Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Laptop for recording and mixing

Mike Z

I currently record on a desktop with a lexicon Omega and a MXL mic at the moment. I am thinking of getting a laptop to mix while I am on the road and maybe record a little. Should I go with an i-mac or pc? Any input would be appreciated.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me, Mike, you don't want to go there. Not on this forum.

The best Laptop for recording and mixing is one with plenty of power, plenty of RAM, and plenty of hard disk space.

Doesn't matter whether it's PC or Mac, honest to God. Get the best one you can fit into your budget, depending on which software interface you're more comfortable with (ProTools - PC, Logic - Mac, Sonar - PC, etc) and don't sweat it.

OK guys, shows over. Nothing to see here.

Ahem ... m...a....c...Ahem, arrh, b....o....o....kherr - just clearing my, umm....p.....r....o....throat......

Yes just go with what you're more comfortable with.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Thanks everyone. That really answers my question. I was hoping it was more of a preference issue. But I figured I'd ask the ones that have used this type of equipment before to make sure. I just wanted to make sure I didn't choose something that would work (if I did this or changed that etc, etc.)

Again thanks.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Trust me, Mike, you don't want to go there. Not on this forum.

The best Laptop for recording and mixing is one with plenty of power, plenty of RAM, and plenty of hard disk space.

Doesn't matter whether it's PC or Mac, honest to God. Get the best one you can fit into your budget, depending on which software interface you're more comfortable with (ProTools - PC, Logic - Mac, Sonar - PC, etc) and don't sweat it.

OK guys, shows over. Nothing to see here.

This is really good advice. :)

Very simple. Find the audio application that you prefer, then buy the hardware that supports it. This is not a religion, these things are tools.

I happen to have prefered, back in the old, 486 days, a program called SAW. It beat the snot out of any competition available at the time, and so I bought it and a PC. Been using the same ever since, although as I used to write about this stuff, I have tested, auditioned, or beta tested nearly every other available option, and owned several.

Right now my favorite application of all is Sequoia, which is the big brother to Samplitude. It is not without its quirks, but it is a program that does everything that I need done, all under one 'roof' so to speak. Samplitude is a great choice.

In truth, they are all great choices, which is why they are all able to stay afloat.

I've stayed with the PC for all of these years for a number of reasons, not the least of which is freedom. The closed system makeup of the Mac makes everything proprietary and therefor much more expensive than standard issue stuff.

If there was an application that suited my needs and ran better on a Mac than on a PC, believe me, I'd be running a Mac.

Don't get taken in by the hype and promo though... a computer is a computer, and there is nothing 'easier', or 'better' inherent in any computer. Remember that you don't spend your time working in an operating system, you work in an application. The Mac OSX has its own pile of 'gotcha's that are just as big a pain as those in Windows.

Oh, and all of the hardware available today will not run on an Intel based Mac, so be careful if you do decide to go with the Mac, that there are appropriate drivers for what you plan to use.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived