Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Tao of Esteban

Tone Taster

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I'd put him in the category of a John Tesh: easy-listening music without harmonic or rhythmic complexity," says Eric Bart, a local jazz guitarist. "And something that's very, very heavily marketed."

Interpretted:

"He sucks almost as bad as John Tesh, and since his music is so cheesy we have to market it to middle-aged, middle class women on HSN."

;)

Well, I don't have any animosity towards him... if he can be successful, more power to him.

Not that I have heard anything to inspire me to pick up his CDs!

Re: using the name Segovia in a cheesy way - at any rate, real classical guitarists are hardly likely to be taken in by that nonsense.

If I remember correctly, Julian Bream, John Williams and Christopher Parkening all had some instruction from Segovia, and Parkening was even a protege to a degree; but none of them would have had a career if they couldn't play well on their own!

But Esteban isn't hurting anyone's career, really, is he? Or John Tesh, or Kenny G... it's just not stuff that MUSICIANS are interested in!

Are am I being naive about it?

The trouble is, my neighbor bought one of his "guitar" packages that seemed like a great deal to him. It is absolute crap, neck totally bowed coming unglued, on and on. If he actually endorsed something that was a good starting package it would be different to me, as it is, he is nothing more than a rip off from what I have seen.

Once I thought I saw you, in a crowded, hazy, bar........

Originally posted by BriBaby:

The trouble is, my neighbor bought one of his "guitar" packages that seemed like a great deal to him. It is absolute crap, neck totally bowed coming unglued, on and on. If he actually endorsed something that was a good starting package it would be different to me, as it is, he is nothing more than a rip off from what I have seen.

I think it's great that he's made himself popular and he is a good player. The problem I have is that he insists over and over that you can't get a better guitar than his for the price. Never seen one, but the reports I hear are that it stinks.

Apart from the music, if his guitar packages are pure garbage, then it's hard for me to respect him, too.

Of course, people who want something for nothing (or very cheap!) are just asking to get screwed.... but there are lots of naive kids out there who haven't learned that yet!

He does seem a bit cheesy but I have to admire him. I like to hear someone have succes while bypassing the traditional music business establishment. It sounds like he has overcome alot of adversity. Anyone that lost feeling in their fingers yet perservered and kept playing is a true guitarist. Playing hotel gigs to support his family, how can that be bad.

I still haven't heard him play more than a phrase or two, it would be nice to hear a full song to be able to make a better judgement or his music. I doubt the guitars that he sells are any good, but neither were the first few I had. It is kind of sad that he goes for the Segovia endorsement thing and some other suspicious marketing. But overall he seems like a good old fashioned businessman and someone who loves the guitar. There is a bit of jealosy in people who see his succes and talk bad about him.

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

Apart from the music, if his guitar packages are pure garbage, then it's hard for me to respect him, too.

Of course, people who want something for nothing (or very cheap!) are just asking to get screwed.... but there are lots of naive kids out there who haven't learned that yet!

Problem is, his guitars are every bit as expensive as a decent Fender starter kit, and nowhere near as well-built.

Archived