Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

favorite metal bands

fatwannabejock

so who is your favorite metal band? there are so many types of metal, this can include them all. anything from black sabbath to dying fetus. also, what do you think about metal bands that do no singing, just all screams and growls. and detune or not detune?
turn the gain up

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i like more harmonic content than the drop tuners deliver.

i like more singing than growling.

so i will go on record with my faves being:

Megadeth (he is sneering not growling)

Judas priest

for me to enjoy an album it has to change things up a little, so if a band only does growling and keeps all the songs at the same tempo and key i tend to not like it.

i also don't get into the "i am so scary and evil" look.

it seems kind of dorky to me.

i am sort of old school that way.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

Really? So John Petrucci doesn't do it for you in the harmonic department, Zan? :eek:

(just bustin' yer chops...)

Me, I'm a bit of an old-schooler myself. Maiden, Anthrax, early (And Justice and earlier) Metallica - these are my faves.

However, I do love Dream Theater, and Sonata Arctica, and some of the other more recent prog-metal acts.

Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned bark/scream fest, but it gets old quick when the entire album is nothing but. I grew up listening to the earliest incarnations of thrash metal, stuff like Nuclear Assault, Napalm Death, King Diamond, The Accused - speed metal with barking and screeching and growling - and I got bored with it pretty fast. I like my metal to have a good bit of melodic sense, with intelligible lyric and intelligible riffing.

I definitely prefer some singing with my metal but am not opposed to some growls and screams mixed in. It doesn't matter to me whether or not the guitars are detuned as long as the playing is interesting.

It's hard nowadays to classify what is metal but, depending on my mood, I enjoy:

Opeth

Evergrey

Iced Earth

Staind

System of a Down

Classic Metallica

The more melodic side of Pantera

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Really? So John Petrucci doesn't do it for you in the harmonic department, Zan? :eek:

(just bustin' yer chops...)

Me, I'm a bit of an old-schooler myself. Maiden, Anthrax, early (And Justice and earlier) Metallica - these are my faves.

However, I do love Dream Theater, and Sonata Arctica, and some of the other more recent prog-metal acts.

Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned bark/scream fest, but it gets old quick when the entire album is nothing but. I grew up listening to the earliest incarnations of thrash metal, stuff like Nuclear Assault, Napalm Death, King Diamond, The Accused - speed metal with barking and screeching and growling - and I got bored with it pretty fast. I like my metal to have a good bit of melodic sense, with intelligible lyric and intelligible riffing.

Dream Theater for sure, but you have to admit there is no shortage of melody and harmonic content there.

not knocking drop tuners, but there is a strong trend to use it just to be heavy and ignore the top strings.

i want some icing on top of my metal. :D

SOAD is cool, interesting rythyms.

i also dig Nightwish.

i forgot one of my faves from the past, Accept!

"Balls to the wall" is IMHO one of the best solid metal albums of all time.

if you check out thier early stuff you will discover they were trailblazers.

"fast as a shark" was the blueprint of things to come in meatl.

that would be METAL not meatl. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

I definitely prefer some singing with my metal but am not opposed to some growls and screams mixed in. It doesn't matter to me whether or not the guitars are detuned as long as the playing is interesting.

It's hard nowadays to classify what is metal but, depending on my mood, I enjoy:

Opeth

Evergrey

Iced Earth

Staind

System of a Down

Classic Metallica

The more melodic side of Pantera

Guitarzan.....your avitar is bleepin awsome :thu::thu: . so much so that I keep losing my place when I am reading your posts. :)

Fav metel bands.

Dream theater...more prog then metal

megadeth

alice in chains

Sabbath

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

Originally posted by bytored:

Guitarzan.....your avitar is bleepin awsome :thu::thu: . so much so that I keep losing my place when I am reading your posts. :)

Fav metel bands.

megadeth

alice in chains

Sabbath

thanks, i don't watch music videos but the vid that my avatar is from is wow!!!

Fav metel bands.

megadeth

alice in chains

Sabbath

What, where, how, where, need, argghh i NEED to see the video! :) Whats the song called?

for sure Motorhead.

in fact they are still putting out!

I LOVE Motorhead... My first album from them was Orgasmatron. What a great title and song! Watch this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMs1b-iNRsw

Motorhead is one band that has always blurred the line between hard rock, metal, punk, etc. Pretty much loved by all rockers and hated by everyone else!!! Can anyone here explain why???

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

Originally posted by Trucks.Of.Love:

Fav metel bands.

megadeth

alice in chains

Sabbath

What, where, how, where, need, argghh i NEED to see the video! :) Whats the song called?
lady marmalade

1. metallica!

2. avenged sevenfold

3. dream theater. john petrucci is my idol

4. dragonforce - i love power metal. and herman li rocks

5. trivium

dont detune. its an easy way out.

ummm...all screamo bands are weird. some are alright some suck. personally i like underoath but hey, there a boit weird too :P

A Life Lived In Fear Is A Life Half - Lived

dont detune. its an easy way out. [/QB]
Nope. Not going to accept that. That's the same as telling a blues guitarist that tuning to open D is "an easy way out", despite the brilliance Jimmy Page displayed in "When the Levee Breaks"...

It's only an easy way out if you ride the D-A all day long instead of building full chords off the drop tuning.

Alternate tunings are great when you already understand and can play in standard. They are all legitimate, and can all be used effectively, by the right player in the right situation.

Nope. Not going to accept that. That's the same as telling a blues guitarist that tuning to open D is "an easy way out", despite the brilliance Jimmy Page displayed in "When the Levee Breaks"...

It's only an easy way out if you ride the D-A all day long instead of building full chords off the drop tuning.

Alternate tunings are great when you already understand and can play in standard. They are all legitimate, and can all be used effectively, by the right player in the right situation. [/QB]

It began with Black Sabbath.

UFO

Judas Priest

Ratt

Dokken

...and other Melodic Metal bands.

Bands like Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, and Zeppelin were Hard Rock...my faves and the Rock style I prefer over pure Heavy Metal

The Cookie Monster bands are hilarious to listen to. :D

Current Heavy Metal.... :bor:

Many have good players playing atonal crap.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Top three without doubt:

Slayer

Sepultura

Pantera

All time fav:

Faith No More

Others:

Unearth

Lamb Of God

Mushroomhead

Nevermore

Trivium

The Haunted

All That Remains

Between The Buried and Me

Silent Civilian

The Balck Dahlia Murder

Arch Enemy

Machine Head

Biohazard

Anthrax

Metallica

Megadeth

Dream Theatre

Children Of Bodom

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Nope. Not going to accept that. That's the same as telling a blues guitarist that tuning to open D is "an easy way out", despite the brilliance Jimmy Page displayed in "When the Levee Breaks"...[/QB]
Agreed. Blues, Rock, Metal, Slide. All areas where alternate tunings can be invaluable.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Archived