Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paul Stanley; Kiss; etc.

rw2003

Okay... this post is going out to all current, former and future members of the Kiss Army! :)

Right now on VH1Classic, they are playing a 1 hr Kiss concert from sometime in the past! It appears to be the Paul/Gene/Ace/Peter. There is also a 1 hr interview featuring Paul and Gene w/ Eddie Trunk. Its really an informercial for a double DVD called Kiss Anthology (1974 -1977) to be released next week. If you like Kiss, then you'll like the show. Both will be rerun in a few hours at midnight (EST).

Also, Paul Stanley has released a solo album (Live to Win) and is starting a tour to support it. The RockStar house band is backing him, so it will be a good show to catch (IMHO). Paul Stanley has always represented what I consider to be the proper front man for a (glam) rock and roll band!

He's in Atlantic City at the House of Blues tonight and then at Irving Plaza in NYC, tomorrow night.

http://www.paulstanley.com/

http://www.paulstanley.com/images/news_images/paul%20ft.%20lauderdale.JPG

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to listen to KISS all the time around '76. When they came out with that "disco" album (Dynasty) and when I discovered Led Zeppelin, my days of listening to them were over.

I do like the albums that 'Zan mentioned though. I also like Alive II.

I think they have lost lots of fans over the last 5-7 years. No new material. No original lineup. Parading other people in Ace and Peter's makeup. Selling everything from Kiss fragrances to a Kiss coffin to make a buck. With that said, they were my first concert when I was 16 (~1978) and they were magical. Everything through Love Gun is classic. How many guitar players learned all of Ace's licks from Alive 1?

i still dig classic KISS.

and despite opinions on Ace's playing, i found he always played the right stuff on each song. the solo's were part of the song.

nice chewy tone as well, Marshall.

later stuff was more 80's riff based and not as pleasing to me.

it was only rock and roll at the start and that was good.

Newbie here. Just wanted to say I agree with BATarzan, classic Kiss was great. I forgot the album order, but after Destroyer or maybe Love Gun everything went downhill. The raw rock they played on their early albums (reflected in Kiss Alive I) was their best.

Its interesting because a big part of the classic Kiss sound is the basic drumming of Peter Criss. Its obvious on Psycho Circus that he only played on one song "Into the Void" (Ace song) and its the only one that sounds remotely like the classic lineup. I agree as well with BaTarzan that Ace wrote memorable solos - so much so that when you cover a Kiss song, you would never dream of replacing the solo with your own.

Here is some early Kiss...

Black Diamond (1973)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfKxQony3GY

Firehouse (1974)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyHT5EP0OS4

This is funny stuff... A documentary on an Ace tribute band called Aces High...

While I haven't been a KISS fan in over 20 years, it brings back memories. When I was 11 I lived in a small community in SE Texas. During the summer my brother and I made friends with a couple kids who were, looking back, pretty much juvenile delinquents. They lived across the street and were the "cool" kids of the neighborhood. My brother and I were academics and sports nuts but the Fox boys loved music. We'd spend all day all summer swimming, riding our bikes, playing football, playing with guns and fireworks, etc. Anyhow, they introduced us to KISS among others. They were like 12 and 13 years old but their Dad left them home all day while he was at work and we'd just get into minor mischief. One day we spent like 3 hours painting our faces up like KISS (since there were 4 of us) and we ran around the neighborhood all day playing football, riding our bikes, going to the convenient store to play Space Invaders, all painted-up like KISS. (I wish we had taken a poicture!) Looking back I think it was funny that my folks didn't seem to mind.

Anyhow, on another note, I have to say that for a rocker Paul Stanley has aged considerably well as opposed to most. I'd be interested to hear his new stuff. It's been since 1982 that I've had any interest in them...

I saw parts of the concert. It rocked. Brought back memories of wearing the grooves off of Alive II back in about '78. Traded the record for a set of crappy golf clubs to a kid down the street and just about wore it out that summer. I know that they weren't breaking any new ground, but that record sure did make me and my brother REALLY want to play guitar. I still love to listen to it, and watched about 15 minutes of the show with a stupid grin on my face while my wife and mother-in-law asked about 20 times if I would turn the channel and move out from in front of the TV!

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

OK, I admit I'm not a Kiss fan. When they came on the scene, I was just growing out of the hard rock thing (though I admit I continued to like Led Zep and Pink Floyd). Not to say that Kiss was "more of the same", or that they weren't a great band and a great show.

I had a good friend who was a huge Kiss fan. One Halloween he even had such a good Paul Stanley outfit (using my LP clone guitar, which he treated with proper care) that he spent a lot of time signing autographs & loving it. Not that anyone really thought Paul would really be in Ann Arbor MI.

But we used to argue because he said that Ace Frehley was a great lead guitarist. Now, all the Kiss I heard was the stuff on the radio and the stuff blasting out his stereo. It was decent playing, good control and fair speed, but IMHO extremely limited and inflexible. Most lead guitarists in the top local bands could mop the floor with either Ace or Paul, or so I thought based on what I heard. great entertainment, but hardly great musicianship.

Was it just me? Or did I only hear too small a fraction of his playing to judge?

PS: I don't mean to dis any Kiss fans; I definitely see why people would dig them, and I'd have been a big fan too if I had been born just a couple years later. Plus I hear their concerts were amazing, and wish I had gone to one just for the experience.

(I no longer particularly care for Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, or Grand Funk, either -- bands that more or less taught me how to play in my early teens. Hopefully I've pretty much gotten over the Black Sabbath influence!)

Did anybody remember them playing on The Midnight Special around '75? :D

Although I knew they weren't great players, they fascinated me at the time. I had Alive, Destroyer, and Rock & Roll Over. When Love Gun came out, I lost interest.

They were cool back then. ;)

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Originally posted by learjeff:

OK, I admit I'm not a Kiss fan. When they came on the scene, I was just growing out of the hard rock thing (though I admit I continued to like Led Zep and Pink Floyd). Not to say that Kiss was "more of the same", or that they weren't a great band and a great show.

I had a good friend who was a huge Kiss fan. One Halloween he even had such a good Paul Stanley outfit (using my LP clone guitar, which he treated with proper care) that he spent a lot of time signing autographs & loving it. Not that anyone really thought Paul would really be in Ann Arbor MI.

But we used to argue because he said that Ace Frehley was a great lead guitarist. Now, all the Kiss I heard was the stuff on the radio and the stuff blasting out his stereo. It was decent playing, good control and fair speed, but IMHO extremely limited and inflexible. Most lead guitarists in the top local bands could mop the floor with either Ace or Paul, or so I thought based on what I heard. great entertainment, but hardly great musicianship.

Was it just me? Or did I only hear too small a fraction of his playing to judge?

PS: I don't mean to dis any Kiss fans; I definitely see why people would dig them, and I'd have been a big fan too if I had been born just a couple years later. Plus I hear their concerts were amazing, and wish I had gone to one just for the experience.

(I no longer particularly care for Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, or Grand Funk, either -- bands that more or less taught me how to play in my early teens. Hopefully I've pretty much gotten over the Black Sabbath influence!)

I agree with you. To me, Ace was the 70's version of C.C. Deville... maybe a little better.

KISS was a good band for me to listen to while I was in grade school. I soon outgrew them though. I still love the tune "Cold Gin" though.

Originally posted by lynyrd:

most famous band in 70-th Russia - just for the name of it! you could knew nothing of their music - anyway that was "cool" to talk about "formidable" them...

Hey lynyrd :wave:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :thu::thu:

Now, are you really a southern rocker from Moscow????

Tell us about yourself!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Back in the mid 70's Kiss was the biggest rock and roll band around. They transcended rock n roll and made it into American pop culture. Whether you were young or old, liked their music or not, you knew who they were... or at least had heard about them somehow.

For me, Kiss was the first real rock band that I got into as a kid and it was Kiss Alive (I) that got me into them. It seems that the mid-70's was the era of the double live album and Kiss Alive certainly sold its fair share.

Like many others of their generation, I think Gene and Paul idolized the Beatles when they were young and formed KISS in order to try to emmualte some of that glory/stardom/etc...

Ace Frehley... is it important how good he was/is??? Like 'Zan stated, "he played fitting solos that belonged in each tune." :thu: Ace influenced a whole generation of future guitar players to pick up Les Pauls and turn up their Marshall stacks - me included!!! Listen to his blues/pentatonic riffs/runs/etc. I hear a big Jimmy Page influence myself! He is also a fan favorite and the songs he wrote always seemed to have a bit more edge to them. Also, his first solo album sold the most out of all four and gave us New York Groove.

Here are some Ace videos to convert some folks...

Shock Me (1977) (watch the regular solo at 1:52 - 2:38 and his extended solo at 3:24.. and then 5:47 for the smoke and sound effects!)

New York Groove (1979)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZVf2OImPis

Ace Frehley (solo) Do Ya (yes, ELO!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zTsGvb_ZLk

GuitarPlayerSoCal...

Here's Duece from The Midnight Special

Ace's solo at the end is great!!!

Last but not least... today's star rockers pay tribute to Kiss and are joined by Ace at the Vh1 Rock Honors show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZwtWwGw-I0

By all means, considering the very small box he was forced into by the Gene & Paul show, Ace played more than adequately. Ultimately, his and Criss' solo albums are what brought the painful reality to Paul & Gene - that there was no question who the most talented (songwriting-wise) band members were - exactly the opposite of what they set out to demonstrate with the solo records to begin with...

Originally posted by mdrs:

Now, are you really a southern rocker from Moscow????

Tell us about yourself!! [/QB]

Not much Southern Rock here in Moscow. A lot of bands play good hard'n'heavy, much more of them play punk\alternative and a great lot - they try to get onto stage playing pop chancon (prison ballads). I am a guitar collector, not a player.

As for KISS - back in 1999 they were going to play two gigs in Moscow. I felt myself a little dizzy - all my childish dreams came through: I drove my own pink limousine and I could listen to a KISS gig!!

OK, just a week ahead their coming some stupid fired bazooka missile into US embassy building. Nobody knew what that been done for till up now... and nobody seems care - me including... Result - Kiss banned their gigs, I sold my pink limousine.

Since then I love them a bit less than before. Though they don't care.

keep southern rocking and the South will rise again

Back in the mid 70's Kiss was the biggest rock and roll band around. They transcended rock n roll and made it into American pop culture.
Well, that's a bit of hyperbole. To someone over 18 at the time they arrived on the scene, they were pretty much the pop equivalent of Britany Spears: long on presentation and short on content and innovation. Led Zep fans were not particularly impressed.

But they were a truly great party band, put on incredible shows, and icons for the teens and teenie boppers of the era. No shortage of energy, and after all, it is entertainment, not merely music.

You may have been to young to notice it, but Rock and Roll had already pretty deeply penetrated American pop culture. Seems there was a band called the Beatles, back in '63 ...

Whether you were young or old, liked their music or not, you knew who they were... or at least had heard about them somehow.
Equally true of a dozen other bands at the time, but yes, they were quite a sensation.

This was the beginning of the MTV era, which changed the focus of pop music from the music to the show. Love it or hate it, that's what happened.

Archived