Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

U.S.A. is a great country!!!

Gruupi

Hehe, I bet you thought this was going to be political.

Well I took advantage of my forced sabbatical last week and went on a road trip to see some parts of the country I had never seen before. I took off towards the east coast to see the Atlantic Ocean for the first time. On my way through the Nashville area I got to see the fall color change which we don't see as strongly in the Dallas area. Sometimes when I would round a corner and see a hill bathed in sunlight it looked like it was literally on fire the colors were so dramatic. The Smokey Mountains were beautiful as well, I hadn't seen them since I was a kid.

I made it to the North Carolina outer banks and spent a night and day just working my way down that coastline. Its a national seashore and there are frequent places to just stop and get out and walk on the beach. It was a bit cold for swimming but I got to wade in. In some places I had a whole beach to myself and it was a downright spiritual experience. I would recommend going this time of year, I hear in summer its a madhouse. I got to sit and play guitar for a bit on a boat dock while I was waiting for the ferry back to the mainland.

It was raining hard all of the next day so I went to the N.C. Aquarium. I had never seen alligators up close before and they were right behind some glass maybe 6 inches away. I had also not seen many saltwater fish and they had a really good variety at this aquarium, the displays were really nice.

After more driving in the rain and occasional stop at the beach during dry times I made it to Savannah, GA. I went to see Fort Pulaski, which the Union built but Georgia took over a few days before seccesion. It at the time was thought to be unbreachable and the defenses were formidable. Apparently, the battle for this Fort early in the war was the first time rifled artillery was used in a siege. It completly shocked the world when the confederates surrendered after 30 hours of bombardment. The union rebuilt most of the fort and held it through the war, but in places you could still see the damage and even a cannonball imbedded in the wall.

On my way back I stopped at the Panama City (gulf coast) beach for the sunset. The surf wasn't as high as on the Atlantic but it was a beautifull beach just the same. Yesterday I drove from Pensecola to home (my god I'm tired today) but stopped to visit the battleship Alabama. Its amazing how huge that thing was.

Anyways, its great how many neat things you can see driving around the country. I have been wanting to do this forever but never made the time. I stopped and talked to people and everyone was freindly, I didn't meet a single rude person the whole trip. Now I am itching to do the west coast but need a rest first.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Originally posted by Bluesape:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/reifspano/dudley.jpg

Well, ya know, lookin' back on that comment.... :D:P

Where do you find these great pictures?
... rumour has it .. that was a staff photo from a previous career :D

It's a bloody wonder they let him back in the nations capital after that!

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Actually the United States of America are a great collection of countries as Federation with the Federal Government as a trusteeship - - - oh, wait that ended with the passage of the 14th Amendment in 1868 - - -Anyway

Glad you could make it out there, Gruppi.

I really need to get out there and do a road trip and see all of the beauty

在您得到探索您自己的家园时侯它提供您以更加宽 191;的理解多么不同我们全部是。 语言,食物,文化和传统背景我们理当如此如同源 290;

它是伟大的您能采取这次旅行。

您为它一定是好。

Oh... sorry..

Any time you get to explore your own homeland it provides you with a broader understanding of just how different we all are. The languages, foods, cultural and traditional background that we take for granted as homogenous.

It's great that you were able to take this trip.

You're certainly better for it.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Back in 71 I hich-hiked all over the country for about 6 months...Ya gotta' love the Blue Highways..... Too many stories to tell but it's a shame you can't do that today... I'm glad you had a great time Gruupi... This is a beautiful country... That's why so many people want in here and very few want out...

Gotta love those roadtrips! :thu:

I'll be taking one next week as well. I'm hauling some stuff to my son in Dayton, NV (Reno/Lake Tahoe area). I love the drive through the northern mountains in Montana and Idaho. I can never get enough.

Unfortunately, we are short on time, so it's drive out, drop off stuff, quick visit, drive home.

I'm not so sure I'm not going to become one of those traveling motor home people when I retire. I'm always up for another roadtrip.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Doh! And you didn't even call. Brat. ;)

I could've suggested a few stops along the way down I-40 if you really wanted to see parts of Tennessee.

We spent Sunday driving to Chattanooga to see the Whitwell Children's Holocaust Memorial. Moving stuff. But it's pertinent to your thread because of how beautiful the drive was. Absolutely wonderful. I still prefer the fall foliage in the upper midwest and northeast, but that was about as good as it gets in Tennessee. We went up Lookout Mtn. and walked Rock City. What a view.. 7 states, and it was a relatively clear sky, so we could see all of them. (If you care, Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama and Georgia.)

Glad you enjoyed your vacation. Next time give us a ring if you travel through Nashville. :thu:

Three...

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

oh i believe that is in our basement. ;)

We americans are happy to provide you canadians with your foundation. We have broad shoulders, and are glad to provide you with support!

:D:thu::thu:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by mdrs:

We americans are happy to provide you canadians with your foundation. We have broad shoulders, and are glad to provide you with support!

Well would you quit holding us up so high, it's getting really cold up here! :D

Originally posted by A String:

Well would you quit holding us up so high, it's getting really cold up here! :D
We'd sell you some long johns to keep you warm, but we've sent that entire industry to INDONESIA :eek:

My buisness partner is in Carrot River, Saskatchewan. I bet it's nippy up there!! I wish I was with him......we have a buddy up there who's an outfitter, and a great guy!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

Yeah, I did a tour up in Saskatchewan many years ago. Not bad once you get out of the flat, plains in the south. But man, it gets cold up there in the winter. I think at one point, it was -45C. It's not as bad as the cold down here because it's so dry, but even still...

I've been there a couple of times, on whitetail hunts. A typical temp leaving camp was -28 F!!! Luckily, it would "warm up" to -14 F by the afternoon!! :eek:;):D

We'd have sandwitches packed to eat for lunch (we would literally stay in a tree stand all day), and you'd have to break a piece of the sandwitch off, and hold it in your mouth for a while to thaw it out before you could chew it!! :eek:

I've never seen bigger agricultural fields anywhere. Those Rape seed fields stretch for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles!!

Oh Yea!!! :D:cool:

Don

i think i want to get down now, i am getting a nose bleed. :D

I've never seen bigger agricultural fields anywhere. Those Rape seed fields stretch for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles!!

Oh Yea!!! :D:cool:

Interesting, that happens to be the `mascot flower` of Chiba prefecture, where I live.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Archived