Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My pretty seven. and BLACK METAL

thanny XIII

So I am over hauling my seven. New binding, paint, floyd rose, electronics, pickups, fretboared, the works. It shall be shibby. What are some good seven string humbuckers on the lower end of the price range? and what paint should i use. Also, any advice for routing the floyd rose?

All this is because i am starting a black metal band with my friends.I'm going to be the youngest. It will kick butt. It will be metaler than anything. I'll post stuff when we have it.

I knew a girl that was into biamping,I sure do miss

her.-ButcherNburn

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe i am nuts but "metaler than anything" sounds like a cool name.

i am serious.

MTA :thu:

what is the 7 stringer in question again?

that sounds like alot of work. is it allready floyd equipped?

routing the floyd out is going to change the tone, if you want heavy tones i would think hard on any wood removal.

more info needed.

It is a washburn. It is not routed for a floyd, but l like the way the floyd guitars ive played sound. and i like the wavy awsome noise they make. I'm going to rout carefully, ewith as little removal as possible.

her.-ButcherNburn

Sell the guitar and get one that already has a Floyd. It'll be easier and cheaper.

You said you're getting a new fretboard???? How much is all this costing you? Or are you doing it all yourself?

Again, it's usually more cost effective to go out and buy a higher quality instrument with the features you want rather than upgrade a lower-tier guitar.

In any case, I put a DiMarzio Evolution 7 in one of my Ibanez 7-strings and it would definitely work well for extreme metal. Cost around $65 a few years back.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by thanny XIII:

So I am over hauling my seven. New binding, paint, floyd rose, electronics, pickups, fretboared, the works. It shall be shibby. What are some good seven string humbuckers on the lower end of the price range? and what paint should i use. Also, any advice for routing the floyd rose?

Hey dude. I installed a Floyd on a fixed bridge warlock, it wasn't hard but you need to plan it out carefully.

I got the footprint template from the Stew Mac website (I think). I cut the template out of a piece of plexi glass. From there, I removed the old bridge and plugged/filled the old post holes and let them set. I sanded the plugs to level the surface.

Next was marking and drilling the new post holes for the floyd. I used whatever info I could find on the net for this consideration. I don't remember it being difficult to figure out, there is a crap ton of info out there. Anyway, always use a drill press and take time to think about how you will clamp, you don't want it to move once you've began. Also, the hole centers need to be dead nuts on! Don't miss!

After I had the new post holes drilled, I positioned and clamped my plexi glass template onto the body. Using a dremel with a routing depth setter and a lot of careful patience, I began routing out the cavity. Make sure you have your template clamped down good! I stepped the depth down in two or three passes, this would depend on how good your wood and cutter get along. Be gentle! When I was happy with the cavity, I got some thin foam with an adhesive backing to set in the cavity to make it look sharp and to protect the bridge and body from those aggressive bar wanking activities.

The rest of the hardware install was simple. I ended up installing the locking nut just behind my existing nut. I don't have a nut with the proper string spacing yet, and my headstock is at an angle that would require me to shim up under the nut to have it sit level. I'm not willing to do that until I have the proper nut. Anyway, the lock behind the existing nut works just great! Stays realativly in tune for days with properly stretched strings. I made some lock bloks out of aluminum stock.

For pickups... I wish I could help more. I've heard great things about the Duncan JB and 59's in 7-string packages. Also the EMG 707 is always a favorite. I'd probubly go with a sweet sounding passive pick-up and add an EMG Afterburner. That's what I did. I can still get some useable clean tones, but the balls-to-the-wall death metal action is just a pull pot away!

I also painted my guitar after installing the Floyd. I used Krylon brand spray paint. There is also alot of useful info on the net that will guide you through the painting process. You'll need to pick up some supplies- paint, sand paper, tack cloths, etc. I used an automotive clear coat spray can for the top coat, but the recommended stuff is the nitrocellulose lacquer spray. I'm too cheap to buy that stuff, and I don't care how the finish on this guitar holds up to time. I painted it one colour at a time (obviously) using overlaping masking tape patterns.

Here is a pic of my finished guitar:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/warlock10bb.jpg

I'm getting an Ibanez RG7321 7-string. It hasn't came in yet, but I'm stoked!

Keep us posted on this project, it sounds like you are making a monster!

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I'm all for changing the pickups in the Washburn... and I must commend Xplorer for his work on the Warlock... but, I'd go with getting another 7 if you must have a Floyd. There are plenty of good ones out there, new and used.

Yep, that's what I'd do. If it's an otherwise good instrument, changing pickups, and getting the right strings would get you a lot farther musically. Not that there's anything wrong with a whammy; just keep in mind that Floyds require more maintenance than fixed bridges, esp. if you yank the trem a lot.

I think that strings for black metal are a good deal heavier than usual. I'm not sure where I read it, but the guitarists for Mayhem use some heavy gauge strings, something like... .013-.056. And that's with the guitars tuned to standard.

Thanny, didn't you mention before that this seven is your only guitar? In that case, leaving the bridge fixed will allow you to experiment with different tunings, something that's difficult to do with a trem-equipped guitar.

All pretty sound advice. I bought the thing for fifty. there is no way I can sell it for enough to get an ebony fingerboarded floyd rose equipped guitar for what i could sell mine. I'm going to upgrade it all myself, it will only run about 300-maybe 400 hundred and I can do it a bit at a time.

Thanks Explorer, that sounds sweet. And i'll definately look into the afterburner. Maybe coil tap on the front bucker and replace the tap on the second pickup with that.

As for string gage and tuning, I'm trying to find thirteens. I like standard tuning, and all dropped one step. I am ok with just dropping the d. I stay in the same tunng alot. As for tension issuse with that kind of string, i bend my low b bass string halfway across the board, and it is 130. 13 won't be a problem even in standard.

her.-ButcherNburn

When I mentioned the .013-.056 gauge before... that's for a six string.

If this were applied to the typical seven string, the lowest string should be at least a .070. Just keep that in mind, as you might need to enlarge (with a drill) the hole for the lowest string, from the tuner's post.

Archived