Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

That solo still gives me goose skin...

alfonso

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Classic stuff! :cry: Back when guitars ruled the airwaves and AMERICAN guitars sold for less than Asian ones do now. BTW, I didn't even recognize Henley until he started singing! :D
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Great great stuff. There's no way to get tired of that song. The intro riff was the first riff I ever learned. I remember going to some guitar shops looking for a capo and I thought it was pronounced cap o like in baseball cap. :D

Anyway, I can never hear that song without reaching for the volume control and turning it up.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I don't how much my perception of the lead playing on this tune is colored by nostalgia, but man the soloing - especially on the studio version - is just so masterful, inspired and heartfelt.

I knew what solo you must be talking about before I clicked on the topic. :D

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Sweet. Is there anybody who has better guitar face than Joe Walsh? I THINK NOT! You guys will ask what rock old Lefty's been under, but who's the hippie with the sweet double neck? You'll tell me his name and I'll say "oh yeaaaaa". Thanks for the vid link.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

Yeah, that's one of the greats. Like Layla, the acoustic version is nice, but doesn't really compare with the original and would never have put it where it's been on the charts.

This is also one of the best and worst covered tunes (by local bands). What a range! ;)

Back when guitars ruled the airwaves and AMERICAN guitars sold for less than Asian ones do now.
Only in unadjusted dollars, which isn't very meaningful. Decent guitars have never been cheaper than they are now in terms of dollars adjusted for inflation, or even hours of (American) labor required to purchase them.

Guitar players should be really happy about the price/quality ratio of electric guitars today. Thanks to improvements in manufacturing methods and cheap Asian labor. The main thing that hasn't gotten better is available woods.

I do remember that in 1975 there was an excellent Epiphone copy of that SG doubleneck (used for $250, with OHSC) that I wanted but let go, and always regretted. Well, just didn't have the bux. I suppose I could have sold some of those textbooks I was supposed to be studying ...

Originally posted by learjeff:

...Only in unadjusted dollars, which isn't very meaningful. Decent guitars have never been cheaper than they are now in terms of dollars adjusted for inflation, or even hours of (American) labor required to purchase them.

Guitar players should be really happy about the price/quality ratio of electric guitars today. Thanks to improvements in manufacturing methods and cheap Asian labor...

Amen to that. I am amazed at the quality of inexpensive guitars that are available under nameplates like Agile & Jay Turser, not to mention Squier and Epiphone. There's absolutely no reason for a kid starting to learn guitar not to have an easy playing, nice sounding good looking, reliable instrument. I remember how crappy the affordable "beginner" guitars were in the seventies. The exception to that rule was Ibanez, but even they were a bit more expensive to get a nice one.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Archived