Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

UPDATED: Getting an electric 12-String!

Mudcat

Found a Jay Turser 12-string for $176.00 including shipping and got it on a buy it now bid!

I will finally be able to play "You Can't Do That" correctly!

http://i23.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/d6/11/cc_1.JPG

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone out there know anything about electric 12 strings? What are the vintage ones that are most sought after? How about the best of the new ones?

Trucks....I gather you are into the acoustic 12?? This local guitar store orders one that they have come up with from the Martin Custom shop, that's a large body (not a dreadnaught) with a wide neck to accomodate the 12 strings. I played a variety of 12 string acoustics about two years ago, and found that Custom Shop Martin to be my favorite. I'd have bought it, but I found a good deal on an older Martin in Braz that I could NOT pass on.

If you are intertested, I'll get more info. It is a beauty, and there are only a handfull in existance, since this store to my knowledge is the only one ordering these.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by mdrs:

Trucks....I gather you are into the acoustic 12?? This local guitar store orders one that they have come up with from the Martin Custom shop, that's a large body (not a dreadnaught) with a wide neck to accomodate the 12 strings. I played a variety of 12 string acoustics about two years ago, and found that Custom Shop Martin to be my favorite. I'd have bought it, but I found a good deal on an older Martin in Braz that I could NOT pass on.

If you are intertested, I'll get more info. It is a beauty, and there are only a handfull in existance, since this store to my knowledge is the only one ordering these.

Oh yeah man, I really do love 12 string acoustics!!!! But I have to say... Im not a Martin fan... Ive tried out various new Martins (never tried a vintage though) and was quite underwhelmed.. It could be due to me expecting more from them because of the famous name... but.. y'know.. it kinda ruined my impression of them (especially for the price tag!) :) The guitar I play the most is a $600 12 string Tanglewood, and it beats the heckerty doodarr out of any others ive played so far. If im gonna go without food for a few weeks its gonna have to be for the guitar! :D

Anyone out there know anything about electric 12 strings? What are the vintage ones that are most sought after? How about the best of the new ones?

DOC...there's only one ..Dig it! A Ric 360/12, my keyboard has one with him at every gig! what a sound it has ..instant Roger Mc.

Originally posted by ellwood:

DOC...there's only one ..Dig it! A Ric 360/12, my keyboard has one with him at every gig! what a sound it has ..instant Roger Mc.
HUMMMMMMM......I think I saw one in mapleglow on eBay..... :D

Does it strike anyone else that so many comments we make on this web site, truely belong in the GUITAR-A-HOLIC'S THREAD?? :eek:;):D

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

if it had to be an electric 12 then Ellwood is spot on for me a Ric 12 is superb, have played a good few and all of them i liked, that would be my choice but funds restrict my buying thankfully :D

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Ditto on Rickenbacker being the "standard" for electric 12-string. They have got the sound that I hear in my head when I think of what an electric 12 is supposed to sound like. They also look way-cool. :thu:

Having said that, I do find them to be a bit challenging to play. The super-skinny, super-straight neck is not exactly my cup of tea (although I think I could get by if someone wanted to give me one as a present :D ).

The other problem with Rickenbacker is I don't think you can find one for sale for under a grand. I am a cheapskate, hence my purchase of a used Jay Turser and getting a low-ball price on it at that. If I had unlimited funds I definitely would have gone for a Rickenbacker.

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

The Jay Turser Hawk 12 String came in yesterday (pictured above). Definitely a winner at $176.00.

The only negative comment I have (given the price) is it is a bit neck heavy. Other than it, the thing RAWKS! The set-up and action are good and it plays very well. The tuners stay reasonably in tune (given the price) and it sounds great. I can come close to nailing the sound of the old Fender 12 string and with the coil tap switch engaged it jangles mighty fine.

I can see possibly replacing the tuners and pick-ups in the future but I am actually quite happy with it as-is. I've been happily noodling away on a bunch of Byrds, Beatles, Who and REM stuff today! :thu:

Congratulations, Mudcat! I'm sure it'll be a blast to play! My only 12 is an old Epi that a co-worker had thrown into our prop shop. The neck heel cracked and he couldn't get it fixed. Didn't see it being worth paying for, so he chucked it with the rest of our "country/Nashville" decor in the scene shop.

When I arrived it had three strings on, almost completely slack. I asked him about it after someone mentioned they thought it was his and not the company's and he said if I could fix it, I could have it. :freak: )

Can't wait to hear it. If you have some time we have a few months of down time at the company's rehearsal studio. It's set up for dancers (no acoustic treatment) but provides a clean, otherwise quiet space to play in.

For other 12 string electrics you can check out Turser, Daisy Rock (no kidding, they make a really nice, inexpensive electric 12 for about $300, IIRC), the aforementined standard in Ric, and several others. Dean had one. So did Peavey. I don't know about them now, for certain.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived