traynor...and it works perfectly.

You can dial in just about any kind of volume/crunch ratio that you like. :cool:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Attenuators will sound their best with the least attenuation; therefore, you'll get a better result at a gig than at home. A cranked monster amp at bedroom volume will sound poor at best (very fizzy and compressed tone) but you will be able to get a very good tone at a reasonably loud volume (as opposed to atrociously loud without the attenuator).

I have a HotPlate and I would not use my Marshall (50W, non-master volume) without it: it's a crucial part of getting my amp to sound great without destroying everything around.

That being said, if I had to get an attenuator now I would seriously consider the Weber Mass as it is cheaper ($225 versus $299 for the HotPlate at MF) but mostly because it is considered more transparent.

In short: :thu: for attenuators!

I've heard Lee use her Airbrake with her blackface Pro. Sounds great.

I have a Weber Mass and it sounds great too. As previously mentioned, it's best when used to knock a really cranked amp down to reasonable gig/jam level. For bedroom level, it's best to use a small amp and a fuzz box.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by mdrs:

Has anyone used the Marshall Power Brake?

I've never used one but reviews and shootouts typically place it at the bottom of the pile regarding tone and feel (the feel of the amp does not seem to translate well).

However this is second-hand knowledge so YMMV.

You know one thing people often say about attenuation is that it compresses the sound.

I am no expert but really I think what happens is that because you aren't playing as loud you aren't driving the speakers hard. That is part of the tone. I mean when you are driving the speakers. I find with my Bivalve if I play loud enough (like stage volume) problem solved.

Or if I had an OD pedal, I could just not even use the attenuater. CRanked up about half way with the right tubes the Bivalve can get a really hot bluesy tone. I am SURE with a great OD pedal you could make it scream thus further.

Or you can just use the attenuater and get massive gain.

I just got some free 6V6's. I am looking forward to tryin them out.

Archived