Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Non-guitar centric music...

picker

Last night, I got a CD in that I ordered from Amazon, Blood Sweat & Tears III. I originally heard the album 35 years ago, hadn't heard it in a long time, and wanted to hear it again. That there is one great album, for as little up-front guitar work is on it.

It made me wonder if there are other non-guitar centric albums that have been part of you guys' musical development. Got any you wanna mention?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were a few synth-pop/new wave bands that I liked quite a bit back in the early/mid 80s. They all had guitar in the mix but they were definitely not "guitar-centric."

Industry - I believe they issued only one album, but it was a good one. It also featured some tasty guitar work although it was not the focus of the band's sound. In 1983 they had a moderate hit with a song called "State of the Nation."

Re-Flex - Best known for "The Politics of Dancing." :thu:

Simple Minds - I loved everything they did through the 80s.

Tears for Fears - I like their guitar playing quite a bit, but once again, it's not the focus of the band's sound.

Now for something with absolutely no guitar, I really like some of the stuff done by Kraftwerk . Let's hear it for the originators of Germanic Electronica!

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Mudcat has hit the nail on the head Simple minds through the 80's is great without a lot of guitar but charlie burchill is a superb guiatrist.

Cocteau Twins is another from the 80's that wasnt focussed around the guitar but was great music to listen to.

Mudcat sorry to say but i say Re-flex many years ago when they had that hit in the UK, after 2 songs they were forced off stage in Glasgow for playing to a full backing track including vocals, very poor, crowd didnt like it at all, more cans being thrown than i can ever remember, you cant fool all of the public all of the time !!!!

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by The Big G:

...Mudcat sorry to say but i say Re-flex many years ago when they had that hit in the UK, after 2 songs they were forced off stage in Glasgow for playing to a full backing track including vocals, very poor, crowd didnt like it at all, more cans being thrown than i can ever remember, you cant fool all of the public all of the time !!!!

Was this before or after the Milli Vanilli incident? :D

Re-Flex played the Exit/In in Nashville in early '84 (January or February - It was really cold here, that's all I remember). I wanted to make the show but I was broke, the weather was bad and I didn't want to risk driving in from Murfreesboro and getting stranded. They got very good reviews locally, even though only a handful of folks turned up to see them.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Weather Report had the occasional bit of guitar -- Ralph Towner on the second album on one track, and Zawinul and some ot the percussionists played a little once or twice over the years... then there was Santana on two tracks of their last album...

I liked Re-flex too actually,saw them on one of those `Rock Concert`-like live tv shows and they were good.

Non-guitar-going way back and way commercial, The Association were as far as I know, a totally unique group-vocals like a men`s choir without the religion, and sharp, lush harmonies. Something about their sound resonated with me.

King Crimson`s early records had guitar but no solos.

More recently I`ve been listening to a lot of world music.

Thomas Dolby-had some nice guitar fills but mostly keyboard and crafty production-centered.

Brian Eno-Before and After Science, Nerve net, etc.

Weather report`s Free as the Wind has an awesome Larry Carlton solo-hard to get the guitar element out of their music for me.

Tangerine Dream-oh yeah.

Genesis, after Steve Hackett left but before Peter Gabriel bailed.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Miles, Miles, and more Miles. He's always been just IT for me. One of the greatest ever. Kind of Blue of course is the pinnacle but I love almost everything he did from 'Round About Midnight to Bitches Brew.

Also Coltrane (particularly Favorite Things and his Live at the Village Vangaurd), Monk, MJQ (Their Porgy and Bess album is just simply beautiful every time I hear it and that's a word I don't use lightly), Keith Jarrett's Koln Concert, and early Stanley Turrentine (Up at Minton's and Blue Hour with the Three Sounds are both phenomenal although Grant Green plays on Minton's (and very well at that), it's not really a guitar album)

Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Electric Light Orchestra. Many of the tunes are not guitar centered for instance everythinG from Eldorado. Love that album.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

Steve Winwood from the 80's etc... "arc of the diver"

"The associates" were also a good 80's band that had very little guitar along with "Hue and Cry" and "Hipsway" who were excellent. oh god the 80's are all flooding back to me :D

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by AlChuck:

Weather report`s Free as the Wind has an awesome Larry Carlton solo-hard to get the guitar element out of their music for me.
WTF????

I think you are thinking of the Crusaders, dude...

Damn-quite correct.My mistake.

Originally posted by skipclone 1:

Originally posted by AlChuck:

WTF????

I think you are thinking of the Crusaders, dude...

Damn-quite correct.My mistake.
Anyway more from the fusion crowd-Ronnie and Hubert Laws, Brothers Johnson, Grover Washington...crap, I was up all night last night at a Halloween blast and tonight was the Japan Sake Association event. I can`t believe I`m blanking out on this guy, classic tune is `The In Crowd`, also `Sun Goddess`, with EW & F doing backing vocals...Ramsey Lewis. Just to get things straight, `influenced by`, not `belong on a stage with`.

I've been spinning some older rap and Chinese classical music CD's from the library lately.

The albums are from composers Zhao Jiping, Tan Dun; the rappers are Ma$e, and Wu-Tang Clan.

EDIT: forgot to mention Audra McDonald, and Mandy Moore's debut album from 2001 (I think...)

No, I'm not softening up. I still play at least a few tracks of death metal everyday... it's Halloween everyday for me!!! :D

The soundtracks for all three Lord of the Rings movies don't have a single guitar note in them, but they're inspiring... and "The King Of The Golden Hall" from The Two Towers" sounds pretty good on an electric. :thu:

www.myspace.com/donahelena

Support bored teenage ghost hunters. www.myspace.com/rock_paranormal

Archived