Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boost pedal (other than the Klon)

Hardtail

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK the easy way to look at the Klon is this: When you play your amp at absolutly FULL VOLUME.. I mean no holds barred, other than knocking your ears off ..DO YOU LIKE HOW IT SOUNDS!! IF you do..you will get the SAME EXACT sound at much much lower volumes.. with the Klon it does not add anything and I mean NOTHING at all..it IS the amp. It is not like a master volume circut on a amp.. because there is a preamp color to that..this again IS the amp. Your amp will do no more and NO less through the Klon. If you hate how your amp sounds wide open... you will hate the Klon. I use the Klon on slow pretty tunes ala early BG's etc ( I Started A Joke, Massachusetts, To Love Somebody etc.) on pretty songs it lends the kind of sweet clean sustain you would expect at higher volume. It and it's harmonic properties are completely controlled from your volume knob on the guitar itself. I can't comment one way or the other on other clean boosts.

I'm interested in the Klon as well but not in the fashion that Ellwood uses his.

I like the basic tone of my Marshall (4-input non-master-volume model) but I want to send it over the top and get more sustain out of it. The Klon can do that as well (when you like the basic tone of the amp but you want more of it).

I currently use a TS (modded to 808 specs by Analogman) which is very cool but adds a bit too much compression to my taste.

Ok RHINO, the reason I put in the part about using the Klon on the slow stuff is that HT asked me how I used it on slow material in a PM. Do you mean you want to run your Marshall full volume PLUS crank in the Klon? WOW!! See I run my DSL head into a single 1960A at a lower volume on the clean channel and then let the Klon take it over the top into long crunchy sustain..but I don't run the Marshall full volume! We play in large venues usually but even there the Marshall is a bit much.

Doc, right directly from Klon..You can buy them direct from Centaur, which is Bill Finnegan. He can be

reached at:

(617) 666-1551

I talked to Mr. Finnegan, he asks you lots of questions about how you play, how you will be using the Klon, what amp you will use it with and makes recommentations: I waited over three months for mine.

sounds cool. So, obviously, he "tweeks" them to fit you amp/style/guitar??

Christmas is comming.........although I suspect it wouldn't be ready for X-mass...

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by ellwood:

Ok RHINO, the reason I put in the part about using the Klon on the slow stuff is that HT asked me how I used it on slow material in a PM. Do you mean you want to run your Marshall full volume PLUS crank in the Klon? WOW!! See I run my DSL head into a single 1960A at a lower volume on the clean channel and then let the Klon take it over the top into long crunchy sustain..but I don't run the Marshall full volume! We play in large venues usually but even there the Marshall is a bit much.

I run a HotPlate attenuator between the head and the cab to tame it a bit. I also sometime use only half the stereo 4x12. I'm still looking for a better solution to bring the volume down but the boosted Marshall has the tone. I also have a Marshall-style amp that is only one-watt and it's still extremely loud when boosted into the 4x12 (without the HotPlate).

My cab is a Marshall bottom with 4 Vintage 30's. I'm somewhat tempted to get a cab with Greenbacks and basketweave front to tame both the volume and the over-pronounced highs of the vintage 30's.

Rhino

I've tried most of the Marshall 4x12 cabs, and my favorite is the 1960TV, which as four 25 watt Greenbacks in it. It has a warmer tone, with more mid and bottoms. The cab is a bit larger than the standard Marshall 4x12 cab, which also helps warm up the tone. The only down side is that it can sound a bit "mushy" or less clear.

I even experimented a bit, but throwing two of these;

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-G12H-Heritage-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660259

and two of these;

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-G12M-Heritage-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660258

into my stock Marshall 1960A cab. I thought it was really good but not as good as the 1960TV.

I also really like the 1960 vintage 4x12.

#1 is the 1960 TV

#2 is the 1960 vintage

IMO, anyway...

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

Originally posted by Trucks.Of.Love:

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

I currently use a TS (modded to 808 specs by Analogman) which is very cool but adds a bit too much compression to my taste.

