Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epiphone Les Paul - EMG's?

emailsack

Apologies if this has been discussed previously... I did a search and couldn't find the answer I was looking for. At any rate, my question is about whether EMG-81/85's installed in an Epiphone Les Paul Custom will still pickup the resonance/qualities of the wood? I know that Epiphone uses multiple layers of wood in the body construction (and not all that great as I understand it) and thus the natural sound isn't that great. However, with EMG's being active, the thought is that they may impose their own tone and supercede the bad qualities of the body. Any thoughts, insights, etc... greatly appreciated!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the multiple layers go...I don't think that's the case, at least not with the medium/higher end epiphones. They have a maple top on a mahogany body, which is a great combination, just like on a real Gibson Les Paul...except that the epiphone tops are more like a veneer, whereas Gibson uses a thicker maple top.

Still, I don't think there's anything wrong with the woods of an epi LP.

However, you are right that active pickups tend to compress the dynamics more and the wood will have a much lesser impact on the overall tone. The pickups themselves have a very low impedence before the signal gets amplified in the internal preamp, so while a weak pickup signal gets a boost, the natural qualities of the wood (but also the noise) become less significant (and this is why most people I know here claim they sound sterile with no dynamics. "Friends don't let friends put batteries in their guitars!"). For my style I wouldn't go with active pickups unless for studio purposes with effect modelers, where a clean, generic signal can be of benefit.

I think this is how it goes anyway, but someone's quite likely to correct me. :)

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Thanks for your response! I really appreciate it. I had read from Epiphone that they use a combination of Alder and Mahogany in layers to make up the body/back of the guitar, with varying tops and veneers, so that's where that was coming from.

As for the rest of the information you provided, thanks again! very helpful!

I just checked epiphone, you seem to be right about the layers. weird...

Are you buying a new instrument or thinking about putting the EMG's on an old one?

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Originally posted by AeroG33k:

I just checked epiphone, you seem to be right about the layers. weird...

Are you buying a new instrument or thinking about putting the EMG's on an old one?

If you are looking at buying a new instrument and you are considering replcing pick-ups right off the bat, you are probably looking at the wrong instrument. The Agile LP style guitars at Rondo Music might be a better option for you in this price range. The AL 3000 series are really nice guitars that sell for $369 and less.

If you already have an Epi, replacing pick-ups is a good way to improve your tone if you are not happy with the way the guitar sounds.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

This is an Epi I'm considering buying that already had EMG's loaded in it. I just sold an Epi LP precisely because even after adding Seymour Duncans it was still not cutting it for me sound-wise. That, and it had a very bad problem with feedback.

Oddly enough, I'd posted another topic/question regarding the Agile guitars. Thanks for the tip... I'll check them out further.

Archived