Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FrankenStrat Project. Suggestions?

AeroG33k

So I just took a peak under the pickguard of my rondo sx P90 strat. First off, the routing seems a bit sloppy and there is LOTS of room around the p90 pickups. Is that normal? The neck pocket is actually quite tight...except for the corners, where the routing was more square, when the neck corners were a little more rounded. I also saw that the body is already routed for a middle single coil pickup, probably since they just adopted a regular strat-style body for two P90's. Initially I was thinking about putting a third P90 in the middle position with a 5-way switch...or rather move the bridge P90 to the middle and put a seymour duncan overwound P90 in the bridge.

But now that it's already routed for a single coil, should I just get a nice strat PU to go between the fat P90's? It might yield some cool sound combinations and save some routing... What should I do?

Also, I don't use the tremolo much, but when I do, I really miss the ability to "up" bend. It's a 6-screw vintage trem, but I'd consider going for a modern wilkinson with locking tuners. I would NOT put a floyd on a strat though. So has anyone ever routed a cavity under a vintage trem or wilkinson trem to allow for more "up" bending? I've never heard of anyone do it, but I don't see why not...

Any other suggestions for pickups or other mods?

Thanks! :)

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by AeroG33k:

...Also, I don't use the tremolo much, but when I do, I really miss the ability to "up" bend...

I believe it is possible to "float" a vintage Fender-style strat bridge so you can so a slight up-bend (definitely nothing extreme). There is probably some info on the net to DIY if you want to try googling it.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

The tremolo is slightly floating as it is, but I really like the look of a tremolo that's flush with the body, and right now it doesn't allow me to go quite far with the up-bends. I don't plan to do dive-bombs, but a little more action would be nice.

It's a cheap guitar, so I'm not worried about with, but it seems odd to me that nobody seems to have a cavity other than on floyd-type locking trems.

Also, since I'll upgrade to a 5-way switch and the three way switch is located where the first tone control usually is, it'll free up that spot for another pot. I don't really see a point in two tone controls, does anyone see a good use for an extra pot?

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

I think I decided I want a single coil to take the spot between the P90's. Something warmer and with less output (Alnico II), so I can have smooter strat sounds to balance the biting P90 tone when I want...and it's already routed for one. I'm thinking Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro right now, but I'm open to suggestions!

Does anyone know something about wiring options for such a configuration? I'm thinking a master tone control and one volume for both p90's and another volume for the middle pickup. is that's feasible?

-Andy

Archived