Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

we must give what we expect.

mike.j.s.walker

Hello,

I am writing to you because I wish to make people aware of a situation in which I find myself with Roger Nichols.

I sent an album project for Roger to mix 8 months ago. He said he would mix it 'in a week'. In good faith (which I now realize was idiotic) I sent him the money up front ($7500). After a month I had received nothing and there followed a brief period of reassurance from Roger (via email) that he was 'making progress' and that he would have it done 'by the weekend'.

There was then a period of 3 months where I heard nothing despite numerous and constant attempts to email and telephone him.

Eventually (and I now realise by shear fluke) I managed to speak

to him on the phone. He informed me that he had a bereavement in his family and had lost track of his emails for a number of reasons. I took him at his word (something I now regret) and he said he would take a couple of days to sort himself out then would get on with the job and send the mix.

This was 4 months ago and I still have not received anything and once again he will not respond to emails or telephone calls.

A friend of mine was in Clearwater last week and I asked him to

call at Roger's address with a letter asking for the hard drive

and the money to be returned. My friend managed to contact a guy called Ryan whom I believe to be a colleague or employee of

Roger's. Roger was faxed the letter and my friend had a telephone conversation with Roger in which he agreed to return the hard drive and the money. He posted the hard drive which I now have.

Since that telephone call I have heard nothing from Roger

regarding the money. Once again he will not respond to email or telephone calls.

So, just to clarify... 8 months ago I sent Roger Nichol's an album

of music on a hard drive and $7500 which he said he would mix in a week. After all that time I now have the hard drive back (unmixed) and cannot contact Roger despite all efforts. Last week he said he would arrange to send the money back. I have not received anything at all.

Thank you for taking the time to read this email. Please pass it on to anyone that you think might need to know about the

possibility of dealing with this man.

Mike Walker and Iain Dixon.

Manchester. UK. +44 (0) 161 654 9757

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's Roger Nichols?

Sorry to be a hard ass here but why would you pay for something up front like that? I could see a good faith deposit, but shelling out $7500 up front? Wow. Maybe that's the mixing business. I don't know.

Is this Clearwater, Florida you are talking about? If that's the case, I sure don't know what legal recourse a non US citizen would have in our court system, but you should be logging some formal complaints of fraud with his local attorney generals office at the very least.

I hate dishonesty. It seems money is one of those things that brings out the worst in people. Good luck on your endeaver. I hope you recover your money.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I found this Roger Nichols on the internet. I sent him an email saying that I had a cd I needed mixed and asked for costs and terms. If he responds, I'll tell him I've heard rumors that he is not doing the work he is paid for and not refunding money. I won't mention any names, but I'd like to hear his resonse.

bbach

Originally posted by Bbach1:

I found this Roger Nichols on the internet. I sent him an email saying that I had a cd I needed mixed and asked for costs and terms. If he responds, I'll tell him I've heard rumors that he is not doing the work he is paid for and not refunding money. I won't mention any names, but I'd like to hear his resonse.

Good idea, Sherlock!

:thu::thu:

Do keep us posted about any response you get.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

I used to know a Roger Nichols. He and my step-sister shacked up for about 6 months. He imagined himself as a Rock Star..thankfully, I lost track of him about 30 years ago. I'm pretty sure that it's not the same Roger Nichols...I would be willing to bet good money that somebody killed the one I knew years ago. I wouldn't have trusted him to take the garbage out....he was definitly defective. If, by some cruel fluke of nature, it's the same one, he would be in his mid fifties now..probably still wearing that god-awful Joe Dirt mullet.

At any rate...sorry you lost your money, Mike. You probably should be prepared to never see a penny of it back, though. Judging from his actions to this point, I would say that the scumbag sonofabitch has no intentions of giving you any money back. Unfortunately, the world is full of low life like that.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Well...for all you "younger MP members"... ;) Roger Nichols use to have a forum at MP...in the early years.

Go check the MP archived forums (some you guys need to get out more often! :P ).

Also...for those of you that are old time EQ readers...Roger Nichols was always on the last page of the magazine...for many years.

And...Roger Nichols is the guy who engineered a lot of (if not all) Steely Dan's records...and he's won some Grammy Awards from it.

Anyway...I'm not saying the story here isn't true...but it sure is odd.

Roger is now creating software plugins with his company "Roger Nichols Digital"...and, if you have a current copy of Electronic Musician, he is featured in the article "Drum Replacement Primer". He is one of the first engineers to make a drum replacement system back in the late 70s, called "Wendel".

It was used a lot on the Steely Dan sessions.

I always like reading Roger's commentary in EQ...he seemed like a cool guy. I hope this is all just a confused situation, as he doesn't appear to be the type to steal money from people...

