Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joe Walsh 30 years ago

Rampdog

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early Joe W.....most excellent. What great control of that 335 he had. And, I've always loved his voice.

I saw him live in about 1970, when he was in James Gang.

He's on it, in a big way!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by mdrs:

Early Joe W.....most excellent. What great control of that 335 he had. And, I've always loved his voice.

I saw him live in about 1970, when he was in James Gang.

He's on it, in a big way!

The James Gang had a reunion tour and played Long Island last August but I had plans elsewhere.

Hope they do it again.

Me too, HT!!

I saw them at a music festival at Roosevelt Raceway, on Long Island. Other acts playing that day included Chuck Berry, James Brown, Commander Cody and The Lost Planet Airmen.

Good Old Days!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

+100 virtual points if you can ID the backup band ;)

It's Jake and Ellwood's band, right?
Yep, we have a winnah!!!!, AKA Booker T and the MGs, Booker T, Donald Duck Dunn, Steve Cropper etc
Can you name anyone who doesn't love Joe Walsh???

Here's the classic Green Onions from Booker T and the MGs featuring Steve Cropper. This song was SO influential to me as a little kid! Cool guitar and great organ - no vocals!

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

k, i like a couple eagles songs, most of the popular ones that they didnt write like peaceful easy feeling, but that turn to stone song rocks so much. WHat scale is he going off of, just pentatonic? Im really lost when it comes to scales. But i like the way that sounds.

...edit....

k is this joe walsh solo stuff and is there more similar to it, i see its on his barnstorm album, anything else on there as good as this?

sorry i dont know much of his solo stuff outside of whats on the radio

ryan

Originally posted by Gifthorse:

I am surprised none of you have commented on Don Felder's solo on this song. It is great.

He is one of my favs. I think Felder is like an American Gilmour or something. Super tasty and identifiable.

Yep.

Joe stays rooted and solid thoughout and Felder blends in perfectly and occasionally bends it up at the edges in his tell tale style.

Very well done.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Gifthorse:

I am surprised none of you have commented on Don Felder's solo on this song. It is great.

He is one of my favs. I think Felder is like an American Gilmour or something. Super tasty and identifiable.

Allow me to comment...

"Wow"....!!! I could say more but the notes say it all... :thu:

The immediate hurdle is having listened to the original to the point at which it's burned into your memory. That pretty much diminishes the "uniqueness" of it for me. It's a slightly different take on a basic theme because Don obviously heard the original many times as well as indicated by his contribution.

The build is common in many of Joe's works and you need only listen to Barnstorm & Smoker to realize this.

Days Gone By is likely one of my most favorite songs because of the way the flute and guitar do much the same thing. Extreamely powerful and moving work.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

can someone please tell me what scale that song is based off of, or does that not make any sense?
That's a D pentatonic

The intro is Dm C B B C Dm then it goes to an F to Dm , etc. Then there's an F G Dm phrase at the end of the verse (or is it the chorus?).

Start with a 1st position pentatonic box with your index finger in the tenth fret just like he did. :thu:

Then there's a key change in the middle (I didn't figure that out)

Joe has a bunch of kickin' tunes, and I only know the hits; Walk Away when he was with the James Gang, Rocky Mountain Way, Life's Been Good, not to mention tons of Eagles stuff.

Rock on!

"I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes." - Jimi Hendrix

Thanks man, i kinda figured it out the intro and was playing a d pent over it, but thanks for laying out the rest i appreciate it. The thing that sucks though is when i noodle around in the pentatonic it never sounds very rockish. Guess thats somethin i just gotta keep at....

thanks again

ryan

Archived