Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rock Around The Clock

Hardtail

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On April 12th 1954 Bill Haley and The Comets finally recorded the song (Rock

Around The Clock) that had been composed specifically for them. The song was recorded in just 20 minutes - the last 20 minutes remaining of a 3-hour session in New York City.

On September 21st 1954, Bill Haley and The Comets recorded "Dim Dim The Lights" their follow-up to "Shake, Rattle And Roll" - and it was another turning point for the band. They were joined for the first time by the musician who would become the band's first official guitarist - one of the architects of rock 'n' roll guitar - Franny Beecher. Beecher drew on a background that encompassed country & western music and several years playing with Benny Goodman and Buddy Greco. Fusing his musical influences with the textures created by the Comets led to Beecher evolving a distinctive new style of guitar playing that became an inspiration for countless rock 'n' roll guitarists who followed him. Beecher would play lead guitar for The Comets for 8 years.

So, yes the guitar solo was Bill Haley, Franny Beecher joined them soon afterward and really became the innovator of this lead guitar solo style.

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

Session guitarist Danny Cedrone (who never was an official member of the band) performed the famous solo on Rock Around the Clock.

You can read all about it here (long and detailed version). Wikipedia also acknowledges Mr. Cedrone 's contributions to the recording of the song .

[EDIT] Added Wikipedia links.

Thanks. Cool info.

I should learn that one... it has some interesting tremolo picking in it. It sounds cool.

Originally posted by ellwood:

On April 12th 1954 Bill Haley and The Comets finally recorded the song (Rock

Around The Clock) that had been composed specifically for them. The song was recorded in just 20 minutes - the last 20 minutes remaining of a 3-hour session in New York City.

On September 21st 1954, Bill Haley and The Comets recorded "Dim Dim The Lights" their follow-up to "Shake, Rattle And Roll" - and it was another turning point for the band. They were joined for the first time by the musician who would become the band's first official guitarist - one of the architects of rock 'n' roll guitar - Franny Beecher. Beecher drew on a background that encompassed country & western music and several years playing with Benny Goodman and Buddy Greco. Fusing his musical influences with the textures created by the Comets led to Beecher evolving a distinctive new style of guitar playing that became an inspiration for countless rock 'n' roll guitarists who followed him. Beecher would play lead guitar for The Comets for 8 years.

So, yes the guitar solo was Bill Haley, Franny Beecher joined them soon afterward and really became the innovator of this lead guitar solo style.

Hey ellwood. Bill Haley was born in Highland Park, MI. Man.... you wouldn't want to be caught in that dump today.

The first 4 bars will be excellent to practice my tremolo picking. What better way to do that than with this solo?

Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed that tremolo picking was quite prevalent in those days (we hear it today too certainly). I'm thinking Eddie Cochran and maybe Buddy Holly did their share of it... oh.. Carl Perkins probably too.

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

I'm thinking Eddie Cochran and maybe Buddy Holly did their share of it... oh.. Carl Perkins probably too.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

And don't forget arguably the king of staccato pickers.. Dick Dale. BTW, shortly before his death I saw BH and the Comets up close in a small club. Good, fun show. Aside from the songs, the best part was the (upright) bass player, who actually rode the bass around while he played. Very cool!

Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Archived