Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey, my calluses are back!

Billster

I've been recording some stuff, and shedding the stuff that I intend to record next.

Lots of playing = stiff skin on the fingertips.

It doesn't really affect my playing whether or not my finger tips are hard or soft, but there it is. What do you all find? Hard tips or soft, or doesn't matter?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know either. My fingertips are sort of callused and sort of not. They always stay that way. It doesn't seem to matter how much I play. Guess I'd better not do backrubs for a living. I'm told my fingers feel like rough leather. My fingers will put a snag on a silk shirt. Good think I don't like silk shirts.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

My wife is an esthetician, so she keeps my hands nice and soft. *cough* in a manly way.

All my finger tips are uncalloused, and I prefer it that way. My fretting hand index finger however, was partially severed at the tip 2 years ago. It has no feeling in it, but I don't mind. I tend to dig into the notes more with that finger and it probubly gives my playing some personality.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

i seem to grow callouses.

my fingers are firm on the end and the work i do tends to dry the tips of my fingers and help with the callouses.

yet my hands never look like i have done any manual labour.

i am allways trimming dry skin from my finger tips.

one problem i have noticed is the side of my hand, it is dry as well and tends to give overtones when i palm mute.

looks like i need a moisturizer.

I remember having nasty callouses back in my early 20's. Don't know whether that was due to more playing electric, or maybe less developed technique, or maybe wussing out now I'm old.

Callouses don't tend to grow very quickly for me and fade fast -- I have real tender feet too. I'm a keyboard player first, and sometimes go as long as a week without playing guitar. I play acoustic more than electric these days. But then I'll have a period where I'm tracking electric leads, or just having fun trying to work out some Jimi or SRV. So my callous level is always fluctuating. But my left hand fingertips are nearly always tougher than right, though usually smooth unless I've been doing more lead work than usual.

After a long session or two after not playing for a while, I've been tempted to drip a little super glue on so I can play some more. Haven't ever actually tried it, though. No doubt one of these days I'll be too tender and someone will stop by and I'll give it a try. I suspect it would work well but leave fingertips even softer after it comes off. Fine for a quick fix but bad as a habit.

Um, right palm -- I use palming techniques a lot on both electric and acoustic. Recently I was slicing vegetables in a slicer and off came a strip of skin (all the way down to the fat layer), about 1/4" wide. CRAP!

It's pretty much all healed up now, partially thanks to a new type of band-aid. There's a little ridge there now, more pain-sensitive than it should be, an annoyance but not a hindrance.

So far it doesn't seem to affect my playing but I haven't played a long session yet. Hopefully the added sensitivity will just help! (Fingers crossed.)

Musicians should not be permitted to use vegetable slicers!

Originally posted by learjeff:

Um, right palm -- I use palming techniques a lot on both electric and acoustic. Recently I was slicing vegetables in a slicer and off came a strip of skin (all the way down to the fat layer), about 1/4" wide. CRAP!

It's pretty much all healed up now, partially thanks to a new type of band-aid. There's a little ridge there now, more pain-sensitive than it should be, an annoyance but not a hindrance.

So far it doesn't seem to affect my playing but I haven't played a long session yet. Hopefully the added sensitivity will just help! (Fingers crossed.)

Musicians should not be permitted to use vegetable slicers!

What a nightmare! I'd rather temporarily loose a fretting finger than the ability to properly palm mute!

...S L A Y E R !!

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I've only been playing for like... let me see... two years, ten months, and two days, but I have some freaking beautiful calluses. i'm actually thinking of naming the gorgeous little monstrosities; they're about the size of my dog and thus deserve names (anything as big as a great dane deserves a name).

I hope y'all realize that I'm kidding.

www.myspace.com/donahelena

Support bored teenage ghost hunters. www.myspace.com/rock_paranormal

I never really lose them, even when I've stopped playing for months on end. And when I take up the guitar again, I go through a couple of days of discomfort and then they toughen up again.

HAVING SAID THAT... the other day, I got this shooting pain on the LH index fingertip that scared the crap out of me, callouses or not.

BTW: Thanks, 'Zan! I think you once suggested filing callouses down with an emery board so that the dead skin doesn't rip off every few weeks. Works like a charm. :thu:

I remember how wierd it felt as I began playing and developing callouses...numb finger tips bothered me at first. Of course that was 42 years ago......Then you don't even realize that they are numb.

My fretting hand callouses are perpetual, and unrelenting. I play pretty hard, and like fairly heavy strings, and the callouses never have let me down. I do have a problem with playing so hard that I pull the nail partially off my fingers at times, and they hurt like hell. I keep crazy glue around for when this happens, so I can still play. But the callouses are stand up, and heavy duty.

I also have excellent callouses on all of the fingers on my picking hand. I do a lot of fingerstyle, and don't use picks when I play fingerstyle. So, my four picking hand fingers have good callouses on them as well. I ALSO have a callous on the left side of my right thumb, right where the first joint under the finger nail is. That one's from hitting the strings with my thumb when I use a pick. I use the side of my thumb, and my palm for muting purposes.

We are sick, aren't we?? :eek:;):D:cool:

:thu:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

My fingers dont look like they have callouses from a few feet away, but they're very tough, i tried stabbing through one with a pencil and comparing with the same pressure on my other hand, OUCH!!! :cry: I'm getting to the point where i can oust cigarettes on them. :D:eek:

Have any of you played so hard that youu've actually cut into the callous with the strings? :eek:

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by Zephyr:

Have any of you played so hard that youu've actually cut into the callous with the strings? :eek:

Well, before 'Zan suggested sanding down the deader bits with an emery board, I HAVE ripped off bits of callouses by doing hammer on/offs.
I have to say that harsh technique like that seems a downfall. I'm at my best when I'm almost floating above the frets.

Different techniques for different ends though. Playing fast, crazy semi off the wall jazz, a lighter touch is good. Playing deep, deep electric blues, a tighter grip seems necessary.

Archived