Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Agile guitars?

emailsack

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with Agile guitars? Specifically, the "high-end" models such as an AL3000 series? They're supposedly very high quality in terms of materials and workmanship, but I wanted to inquire of this esteemed body before pursuing any further. Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I play my Agile AL-2000 almost every night... Black w/Gold hardware, stock everything and plays maybe 80% of what my TRUE Gibson Les Paul did back in the 80's... I had 2 Les Pauls and a few other Gibsons (Flyin' V and an old SG) back then and I swear these Agiles feel and PLAY almost as good as my Gibsons did... I want a 3000 next but my 2000 sounds and plays very nice ;)
"well fellas... there's 1 other thing yer gonna need to make it in Rock & Roll besides all them guitars and amps and drums and things. They call it A SONG..."

I had one of the middle of the line model LP copies, and it was a pretty sweet guitar. I'd compare them favorably with most of the offshore-made stuff, Epiphone especially. They are not meant to compete with an American made Gibson, and do not compare very favorably with them, but Gibsons also cost about ten times as much as an Agile, too. Finishes on the ones I have seen are pretty slick, the hardware's not bad for the price, and they sound and play pretty darn good.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Hotter pickups than my Schector PT Blackjack with a '59/JB setup.

The 3000 with ebony board looked pretty flawless. Might have nickel covers on the pickups. Its being set up right now so and the tech pointed that part out because of their yellowish tint vs the blue tint of the bridge. I'll let you know what he says when I get it back.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by Picker:

I had one of the middle of the line model LP copies, and it was a pretty sweet guitar. I'd compare them favorably with most of the offshore-made stuff, Epiphone especially. They are not meant to compete with an American made Gibson, and do not compare very favorably with them, but Gibsons also cost about ten times as much as an Agile, too. Finishes on the ones I have seen are pretty slick, the hardware's not bad for the price, and they sound and play pretty darn good.

Bravo BRAVO!! 99% as good? Humans share 99% the same DNA with a chimpanzee. I think an Agile is as close to a Gibson as a chimp is to a human. Don't you Elwood?
A.K.A. TRGuitar

Originally posted by trguitar:

Bravo BRAVO!! 99% as good? Humans share 99% the same DNA with a chimpanzee. I think an Agile is as close to a Gibson as a chimp is to a human. Don't you Elwood?
Hah! :D Let the flames begin! :rolleyes:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

You know what! I can't say..I'm inclined to agree but I have never played a Agile and there is a pretty good chance I never will, I know allot of guys like them though.

I like my agile Valkyrie, and it think it's good ... about as good as the Epiphone G-400, which goes for a $150 or so more. It's an acceptable backup, and if I want something in alternative tuning handy it fills the role nicely as well.

I'd seriously consider buying another Agile, but the Valkyrie was my last inexpensive guitar.

My philosophy in buying guitars right now is that I might as well aim at the top of the line. Obviously I'll be shelling out more, but I figure if I get something that's a joy to play for the next 20 years, I'm getting great value for money, even if I pay $2,000 or $3,000.

I think an Agile is as close to a Gibson as a chimp is to a human.

Obviously...you are mostly buying into the Gibson name.

Sure...there are some high-end Gibsons (and other brands) that are noticeably more "custom" built than your typical Agile.

But then...Agile was never trying to compete with them.

Otherwise...I'll put up some of the upper end Agiles ($350-$550)...against most ANY Gibson/Epi in that same range...or even some that go up to $1200....especially when you compare the quality of the wood/finish/construction...

...though I haven't found anything really wrong with the Agile hardware/electronics either.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by miroslav:

I think an Agile is as close to a Gibson as a chimp is to a human.

Obviously...you are mostly buying into the Gibson name.

Sure...there are some high-end Gibsons (and other brands) that are noticeably more "custom" built than your typical Agile.

But then...Agile was never trying to compete with them.

Otherwise...I'll put up some of the upper end Agiles ($350-$550)...against most ANY Gibson/Epi in that same range...or even some that go up to $1200....especially when you compare the quality of the wood/finish/construction...

...though I haven't found anything really wrong with the Agile hardware/electronics either.

I was speaking tounge in cheek. You echo my sentiments exactly Miroslav. ;) In another post I was chided for suggesting an Agile was 99% as good as a Gibson. I was just having fun with the definition of 99%. Kind of like Bill Clinton and his definition of sex.
A.K.A. TRGuitar

Originally posted by ellwood:

You know what! I can't say..I'm inclined to agree but I have never played a Agile and there is a pretty good chance I never will, I know allot of guys like them though.

I may get a cheap one for my place in Florida but other than that, I probably wouldn't really play one either.

I got an Agile LP copy for $150 used, & at that price it's definitely a very good deal. However, I end up not really playing it much because there are a lot of better guitars in my collection. For about twice the money, but still what I consider an inexpensive guitar, the PRS SE is a vastly better axe than the Agile & that's the one I'm taking to gigs these days.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I was speaking tounge in cheek.

Well the !#$@ is it doing there! :mad:;)

I thought it was another dig at anything without the Gibson/Fender name on it...

Of the 4 Agiles I have...I get the most play out of the DC w/P90 PUs.

I swapped out the neck PU of the Agile standard LP copy that I have, and stuck a DiMarzio SD in there (since I had a pair of them lying around).

When I want that SD crunch sound...I'll go for that Agile.

I'm still waiting on the revamp of the Agile Harm 1 (I was told it will happen by the holidays)...

...in which case I will grab at least one of those.

I think the Harm 1 body is REALLY sweet....and fairly unique...though it does have a bit of the Rickenbacker look to it.

If they come out with the Harm 1 with the mini buckers and with fret markers on the neck...that could end up being my new favorite guitar.

While I like the Agile line...I do have others in my lineup.

I'm also quite partial to the Artcore AG85...VERY nice look, tone and playability...and not too pricey.

For special occasionsIll go for my vintage Hagstrom Swedeit has its own unique tone that is not matched by anything else I have.

And there is always my Fender 52 Reissue Tele when I want that..Fender Tele sound! :

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Archived