Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Estaban or Roy?

Rampdog

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Product integrity aside, at least Roy built up a solid reputation as a skilled artist/performer beforehand. As far as I know most peoples introduction to Estabans world was his infomercials, but having said that, I actually heard an Estaban song on the radio this morning(CBC Canada) and it wasn't bad.

Jim

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

At least Roy used some country music bimbos to sell his piece of crap:

I KNOW I've paid good yankee dollars for one o' them bimbettes... I think it was the one on the left... but then again I was high as a kite.. (I was tryin' to be like Roy)

OK! everybody be snide about Roy, but lets be honest about how well do you think YOU, or I would do trading riffs against him on a stage, and how would your playing be judged? How many of us know what a great guitar player Roy is? I know..and he's great! oh yeah, how would we do trying to play fiddle like him or banjo? You can diss his guitar instruction book but think twice on dissing his muscianship!

Originally posted by ellwood:

OK! everybody be snide about Roy, but lets be honest about how well do you think YOU, or I would do trading riffs against him on a stage, and how would your playing be judged? How many of us know what a great guitar player Roy is? I know..and he's great! oh yeah, how would we do trying to play fiddle like him or banjo? You can diss his guitar instruction book but think twice on dissing his muscianship!

I just said I liked his bimbos. :D

Errmmm I dont even think anybody said he was a crap musician :confused:

Yep. Roy can play the strings off a banjo, guitar, bass, fiddle, or mandolin....as well as being an accomplished Classical Guitar player. He is ten times the musician that most of us will ever be in our wildest dreams. Sometimes when someone is as good as Roy Clark is, people that cannot do what he can do will try to find a chink in the armor....some way to try to bring him down to their level because they know they can never elevate themselves to his level. IMHO, Roy Clark is one of the 10 best Country and Western instrumentalists in the history of the genre...keeping company with the likes of Jerry Reed, Glen Campbell, Merle Travis, Chet Atkins...another astounding player along that same line is Ricky Skaggs.

Like I said earlier...it might be good to reserve judgement about this whole thing until one of us actually puts our hands on one of the guitars......

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I wonder if Roy is selling out... He is and always will be, IMHO, one of the greatest players alive but is he relagated to playing Branson Mo. now and selling cheap beaters? Just food for thought....

PS...Ellwood, did you make any dough selling the tractor?

Well...I'll tell you. Artists capitalize on their talents in one way or another...all artists do. That's what it's all about. Roy Clark established himself many years ago as an unbelieveable musician.

After a certain point with nearly any artist, name recognition sells as many albums as the music itself does. People buy the newest Stones album by the millions, even if it turned out to be crap music (not that that would happen...just an example)...just because it's a Stones album.

So what's the difference between that and using that same reputaion and name recognition to sell a guitar and method? It's still capitalizing on the name that he built. As long as the instrument is playable and not a rip-off like the first Estebans were, I don't see the issue. Is it selling out? Sure. What's the problem with that? I'd damned sure do it.....

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I'm sure I would do it too... I was just throwing logs on the fire... But we also have the likes of Eric Estrada (Ponch on CHIPS) selling plots in MO. He's using his name to make a living... I think what I was trying to get at is Roy hurting for money? I would think he is sitting fine but we never know what goes on in their personal lives.

I'm sure he's buying the guitars out of China...actually some of the cheapo laminate Chinese guitars are not so bad. $199.00 will get you more these days that it would 20 years ago, I think.

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

"PS...Ellwood, did you make any dough selling the tractor?"

Well kinda, I used it for three seasons, then decided to get a sevice and sold it for exactly what I paid for it, so free tractor for three years. I used it all seasons too because I also plowed with it, not just grass cutting! The guy that bought it was happy because that particular model had the power take off redesigned and the one I had fit all his accessories he allready had ..so good deal for both of us.

I'd like to see him do a banjo package. But, like real estate and location, this kind of deal is demographics, demographics, demographics. Not unlike English being considered a hard language to learn, guitar is tough to pick up and play well. It involves thinking both horizontally and vertically, as well as having a certain amount of strength and toughness in the fingers.

I didn't know who this Esteban guy was until recently when I forgot to set the "sleep" function on our bedroom TV. I woke one morning around 3:30 to catch some of his infomercial. I thought he was some character made up by ad executives to sell insurance. I;ve never seen one his guitars, so I can't comment on the quality, but I bet the Esteban guitar is still miles easier to play than the late fifties Harmony archtop my parents rented for my first lessons. I was around ten and couldn't fret the damn thing at all. High action, heavy strings and one frustrated kid. My other bet is that within a short time, you will find both the Esteban and Roy Clark package deals in garage sales for a price that might make it a good knock around campfire jam session axe.

FWIW, I think Roy Clark rules the alley of Nashville cats.

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

Ramp: "I think what I was trying to get at is Roy hurting for money? I would think he is sitting fine but we never know what goes on in their personal lives."

To me his marketing his name/reputation as a player, does not suggest any kind of financial problems. It is just another way to make money. What could be easier, a little video studio time, reading a script and making a commercial, waiting for the money to come in. If Bill Gates sold his tractor and made 100% profit I would say GREAT Bill! you can never have too much money!

You're probably right Ellwood but maybe I'm living in a dream world where the best musicians play music for the love of it... I mean, I don't see Clapton or Keef selling anything except their music... There is absolutly nothing wrong with making money but does integrity play in this? I lived in Branson for a year or so and played golf with quite a few of the "Old Superstars"... Believe me, I could tell they were just playing there because they couldn't get the gigs elsewhere... Some were nice as hell while others were snobbish and obviously felt compromised having to play a venue every night in Branson for retirees from all over the states. My point, or lack of, is Roy at the stage of having to sell boxes instead of making great music? I'm sure he's doing both but do you think he likes doing the "Esteban" thing?

I hope I'm making sense... sorry if I'm not...

It's at best all supposition isn't it Ramp! I mean we just don't know and will never know what's in their hearts, so many different situations and circumstances we all find ourselves in from day to day. Ya think maybe EC or Keef ever made any money off endorcements on guitars or Brown sound peddles? hay maybe they didn't? The Branson thing, yes I can imagine a diversity of attitudes there, probably by the numbers just about a normal cross section of differences in attitude of the general public towards just about any subject we could imagine.

Originally posted by Rampdog:

I suppose I was supposin'... :thu:

Good points made Ell.... :thu:

And you made some good ones too Ramp. This all leads me to pretty much know we are both some pretty fart smellers!!...I mean smart fellers!! :eek::D:thu:
You were right with fart smellers... I changed this little dudes diet... big mistake...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/Ramps/AmIinTrouble.jpg

Originally posted by Rampdog:

..I don't see Clapton or Keef selling anything except their music... My point, or lack of, is Roy at the stage of having to sell boxes instead of making great music? I'm sure he's doing both but do you think he likes doing the "Esteban" thing?...

You must not remember the Michelob commerxcial that Clapton (a recovering alcoholic) dis some years ago.

My observation is that a lot of those old country musicians had not problems turning a buck in other ways. Buck Owens owned a club, some radio stations, and God knows what else; Loretta Lynn did a Crisco commercial years ago; even Barbara mandrell was flogging something on TV a while back. I know there are others.

Especially for the old-timers, playing music was a job, a way of making money and getting out of, for a lot of them, crushing poverty. Tammy Wynette never gave up her beautician's license (not sure if Chuck Berry ever did). They didn't see themselves as "artistes" the way some us boomers and post-boomers have. If I had the opportunity to turn a buck by just sitting down, reading a script and plucking a few note on a $200 guitar, you better believe I would.

Roy would spank me like he was my daddy. I first saw him playing "Under The Double Eagle" on the Beverly Hillbillies and it made me want to throw my guitar out the window and cut my throat. Who do you think Danny Gatton learned from?

"If I had the opportunity to turn a buck by just sitting down, reading a script and plucking a few note on a $200 guitar, you better believe I would."

"Roy would spank me like he was my daddy. I first saw him playing "Under The Double Eagle" on the Beverly Hillbillies and it made me want to throw my guitar out the window and cut my throat. Who do you think Danny Gatton learned from?"

You said it all buddy!!

:D:thu:

Archived