The Klon is also a modded 808 and funnily enough modded to give less compression. :)
I've got every TubeScreamer ever made, and I can tell ya it's nothing like the Klon! nothing wrong with the TubeScreamers I've used them for allot of years, but the Klon is a totally differnt pet! The TubeScreamer changes way too many things to be classified as any kind of clean boost. The Klon does not change the design characteristics of the amps native tone.

Originally posted by ellwood:

The Klon is also a modded 808 and funnily enough modded to give less compression. :)
I've got every TubeScreamer ever made, and I can tell ya it's nothing like the Klon! nothing wrong with the TubeScreamers I've used them for allot of years, but the Klon is a totally differnt pet! The TubeScreamer changes way too many things to be classified as any kind of clean boost. The Klon does not change the design characteristics of the amps native tone.
Yeah man. Just saying it was a modded 808....

Have you ever tried a Matchless HotBox? Ive just obtained a bag full of vintage tubes so im thinking of putting one together. Id also like to use that as a kind of boost and overdrive, do you know if it would do a similar thing? I know the Klon will work great with tube amps but I dont have one o them... I was hoping that getting a high voltage tube pedal might fatten up the tone a bit and provide the boost/overdirve at the same time.

As far as im aware, he keeps exactly what he does to the circuit a pretty closely guarded secret .. and I think may even put epoxy over some parts of the board.. Cant say I blame the guy, it'd be hard to be able to charge the amount he is if anybody could make one :D

Originally posted by mdrs:

Rhino

I've tried most of the Marshall 4x12 cabs, and my favorite is the 1960TV, which as four 25 watt Greenbacks in it. It has a warmer tone, with more mid and bottoms. The cab is a bit larger than the standard Marshall 4x12 cab, which also helps warm up the tone. The only down side is that it can sound a bit "mushy" or less clear.

I even experimented a bit, but throwing two of these;

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-G12H-Heritage-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660259

and two of these;

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Celestion-G12M-Heritage-Guitar-Speaker?sku=660258

into my stock Marshall 1960A cab. I thought it was really good but not as good as the 1960TV.

I also really like the 1960 vintage 4x12.

#1 is the 1960 TV

#2 is the 1960 vintage

IMO, anyway...

That is very interesting. I know I liked bottom cabinets better than tops. I also liked the vintage version better (with Vintage 30's). So I ended up with a 1960BV.

Unfortunately, they did not have any TV cabs when I brought my amp head in: I'll have to find one to try out at some point.

I've heard comments about the G12H being much brighter than G12M: is that your experience as well? (or maybe you couldn't really tell as they were all mixed in the same cab).

It's definitely a long process to fine-tune a rig (it's a good thing I enjoy the journey and its tribulations :) ).

Sorry about this little bit of highjacking HardTail.

As far as im aware, he keeps exactly what he does to the circuit a pretty closely guarded secret .. and I think may even put epoxy over some parts of the board.. Cant say I blame the guy, it'd be hard to be able to charge the amount he is if anybody could make one :D

Then why do you say it's a modded 808? who says it is?

Then I should love it!!! :love:

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

I'm looking at one of these boost pedals to enhance the tone of my setup. Am I barking up the wrong tree by considering a clean boost pedal?

A clean boost will bring you the same tone you get with your amp but push it over the edge, with more sustain.

If you could borrow any type of pedal where you can set the volume of the effected tone: set the tone of the pedal as neutral as possible (e.g. all levels to 0 if an EQ pedal, gain set to minimum if distortion pedal, etc.) and crank the output volume of the pedal.

Even though this kind of boost will not be as clean as it could be, this will give you a great demo of what a clean boost sounds and feels like. You would then know if that's what you're looking for.

BTW, a clean boost will typically enhance your tone only if you are pushing the power tubes of your amp. Using it as Ellwood does brings you the amp tone at lower volume but does not enhance it.

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

So does anyone have an alternative stomp box suggestion I could check out?

LMAO :D:D

Well put, HT....and sorry we hijacked your thread. We'll shut up now, and give it a chance.....

Don

I guess the best thing for me to do is yakk with some salesmen at G.C. (oh brother... ) and try some out then I'll know if this is what I'm looking for.

My tone is really good as is... but it's missing something... I can't quite put my finger on it. I only know that when I watched a youTube vid where some guys was demonstrating the Klon through the amp that I have, I kind of liked the tone.

Archived