Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Counterfeit Gibsons

haywire

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm living in South Korea right now (174 days left, but who's counting?) and I see tons of stuff like this. There is a guitar shop downtown that has hundreds of guitars and I've determined that 98% of them are fakes. Gibsons, Fenders, Ibanez...Lots of stuff like you posted coming out of China right now, among others.

Originally posted by Warthog:

I'm living in South Korea right now (174 days left, but who's counting?) and I see tons of stuff like this. There is a guitar shop downtown that has hundreds of guitars and I've determined that 98% of them are fakes. Gibsons, Fenders, Ibanez...Lots of stuff like you posted coming out of China right now, among others.

Funny...I made the above post before I even looked at the EBay item...China it is...

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Hey Warthog, can't you bomb the crap out of the Chinese while you're in the neighborhood?

Easy now... lest we forget, my soon-to-be daughter is Chinese and in China.

Just thought I would pop in and say, "Hi", guys. :wave:

BTW HT, I still love ya. ;)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

If you're counting days, you must be in the military.
Life is two periods of play interupted by 40 years of work.

I'm thinking they meant the Chinese fake store. And congratulations, BiC. We had friends adopt two girls from China. Great couple. Great kids. Good to see you again.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

To many rumors and not much fakes to choose from! I heard stories about Ibonez & Fendors. One time meself took a look at Chinese Fender (w\floyd vibrato) for 300 USD. No good. That was just stories.

Anyway, if you can't find any difference between a Gibson you bought (and suspect a fake) and a real US Gibson - why should you be bothering?

The same sound\same look\same action and a real serial number to boot - which one would be considered as a fake?

keep southern rocking and the South will rise again

Hey Warthog, have you had a chance to plug in any of these fakes? I would happily buy a fake if it was a decent guitar. I have no shame.

I think the only thing holding me back from buying a counterfeit guitar is the shipping costs from China and the possibility of being completley ripped off by either not recieving the item, or getting something that is unplayable and falling apart.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I don't draw any distinction between these fakes and the ones Gibson, Fender or all the other manufacturers creating Reissue, Heritage or Relic models. They're all basically fakes... it's just that some have better endorsements.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

No... I don't agree with using the names of other corporations to sell these. That's not what I meant at all.

These knock-offs are likely as good or better than the old 70's Pan LP Custom copy I had as a kid. They do look very nice on the outside... but I guess it's what's on the inside that counts.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Crypt Picker:

How's life under the shadow of the Jonger, Warthog? Seen any runaway Taipodongs lately?

Same same. He's always been crazy...
:D Last weekend MAD TV ran a hilarious video, supposed to be the Jonger called, "I'm So Crazy!!" :D:D It was hilarious! (And a darn good video, too! :freak: )

It kills me that people are doing this on Ebay. Shure worked with the Chinese gov't years before creating a factory to build genuine Shure product in China and broke up a huge counterfeit SM58 operation. I can't imagine this guy and others like him won't get caught if Gibson works with the Beijing gov't to root them out. Of course, this particular guy is purely a small time operator. It'll be interesting to see if we hear of busts in the next few years.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Crypt Picker:

How's life under the shadow of the Jonger, Warthog? Seen any runaway Taipodongs lately?

Same same. He's always been crazy...
but unlike Waylon, it didn't keep him from going insane...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

He only wanted $90 for shipping?

I remember when the scam was to sell an authentic Gibson guitar ("for your many music instrument collection") for $2 and then ask for a zillion million dollars for shipping.

This guy seems to be approaching a normal sort of business plan, now, if he would only do something about the counterfeit product he's selling...

Are there any Chinese Chinese electric guitars out there or are they still all foreign designs?

Archived