Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Build me a guitar, Funny turtle man.

Ol Boy Rivers

Allright yall, The follow up of the " Fender or Warmoth " topic. It was pretty much undetested that a Warmoth built guitar would be better all around, So let's shoot out some options. My budget is around or just a tip toe of Fivehundred dollors. After that White boy goes broke. It WILL be a telecaster body, It WILL be transperent amber, It WILL have the stock bridge pick up, It WILL have the standerd control plate, It WILL have gold hardwear, It WILL have the vintage SIXsaddle bridge, It WILL have the forearm and tummy cut, It WILL have the side jack, It WILL be made from alder, It WILL be the standerd for screw neck. Now, The neck. It WILL be an SRV round, It WILL have gold frets at standerd complete vintage spec's, It WILL have tuners with the split peg heads, It WILL have the standerd Top adjust truss, It WILL have a standerd nut, It WIL have the custom raduised fretboard, It WILL be a -stratocaster- peghead, It WILL have the maple on maple neck and fretboard. And it WILL have the standerd black fret markers. Now, one thing that i WANT with this guitar, And an email has allready been shot at warmoth is a P90 pickup routing for the neck, I haven't decided to keep a pickguard on it or not. Now are there any questions, Ideas, Input, Ideals, Or anything to that nature? Seriously yall, Don't get silent on the ol'boy. This WILL BE a reality, It just might take me a month or so to make sure it happens. Thanks.
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had a similar idea for a tele...except if it were me, I'd go with swamp ash. I love the idea of a p90 in the neck. This may go against your need for the standard bridge pickup, but i'd love to see a 5-way switch on a tele that goes neck/both series/both parallel/bridge tapped output/bridge full output. I think seymour duncan makes some tele pickups with dual output stages. I know their quarterpound is one. That way you could have a vintage bridge pickup output or kick it into overdrive with extra hot wiring.

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

there's a difference between swamp ash and northern "hard" ash. There's a tone wood guide on the warmoth website. If I remember correctly, swamp ash is light and very resonant & responsive over all frequencies. Hard ash is probably closer to alder but a little brighter, much denser than swamp ash, and therefore heavier with more sustain. I'd guess that swamp ash is more musical and responsive (I believe this is the kind on the original '52 tele's). Hard ash has the sustain and jangle you may be looking for, but is less balanced.

You shouln't need locking tuners unless you play very hard or use a trem.

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

Yeah, I bend pretty mean but it isn't to the point of slapping tune out. AND I'll look in my infamous " Guitar Bible " To see what guitars were made out of what. Alot of Fenders stuff is Swamp ash instead of Northern ash, I'll take Leo's word on quality any day.

Wise choice :thu:

Now quit it! The more suggestions you take from me, the more jealous I get! ;)

That should be a very nice piece of guitar when you're done with it. :eek:

-Andy

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Ya might find that you're already over your budget here. :idea:

yeah, and how.

Everyone likes what they like, but even from their overstock/unsold pile, a finsihed neck is over $200 and a finished body is over $350. So if you go cobble something respectable together from their overstock, you're already past your figure, pre gold this and special that. For $500 you'd have trouble accomplishing that goal buying a Squire tele and modding it.

I gotta ask though.. gold frets???? what is standard vintage spec about that? and the standard vintage spec on the bridge is not six saddle.

By the way, Reverend makes some guitars that are probably pretty darned close to what you want, and they look and sound great, and will possibly hld their lavue a little better than a Warmoth... juts a thought. Still over $500, though. Oh, and the G&L has to be mentioned again here, for the same reasons.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I thought that I would check out ebay since we were talking about resale value... you may be able to get your guitar from which to work/mod from ebay for a couple of hundred dollars, if you are willing to work with what is available. there are a couple of Warmoth/Teles going there for not much money. Might be a place to start, make your mods as you can aford them.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Hmm...Goldfrets, Take them off. They don't have enough options and there UBER high. I want the six saddle because is mocks the three barrel saddles, But it allows MUCH MORE ability to set that guitar up good. I sent a message into them last night, Still waiting to hear it back. And, I may just have to save up longer. On the vintage spec, Mabye i'll going off the lines A LITTLE! Let's call it Vintage-modern.

Originally posted by Ol' Boy Rivers:

Hmm...Goldfrets, Take them off. They don't have enough options and there UBER high. I want the six saddle because is mocks the three barrel saddles, But it allows MUCH MORE ability to set that guitar up good. I sent a message into them last night, Still waiting to hear it back. And, I may just have to save up longer. On the vintage spec, Mabye i'll going off the lines A LITTLE! Let's call it Vintage-modern.

Wow, Price...It's shooting up to around 800+ just for the body and neck...I dunno, I may be saving this for a time i have the ability to make extra money, And sticking with a standerd Telecaster.

The coolest Tele I've come across in years is the Squire Tele Custom II: Duncan P90s, 22 frets, maple neck , including the board. It drips tone, plays like a dream, and looks great. Dunno why Fender hasn't had the sense to market it as a US Fender. Except for the name on the headstock, it's just about what I'd order from the Custom Shop if I were obsessed enough to pay the pound of flesh they'd want for it.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

The coolest Tele I've come across in years is the Squire Tele Custom II: Duncan P90s, 22 frets, maple neck , including the board. It drips tone, plays like a dream, and looks great. Dunno why Fender hasn't had the sense to makrket it as a US Fender. Except for the name on the headstock, it's just about what I'd order from the Custom Shop if I were obsessed enough to pay the pound of flesh they'd want for it.

Just for giggles, how much is that tele?

That's a sure perty' price. I looked at squireguitar.com, Agathis body...Now...I've not had very many good reps with agathis, BUT the blue monkey says it DOES sound good...Look's look ol'boy will forget his warmoth dream, And look into Rondomusic and that squire. ( Oh shush, You all knew it would happen! :P )

Let's put it this way - I've already got the real thing, and this would ease my GAS for P90s. I've got some hesitation with the name and offshore build aspect, but if I had no Tele and limited funds, I'd snag it! In fact, it is on my to-snag list already. It plays and sounds just fine, and I think it blows everything else away for the price. I've not played an Agile, so I can't include them here, but check this one out! :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I was gonna say .. you can get all that for $500? Sign me up!!!

BTW, having had a cheap guitar with gold hardware, I advise against it. When the gold starts to wear off (as it quickly will, if you play it rather than worship it), it looks like dogmeat.

In fact, the guitar I'm reworking now (posted on a couple of other threads I started, see pics there if you're interested) started out life with gold hardware and is going to end up as chrome.

Those Reverand guitars are sweet, but I don't think they have the forearm and tummy cuts. Those were two of the genius strokes on the Strat, and more guitars should be that way.

The sweetest telly I ever held was in on consignment, and was a mostly stock late 50's / early 60's tele except for these cuts, some obviously excellent fretwork, and other minor changes that improved playability but ruined it as a collector's item. I wanted to take that baby home but with a $1700 tag in 1999, well, I let it go.

Not sure how they did it, but even with the old short radius neck, I could bend high notes way up without fretting out, a problem I always seem to have with curved necks and low action. Man did that baby wail, and it was comfy too. Ah, the ones that get away -- even the ones when we're not really fishing with baited hook -- ya just never forget 'em!

Originally posted by rw2003:

I just checked Musician's Friend for a price...

$230!

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/0/4/276204.jpg

That's a good looking Tele. For the money, you can't beat a Squire. I just bought a Squire Standard Strat, and for the price, it's a great guitar. It's no American Strat, but for my living room concerts, it does the trick.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

Archived