Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lifes been good song discussion

Guitarzan

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ellwood:

Key of A, tone is front pickup on Tele.bass rolled off about half way.

I always thought it was a Strat??? :confused:

I had only been playing a couple of years when this song came out. I was always amazed by the different styles played in the various sections (IE. the acoustic breaks, the reggae verses, the extended slide guitar part). I also really liked all of the background vocals as well. I was quite amazed by the song at the time, and quite frankly, continue to be amazed.

What was Mr. Walsh thinking when he wrote this song???

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

My favorite Joe Walsh song among many great songs! :thu:

I was beside myself when I learned the beginning riff. The vocal-like guitar melodies are always great and the layered guitar sounds are truly a testament to understanding how to make guitar sounds that are far more than the sum of their incredible parts. Never a guy to overplay, every note belongs exactly where it is without sounding like it was placed by a soul-less control freak. Qyite the opposite. He's a very under-rated songwriter who has managed to place his unique, odd, not-beautiful voice in his songs in such a way that it fits perfectly without being obnoxious or annoying.

I love the liquid quality of his guitar melodies, too. They sound as rubbery and relaxed, while still well defined as Joe's personality off the guitar appears.

I entirely agree with Mudcat, especially how he incorporated a wonderful acoustic timbre in those breaks. :thu:

I like the sparse verses followed by arranged staccato guitar/bass/drum stabs that accent, but don't follow the melody rhythm of the vocals.

It ends on a great rideout with interesting phrases. (As opposed to so many rideouts that should've been faded a minute before the group/producer decided to end the song. :rolleyes: )

Joe's definitely the real deal in my book. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

While I can sing it in my sleep it was never one of my favorite Joe songs.. perhaps the radio killed it but more likely I had an appreciation vested in earlier times. It was a rollercoaster ride with respect to the variation and variety in construction I'll agree and his best pop song.

Personally I love and still spin the Gang, Barnstorm & Smoker frequently and find these simply soulful monsters. But Seriously marks the slide toward There Goes, Average Guy and he lost me.

Then I read an interview years ago where he stated the need to get back to the simple fun of making music.

That he did.

I'm sorry if I didn't offer anything constructive there but I'm always taken by lack of attention he received prior to radio finding him.

...that is of course ... my take

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

As long as we're discussing Joe beyond this particular song, I suggest everyone get a copy of The Confessor album and listen to it no less than three times through.

The Confessor is an attitude tour de force fueled by a crisp, clear acoustic guitar chords, then nasty slide over 100-Mile Skies represented by soaring keyboards and punctuated (but not obliterated) by distorted, sustained chords. Don't know what I'm talking about?? Listen and you'll understand! :thu:

Slow Dancing is another attitude song, but different. I think that's the other one most Joe fans will relate to easily.

After that you have to open your mind to appreciate the entire album, but it's definitely worth the extra effort. Joe moved to synth backbones on many of these songs. Not my cup of tea, usually, but his humorous lyrics coupled with the specific timbres and rhythms make these songs work. But if you're looking for Funk 49, Rocky Mtn Way, or Life's Been Good you'll need to really give these songs a chance to get you where you live. They're more like the modern (then) equivalent of Life Of Illusion with its' almost goofy sounding, low note acoustic chords and mariachi horn accompanyment. ;)

A much overlooked and under-rated album that deserves a thorough listen before you make your mind up about it.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived