Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Robert Fripp Does Microsoft

jbote

Don't know if anybody else has heard about this, but apparently Robert Fripp has been working with the folks at Microsoft on the start up music for the new operating system, Vista. Here's a link to an article all about it:

Robert Fripp on Vista

For those of you with Windows, something to look forward to when you upgrade. Since I'm on a Mac I'll have to settle on playing "In the Court of the Crimson King" on occasion.

John

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First thing I do after any OS install...

...is turn off the sounds!

That is absolutely one of the most annoying things of any operating system!

And even though I like FrippVista will be treated no differently (though Ill have to hear his stuff at least once).

Why the developers think we all need to hear some kind of blip, blam, boink any time we click...

...is a mystery to me.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by miroslav:

And even though I like FrippVista will be treated no differently (though Ill have to hear his stuff at least once).

Why the developers think we all need to hear some kind of blip, blam, boink any time we click...

...is a mystery to me.

I think it's supposed to play during the install. During XP, wasn't there some sort of 'New Age' smooth-jazz type stuff playing? I also tire of hearing a noise every time I minimize something after the first two clicks :mad:

Originally posted by miroslav:

...is a mystery to me.

You can configure it to create any sounds you want. For example, on my old system, I had some choice R. Lee Ermey clips from "Full Metal Jacket".

I add my own sounds. For example, when I have Outlook open, and receive an e mail, it plays a sound clip from Monty Python and The Holy Grail...it's the scene where King Arthur's "associate" gets an arrow to his chest...you hear the sound of a wood arrow striking something, and then he says "Message for you, Sir!"

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by Mr. Hardtail:

You can configure it to create any sounds you want.

Yes...I know that...but I still don't care to have ANY sounds playing the same things over and over whenever I execute specific keystrokes/commands.

THAT...is quite annoying after you hear it a few times, regardless of what the sound is.

My co-worker has this "Oh-oh" sound that plays every time he gets new mail...and boy, it drove me nuts until I learned to tune it out.

I've seen people with various sounds that play on almost EVERY mouse click!

I just couldn't listen to that all day long.

No matter how cool the sound/music is...it's that repetition that kills its appeal rather quickly for me.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by mdrs:

I add my own sounds. For example, when I have Outlook open, and receive an e mail, it plays a sound clip from Monty Python and The Holy Grail...it's the scene where King Arthur's "associate" gets an arrow to his chest...you hear the sound of a wood arrow striking something, and then he says "Message for you, Sir!"

Hahaha that's actually really clever.
Lyrics-wasted time between solos.

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Well, the "Drrrrrrrmmmm... pling... pling... pling..." .wav that comes on by default when you boot up a Windows PC was actually written by Brian Eno.

I was going to ask about that, I've heard/read that he was paid one million pounds for the start up sound, of the mac though. I do think it interesting that these two are both now involved in OS start up jingles (regardless of OS), give MS a little bit more credibility in my view now (just a little bit!).
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

Originally posted by mdrs:

I have sound turned off at work, don't want to be browsing some web site that has musical ads and have that relayed to my other co-workers. Home email, that's another story, usually when we hear the new email sound it signals a quick soiree by one of us (usually my wife) to the mac to see what ccame in (usually junk/spam). I would fut around with sounds for my (music) pc but given the pitiful amount of time I have to devote to it these days (being a father does come first, also an almost 3 year old isn't quite into the nuances of hard disk recording quite yet) I have to pass up on it.
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

Archived