...but I guess anything is possible given the right set of circumstances.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Never heard of that Roger Nichols....I know the one I knew couldn't have possibly accomplished anything anywhere near that level. :)

At any rate, there's no excuse for not having returned this money (If Mike's account of events is accurate). He could have simply returned the money along with the disk and been done with it, if his intentions were honest and honorable.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I just wonder why the guy doesn't go over to Roger's own forum..."IO Forums"...and post his story there.

I'm sure he would get much more attention! :thu:

http://www.ioforums.net/forums/

Heck...if you Google "Roger Nichols"...you can see that he is found all over the place...doing all kinds of stuff..

...so I'm still thinnking that maybe things just got lost in the shuffle...

...though I can really understand how 4 months of asking for your money back...can make one think otherwise!

guys its heartwarming to see a discussion going on about something me and my friend have felt alone in for some time. every word is true. not gonna take a chance with a post like this. It's important to understand we got the hard drive back unmixed after 8 months of heartache. but no money. i'm with Sasquatch. why not just send it back months ago and let honest people get on with making a living? It took a lot to write an open letter. I felt i was betraying someone who had been a hero of mine. I wish him no malice. i just want him to return what is ours. Check it out for yourself Miro. I'd be interested in what you dig up. Mike

Originally posted by mike.j.s.walker:

guys its heartwarming to see a discussion going on about something me and my friend have felt alone in for some time. every word is true. not gonna take a chance with a post like this. It's important to understand we got the hard drive back unmixed after 8 months of heartache. but no money. i'm with Sasquatch. why not just send it back months ago and let honest people get on with making a living? It took a lot to write an open letter. I felt i was betraying someone who had been a hero of mine. I wish him no malice. i just want him to return what is ours. Check it out for yourself Miro. I'd be interested in what you dig up. Mike

So then Mike, did you try the Nichols forum as Miro suggested? It's one thing to post in on a forum where a lot of us don't even know who he is, but how about calling him out on his own forum? If in fact, the thing is true, you would surely get some response there would you not?

bbach

hi miro,

thanks for the info

i am the other guy involed in the roger nichols saga

i can tell you it's all true

and as you say very very odd

I tried to cling to the idea that it was 'lost in the shuffle' for 8 months. recent events have disavowed me of that misapprehension

entering these forums with an issue of this kind was not an easy step to take.

cheers, mate

Well, indeed when researching this fellow, he does seem to be an accomplished professional.

I guess if a person was going to put trust in someone, he seems to have the credentials. Obviously credentials don't a man make. I don't know what excuse a person could use for not refunding the money post haste. At this point, it's not his money, having read one side of the story. Give it back Roger.

bbach

Originally posted by mike.j.s.walker:

Check it out for yourself Miro. I'd be interested in what you dig up. Mike

Oh it's not that I'm doubting your story...it's just a bit odd for someone of Roger Nichols' stature to do that. He's always been well respected.

But...things change...life is full of unexpected twists and turns that make people change into something they never were. Anything is possible.

So as a side question and to get to know you guys better...

I was wondering how/why you guys hooked up with Roger in the first place?

Was there a specific reason you picked him to do your mixing?

Was it just going to be mixing...or was he supposed to do more...any editing or special processing/FX...etc?

Also...besides trying to get your money back from Roger...what are you guys doing now to get your music mixed? Are you stuck because of the missing funds...or do you have other options?

What kind of music is it?

hi miro,

indeed it is odd. we never for a second thought that a man of his professional stature would do this.

he told us that he has a special rate for independantly financed projects and part of the deal was that he gets the money up front. silly us!

as you perceptively put we are totally stuck without this money.

as to why roger... we are both life long fans of steely dan and roger's mixes. the music on this album is right in that ball park in terms of the sound (fender rhodes, organ, strings, grooves, horn section, vocals, guitars, samples - all that stuff) so the possibility of getting roger to mix it was simply amazing... too good to be true in fact.

there is a saying that 'if something is too good to be true, it isn't true'. boy is that on the money!

he even said he thought the music was 'amazing' sounded like a band he did with walter becker called 'lost tribes'. imagine how excited we were then and how dissappointed we are now. it's really horrid.

your interest is much appreciated, miro.

thank you.

Iain and Mike I am so sorry to hear of your misfoutune! Here is a link to someone that I know would help you who has loads of credentials and can be trusted with your material. I won't say much more about it but take a look at his site and take it from there, and please tell Bobby I said this sounds like a very interesting set of circumstances you find yourselves in and explain everyting, it might be very worth your while. Tell him Lee Phillips said for you to contact him http://www.soulwalking.co.uk/Bobby%20Eli.html

Archived