Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

acoustic song suggestions....?

EmptinesOf Youth

Hey guys, its been awhile since i actually contributed anything here, but i guess i took one of those long breaks from playing, too busy i guess. Well anyway, lately ive been playing a ton, but only my acoustics. I find it boring trying to make up original stuff or practicing what would ultimately lead to better improvision or whatever. So what have i been doing? Well the only thing i find fun and satisfying is strumming some chords and singing along. Its not too hard but i do have a good time doing it. Ive been messin around with:

ziggy stardust

the man who sold the world

helter skelter

dont let me down

dead flowers

just simple things that i can sing with, basically just strumming chords no fingerpicking or anything.

Does anybody have any suggestions on some other known songs that would be fun to play like this?

thanks

ryan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a hell of a lot of fun (and so did the small crowd I played for) a few months back doing a solo acoustic set featuring:

Hungry Like the Wolf

Down Under

Blue Jay Way

and other ridiculous tunes you wouldn't expect to hear on acoustic.

Moral of the story? Grab a song you like, and jam the chords and sing it! If it doesn't have a chord progression per sec, develop one that fits with the melody!

First thing that comes to my mind is to look into some Dead. Practically anything off American Beauty or Workingman's Dead would be great. "Uncle John's Band," "Friend of the Devil," and "Sugar Magnolia" would all be good starters.

Oh and you could probably work out a good version of the Allman's "Midnight Rider" as well.

Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Jimmy LaFave does some great cover stuff accoustically... His version of "Walk Away Renee" got me back into playing about a year or so ago...He also does alot of Dylan and Clapton covers... Give him a listen... He capo's alot too which always gives a tune a new sound...A tune you've been playing in standard can get boring but capo it and it's a whole new year...

"Under the Milky Way" by the Church is a fun one to play on a flattop.

I once played an acoustic version of "A Day in the Life" on a solo gig. It was fun trying to emulate the discordant crescendo at the end of the song, all alone on an acoustic guitar. :D

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I like Dylan's "Tangled Up In Blue". After you learn the basics, listen to the Dead's live version for a very cool little groove. I also like Harry Chapin stuff including "Cat's In The Cradle".

Otherwise, I agree with Griff, grab a song you like and create your own arrangement.

How about a couple by the quiet one in the middle? ;)

"Isn't It a Pity?" and "If Not for You" (actually a Dylan song) are two of my favorites from George Harrison's All Things Must Pass album. There are actually several good songs for singing while strumming an acoustic guitar to be found on this album. :thu:

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

...Otherwise, I agree with Griff, grab a song you like and create your own arrangement.

Excellent point. Much to the amusement of my kids, I have been trying to work up a version of "Sowing the Seeds of Love" on my acoustic. The results, so far, have been pretty humorous. I will get the hang of it eventually, though!

* Jet - Look what you've done (tab)

*James Taylor - Carolina in my mind (I play the cover by Matt Robinson it's better then the original one IMHO)

* Debora Wai Kapohe - At the cafe

* Paul Kelly - To her door ( easy to play but very catchy tune)

* Abba SOS covered by Tonic (great cover)

* Sinsemilia - Tout le bonheur du monde ( french reggae band and a graet tune).

*Gilbert Montagne - The fool ( originally written on the piano but I play it on the guitar sounds cool).

* The Eagles - Tequila Sunrise

(spanish guitar)

If you have not heard of some of the artists above, google it up:)

Davor

If you want ready made acoustic tunes...

Rocky Raccoon - The Beatles

Sister Golden Hair - Bread

Country Road - James Taylor

Take Me Home, Country Roads, Rocky Mtn. High, just about any other song by John Denver. Wild Montana Skies is another great one.

Horse With No Name - America

America - Simon & Garfunkel

City Of New Orleans - Steve Goodman (Done by everyone.)

I've Got A Name - Jim Croce

...to name a few.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by davorp:

...*James Taylor - Carolina in my mind (I play the cover by Matt Robinson it's better then the original one IMHO)...

I guess I'm confused. Other than the vocal it sounds like he's copping JT almost exactly.. as I do too. ;)

But more importantly, you seem to have missed the point. Ryan wrote:

just simple things that i can sing with, basically just strumming chords no fingerpicking or anything.
Carolina In My Mind can be strummed, of course, but it really comes alive with JT's fingerpicking, as evidenced in the linked video. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Junior 1:

Layla

I sure hope you mean a rocking version of it. Personally, I would gladly add every copy of the "Unplugged" version to recycling or landfill. Blech! Totally loses its' impact in that godawful version. That is, of course, my opinion. But let's just say you shouldn't play it in front of me unless you want a recreation of the "I Gave My Love A Cherry" scene in Animal House. :evil:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

All things Screamo and/or heavy metal are really fun to play on acoustic guitar.

Try these (they aren't necessarily either of the aforementioned genres, but whatev):

"Remedy" by Seether

"Helena" by My Chemical Romance

"Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin

"Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen

www.myspace.com/donahelena

Support bored teenage ghost hunters. www.myspace.com/rock_paranormal

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

City Of New Orleans - Steve Goodman (Done by everyone.)

Hard for me to listen to that song anymore. It was playing on the radio one rainy summer day back in 1985. I was on my way home from my father's wake. He hung himself a few days before - I hadn't seen him in 4 years. I got to turn 12 a month later. Happy birthday. :(

Sorry to hear it, Griff. I love that song. Can't imagine associating a song I love with such a painful memory.

My wife won't listen to Tears In Heaven for much the same reason. Her cousin's son cut himself with a knife and, after complete malpractice by the hospital, died. At his funeral a guitarist played that song and she simply can't listen to it anymore. It was already a sad song, knowing the story behind it, but that was just too much for her. :(

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I love the song too, that's the worst part. I have Arlo Guthrie's rendition on LP - but it chokes me up every time I put it on. I know exactly how your wife feels, though. I guess 21 years has been enough to where I can at least listen to the song again...

Archived