Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who is your guitar hero ? Steve Vai

chenhope

I am Timmy,And i hear from all the other guitar players on this forum or other forums, but who are your guitar heroes? I'm 28 and i have played guitar almost 10 years. When I was first learning, it was Mark Knopfler, Joe Satriani and

Eddie Van Halen who really inspired me. And now i like steve vai very much,How about you,who is your guitar hero ?

Guitarist site: www.chenhope.com.

Guitar website

honest_shoes_shop@hotmail.com

http://www.tupianguanjia.com/bin/390/Guitar%20Forum/Steve%20Vai.jpg

I am a guitar man.I like music very much.and i have almost 20 guitars or more in my collection,i hope i could share music and guitars with my friend.

This is my MSN/E-mail address: honest_shoes_shop@hotmail.com. AOL ID: seasonstrade .

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.slasherama.com/images/features/dime.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/headbang.gifhttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/headbang.gifhttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/headbang.gifhttp://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g30/scmcfaul/headbang.gif

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Allan Holdsworth is as close as anyone for me-but even if I could (I can`t), I don`t want to play like my heroes-more like, I hope to contribute as much originality and inspiration as they have.

Anyway I like Steve V. too, sometimes his `Looney Toon` side gets on my nerves but generally he`s great-I met T.M. Stevens at a music fair a few years ago, tried to ask him about working with Steve but he`s one of those guys who talks in New Age spacetalk a lot. He was sure he had seen me before, that was weird.

Oh, and welcome.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I have SOO many heros. I remember being HUGE into Vai during Flexible, Dave Lee Roth, and Passion & Warfare era. Eric Johnson too (he was big then also).

Vai really does have incredible tone in his hands. I was amazed at how little distortion he would use when playing with Roth, but thats why he sounded so clear and perfect on everything. The perfection is in his hands and more distortion just buries that.

I love a bunch of players. Lately I love Don Felder. He is like an American Gilmour or something--incredible vibrato and tone. I love EVH, Joe Walsh, Albert Lee, Doyle Dykes, Junior Brown, Ty Tabor, Jimmy Page, Vai, Holdsworth, Jerry Donahue, Chet Atkins, Leo Kottke... Just to name the ones off the top of my head.

John Petrucci is definitely a current favorite. I love his sound, versatility and he's just plain epic. He finds a great balance between power, speed and melody. Other favorites are Jimi Hendrix (obviously), Joe Satriani (same reasons as John Petrucci) and Eric Johnson (sometimes more than others). Steve Vai is good, but somtimes he trades speed for melody and that's when he gets annoying rather than tasteful. I think Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold is the most tasteful metal-lead guitarist around. Jimmy Page is also a personal favorite.

On the acoustic front, I love Kaki King and Trace Bundy (The "acoustic guitar ninja"). There's also some classical players (Paco de Lucia etc.) that I really should pay more attention to...

And chenhope, I'd stop advertising your retail site with every post if you want people to take you seriously here. Many consider this spam. If you want to advertise anything, do it in the designated "sticky" areas.

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Ry Cooder, Leo Kottke. Maybe Mark Ribot.

When I saw Steve Vai last year, he completely spun me out. But in the end I didn't really get a lot out of the experience.

Somehow or other, he was just too good or too full on or too something.

It's like when somebody discusses outer space and you sit there trying to get your head around some of the distances and concepts. In other words, it was mind expanding, but I'd rather just look at a sunset.

Originally posted by AeroG33k:

And chenhope, I'd stop advertising your retail site with every post if you want people to take you seriously here. Many consider this spam. If you want to advertise anything, do it in the designated "sticky" areas.

Well, if that's the case, then I've been spamming the forum for the last 3 months, because my g/f's affiliate site is listed in my sigline. :rolleyes:

Chen: I suggest you edit your profile and put your site in your signature, like others here with commercial sites do. If you'd like some assistance with this, drop me a PM.

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

There are bunches, but Phil Keaggy ranks near the top.

My god Justis....That was one of the greatest clips I've seen in a long time... THANKYOU!!!

I've never seen PK play before and the camera work, let alone his finger work, was amazing!!!

This goes in my "Youtube" file.

I don't have any guitar heroes I try to copy exactly. The ones that come to mind vary from day to day.

Today's guitar heroes are Mark Knopfler, Chet Atkins & Roger McGuinn. I think this is because I would like to be able to play fingerstyle but I don't have the patience (or time :rolleyes: )to get to where I feel competent at it.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by King Kamehameha:

...Vai is one of 'em for sure. Man, he has so much soul...

Please don't take this personally, Maisie, but that sounds so strange to me. I love a lot of Vai's playing, and he's definitely equal parts serious scholar and play for the pure enjoyment kinda guy, but soul... he just doesn't fit that description in my book. He's commented on it in the past, himself. He's said he's the world's worst blues player. Now while I doubt that's the case, I know what he means. His feel is not that of a Stevie Ray Vaughn or Mark Knopfler, both of whom I would say are soulful players. There's one exception I can think of. The middle part of Sisters is incredibly soulful. But it's the exception to the rule, IMO.

I'm not explaining myself with much clarity, but I know a song that might help show the differences. Find Triumph's Little Boy Blues. It's the last song on the album Thunder Seven. Rik Emmett switches between an edgy, jazzy-bluesy timbre and playing and a high gain, rocking sound and style. You can even hear that he's changed p'ups when he switches from one sound to the other. The low gain sound is played with immense soul. The high gain sound reminds me of Vai in some ways. Interesting playing but not much soul.

Like some others I have lots of players I'd consider guitar gods, some for technical ability, some for soul. One who espouses both in great amounts who I've only recently discovered is Tommy Emmanuel. The man is simply amazing. In a similar vein I'd have to add Doyle Dykes.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Steve Vai was a big inspiration to me. He's a great teacher too, check the lessons on his website. I know Steve doesn't fit the normal definitions of a 'soulful' guitarist but in his own way his playing is very expressive and emotional.

My favourites:

BB King, Jimi Hendrix, John McLaughlin, Mike Stern, Ryo Yamashita (a friend), Tommy Boiln, the guy from Slave (Drac is back!), most of the Funkadelic guys especially Eddie Hazel, Vernon Reid, Carlos Santana, Buckethead, Wah Wah Watson, Sonny Sharrock (check him out!!!), Jimmy Page, Scotty Moore, Albert Collins, Bert Jansch, Albert King, Freddie King . . . somebody stop me!

I guess some people think that only bluesy players can be "soulful".

Vai is a great player. Not necessarily one of my favorites, but... that doesn't change the fact he's great player. There's a lot of hype around him, and that whole "guru" image he's given himself is a bit overblown.

I don't have a guitar hero, I have many favorites, including classical players, non-virtuosic singer-songwriters/rock players/jazz and fusion guys. Most of them I find soulful in their own unique way.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by MILLO:

Vai is a great player. Not necessarily one of my favorites, but... that doesn't change the fact he's great player. There's a lot of hype around him, and that whole "guru" image he's given himself is a bit overblown.

He DOES play around and joke with it though.

When I saw him play, he was standing on some industrial fans which billowed his hair out like he was in some sort of shampoo commercial. I mean, the man has a sense of irony.

Yeah, I noticed him do the fan thing too...

This is the same guy who had his blood mixed in the paint of a limited production series guitar...

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Fantastic, to each his own dude but I think Vai has incredible feel and dynamics. Soul is more determined by the music for me. He has his soulful playing. I love his playing on The Animal. For the Love of God has a killer solo that sounds pretty heart felt. I hear he doesn't really improvise live. He knows what he is going to do. Thats what FunkJazz told me.

The thing is in the 80's I was into shredding, and what set him apart from the rest was his HUGE tone in his hands. I mean he doesn't hide behind an unbelievable amount of gain all the time. Like you remember that song 'Yankee Rose' Roth's first release? He doesn't sound very distorted at all until the end solo where he is probably using the pedal.

Hard to compare his style to SRV. I mean feel wise I think it is hard to copy either one of them. They both have complete control at all times.

I don't really listen to his stuff lately, just from 18 years ago. Like I posted, what impressed me most about him is his ability to play PERFECTLY through a low gain tone with tons of thump. Kind of like Eddie Van Halen thump but more precise.

I don't think he is an originater like Hendrix or VH but he is definately a master of what he wants to do.

Phil Keagy is a BADASS. WOW

Its kinda wierd... Ive been thinking about this thread... and I dont know if I have one... how wierd is that... I have alot of guitarists that I will aspire to be better than (whether it comes to fruition or not).. but none I would call a hero... its kinda odd.. Ive never noticed..

Originally posted by MILLO:

I guess some people think that only bluesy players can be "soulful".

I was just going to comment that a lot of people seem to think Soul=Blues feel.

I could just as easily say that players like BB King have a unique vibrato, but their playing lacks any harmonic complexity to be interesting.

For others, that's not important and concentrate on the delivery.

I think guys like Vai (and even Yngwie to a degree) have their own Soul which is different.

The most important thing is to have a unique voice...and both Yngwie and BB King fit that description.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Indeed - Soul is a rather vague term that folks use to describe all sorts of things.

To me, a guitarist has soul when he can reach out and touch you emotionally with his playing. When I am moved on a primal level by a guitar solo, that solo had soul.

This in and of itself makes for a very subjective definition, but it's also the most fair use of the term. If you hate heavy metal, then no heavy metal guitarist will ever move you like that. If you hate country, same thing. Genre bias does not negate the existence of soul.

my take on Vai is:

sometimes soul is expressed in the composition and not by the faces they make, or the amount of vibrato.

Steve knows what he is going to play because he writes compositions, that are to convey a certain feeling.

i wouldn't say he is lacking any soul or feeling.

i think of him as a composer who can somehow make his fingers do what his head and heart want.

are composers souless?

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by King Kamehameha:

...Vai is one of 'em for sure. Man, he has so much soul...

Please don't take this personally, Maisie, but that sounds so strange to me. I love a lot of Vai's playing, and he's definitely equal parts serious scholar and play for the pure enjoyment kinda guy, but soul... he just doesn't fit that description in my book. He's commented on it in the past, himself. He's said he's the world's worst blues player. Now while I doubt that's the case, I know what he means. His feel is not that of a Stevie Ray Vaughn or Mark Knopfler, both of whom I would say are soulful players. There's one exception I can think of. The middle part of Sisters is incredibly soulful. But it's the exception to the rule, IMO.

I'm not explaining myself with much clarity, but I know a song that might help show the differences. Find Triumph's Little Boy Blues. It's the last song on the album Thunder Seven. Rik Emmett switches between an edgy, jazzy-bluesy timbre and playing and a high gain, rocking sound and style. You can even hear that he's changed p'ups when he switches from one sound to the other. The low gain sound is played with immense soul. The high gain sound reminds me of Vai in some ways. Interesting playing but not much soul.

Like some others I have lots of players I'd consider guitar gods, some for technical ability, some for soul. One who espouses both in great amounts who I've only recently discovered is Tommy Emmanuel. The man is simply amazing. In a similar vein I'd have to add Doyle Dykes.

Maybe not soul in the traditional sense. I think the definition of soul is what's going on way inside him, and he has enough knowledge on his instrument, insane concentration, a spiritual mindset, and SCARY technical ability, which, put together, allow him to freely express that. You understand what I'm talking about cause you see it in the middle part of Sisters (a very special song for me!).

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Hes a badass no doubt. I remember I saw Crossroads when I was 16 and I was blown away at how perfect his doubling was. Beyond that his tone was incredible in his hands. Unlike anyone else. He borrowed from his peers, but don't we all--if we are smart enough and think tons, me I am kind of a dummy.

As for Yngwie, he did what he did for rock guitar, which was alot or a little depending on who is deciding. Personally he influenced me alot early on because NOBODY in rock had gone that sick before on guitar. I mean Eddie, but he is on another level cuz he was in a cool band (liked the rising force album when I was 17 with Joe Lynn Turner). I wouldn't knock Yngwie. He has alot of cheese, but he came out at the perfect cheezy time and when I heard him I couldn't believe it.

What a technique role model for someone starting out. I mean in the 70's I bet it was Mcglaughlin and Dimeola. I learned alot of stuff from Yngwie. I am sure some of you players who were my age then were blown away by Yngwie's speed and overall perfection.

Now I just think (I mean don't think) about my playing.

Archived