Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

59 Les Paul, opinions

Guitarzan

ok we all know the deal.

the holy grail of many people.

extreme prices.

have any of you played a real 59 or reissue 59 LP?

do you feel the long neck tenon and PAF pickups or recreated PAF's are worth the trouble?

apparently Gibson reserves lighter mahogany for the reproductions.

which contradicts all the heavy is better theories.

i have read that some or all LP's have lightening holes in the body, and others have tone chambers.

so i assume lighter is a good thing.

oops i am off track....

back to my point,

who has had the experience of playing an original 59 or a new "59" custom shop reproduction?

which by the way i would kill for.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've played a '59 'holy grail' LP. It was a pleasure no doubt. The neck was wonderful and I could have played it for hours. It was over $100K. I'm pretty sure he sold it so it was worth it to somebody. So, yeah, I've played the real deal for 15 minutes or so...

Zan . . . you're the gasseous thing I've seen in a long time.

By they way, what DID you do with the P90?

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Thats cool, Steevo! :thu:

I've never played a vintage one....YET!! A friend has one, but it lives in a safe, and I've not yet managed to be around when it's been "taken for a walk". I'm working on it!!

I own a beautiful '58 re-issue in Ice Tea finish. I opted for the '58 re-issue, because I own several LP's with the "standard" 60's like neck profile, and I actually like big, thick, baseball bat necks. The '58 has a Louisville Slugger for a neck, and I really love it. It's a beauty, but also plays well, and does have a unique sound.....it's kind of a classic "honk" sound, which I'm sure doesn't make any sense to anyone but myself!!

Anyway, it's a nice axe....and a tad more affordable than an original!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by BATarzan:

sweet.

what stood out to you?

compared to an average LP.

Oh, I don't know really. At that time I had not played a Les Paul for 15 years or so (I owned a 76 Custom at one time). I recall the feel of the neck and frets as being VERY comfortable and responsive. I didn't crank it up to get a feel for the pickups though ... should have done that!

just curious Caprae.

i am not looking to buy anything for awhile.

the LGp90 was released from my grasp early in the year. i had some issues with the finish from a night of dampness at a party gig.

plus i was gassing for a Pacifica and found one on ebay, which i now own and have lent to Brett.

Doc i bet that 58 is sweet. i like the baseball bat neck as well. fills the palm.

i find it very nice and i tend to zone in better with the guitar hanging higher.

mine has the 50's style neck, though i can't say it is exactly like a 59, cause i have never had opportunity to try one. but it isn't small by a long shot.

i think i kinda understand the honk you are talking about.

i am suprised at the treble response it is super sensitive and has a very woody bell tone.

these burstbuckers are cool.

Steevo that is so cool that you had chance to play one. i wish i could at least play one sometime myself.

So overall, do you like the fat neck even after a night of playing as compared to something thinner?

I've been looking at Warmoth, etc. lately. I'm curious as to what these fatter necks are like.

Have any of you played the offset neck (SRV and Wolfgang)? How does that compare to the '59?

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

a fat neck gives you the ability to rotate your hand around the neck, and get some interesting leverage in fretting strings.

Also, I feel that the increased mass of a fat chunky neck, adds to the guitars sustain, rumble, and therefore tone......

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by caprae:

interesting - gotta try my friend's gretsch this weekend.

caprae, yeah try it try it and you will love it, necks are great and the whole guitar feels like you have enough room to do whatever you fancy. Top guitar....

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by The Big G:

Originally posted by caprae:

interesting - gotta try my friend's gretsch this weekend.

caprae, yeah try it try it and you will love it, necks are great and the whole guitar feels like you have enough room to do whatever you fancy. Top guitar....

G

Yep no doubt! LOVE those big box beauties! In fact I played mine most of the gig last night and every time I do that I fall in love with em all over again!

Archived